BREAKING: Donnelly opens double-digit lead in final Howey Indiana poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:42:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  BREAKING: Donnelly opens double-digit lead in final Howey Indiana poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: BREAKING: Donnelly opens double-digit lead in final Howey Indiana poll  (Read 5802 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »

Terrific news! I love that the fake moderate posters in Indiana will be represented by an "evil" Democrat.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »

Terrific news! I love that the fake moderate posters in Indiana will be represented by an "evil" Democrat.
You really need to educate yourself.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »

The irony here is that Donnelly has a very similar position on abortion to Mourdock.

Ah, you see it's all about how you play the game. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

Thanks God!!! Cheesy Appropriately enough, I must say... Wink

Becca's right. You can't vote for Mourdock and call yourself a moderate, period.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »

Is there something about being a conservative insurgent challenger that makes someone a terrible candidate? It seems like Angle, Buck, Miller, Akin, and Mourdock all could have been Senators if they had been at least semi-competent in how they handled their campaigns. 
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »

It's just the fact that the current Republican party is already a far right party as a whole, so when people even more extreme than the "mainstream" candidates are nominated for statewide office, eventually it's bound to turn people off.

And I'm plenty educated thank you. Much like many politicians, certain posters here feign moderation for personal popularity. I personally respect the honest conservatives more.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

Thanks God!!! Cheesy Appropriately enough, I must say... Wink

Becca's right. You can't vote for Mourdock and call yourself a moderate, period.
Roll Eyes As usual with Becca's posts, there are several inaccuracies. I don't label myself as a moderate - while I have moderate issues, which puts me to the left of many in the Republican Party and would probably get me labeled a RINO, the issues that are most important to be (Debt, Role of Government), I am very conservative, and I do agree with Mourdock much more than Donnelly on those issues.

Now, I absolutely detest Mourdock, and I always have, but he had somewhat moderated his rhetoric during the campaign, and when I voted, I decided to vote for him because I agree with him on my most important issues and I also would like for Republicans to take a Senate majority. This vote was made before the abortion comments - had I known he would say something this idiotic, I would have voted for Horning or not voted at all. Now, especially due to the fact that Republicans won't take the Senate regardless, I'm supporting Donnelly, as I think he has Indiana's interests at heart, even though I have major disagreements with him. Another inaccuracy, which is what I was pointing out with my original post, is her implying that I think Donnelly is an "evil" Democrat. I don't - I've always thought he is a good guy, and if we were represented by a Democrat, he'd be one of my top choices. If she actually knew my thoughts and feelings on this entire race that I have expressed before, she would have known that.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »

You can't use the "I voted before the comment" excuse when you still support him and Todd Akin.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

You can't use the "I voted before the comment" excuse when you still support him and Todd Akin.
...the flaw with this argument is that I don't still support Mourdock.

The irony here is that Democrats are all rushing to Donnelly's side on this, yet Donnelly is also a very pro-life candidate. At least in Missouri, there was a stark contrast between the two candidates on abortion.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »

Why would you turn on Mourdock if (according to you) Donnelly is essentially the same on the issue involved in the controversy? And if Akin's worse comments are more forgivable simply because McCaskill is pro-choice, doesn't that suggest you support the extreme pro-life position anyway?

This doesn't make any sense. Are you saying you support moderate style over moderate substance?

And pro-life Democrats are disgusting but they don't really do anything about it and certainly can't through the power of their own party. It's one of the issues they use to seem "moderate" in backwards states like Indiana. Republicans on the other hand actually want to set the clock back 60 years.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

Maybe Donnelly is a Blue Dog pro-life moron, but I doubt he's a misogynistic creep.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

Maybe Donnelly is a Blue Dog pro-life moron, but I doubt he's a misogynistic creep.
Correct but Akin certainly is, and much worse than Mourdock.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »

Is there something about being a conservative insurgent challenger that makes someone a terrible candidate? It seems like Angle, Buck, Miller, Akin, and Mourdock all could have been Senators if they had been at least semi-competent in how they handled their campaigns. 
Indeed, and I agree completely on that.

They are often less experienced politicians and thus lack the suave that allows a Donnelly to get away with what Mourdock wasn't able to. Their campaign staff is often less capable as well because the best and brightest are bought by the people with the most donations, and they are the emirs of incumbenstan, because they get all the big money donations from special interests.

If I recall, Rubio flopped in his first quarter fundraising and cleaned house. Pat Toomey had ran before and he knew how to win working class voters (his most difficult constituency) from his days representing the Lehigh Valley in Congress. Rand Paul's campaign successfully dodged many attempts the Democrats made to link him to his father on issue after issue with basically, "Thats nice, but my dad isn't running in this election in KY, I am".

I still can't wrap my head around a 12 year incumbent Congressman like Akin being an insurgent challanger against the evil establish polticians, when his opponents were a businessman with no political experience and Missouri's version of Sarah Palin (Well they did both challenge establishment Gubernatorial candidates at one point in their careers and have similar ideologies. Tongue).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »

That's why^^^
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »

This race is over. GG, Tea Party.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »

Goddammmit Tea party. Delaware, Colorado, Nevada, Indiana.... how can anyone think this group of inbreds are GOOD for the GOP?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »

The irony here is that Donnelly has a very similar position on abortion to Mourdock.

Well yes and I suspect the majority in Indiana might agree with it. However as Hash noted there's a fine line between being a pro-life Blue Dog and misogynistic scum.

And yes, good job Tea Party!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »

Well yes and I suspect the majority in Indiana might agree with it. However as Hash noted there's a fine line between being a pro-life Blue Dog and misogynistic scum.

And yes, good job Tea Party!

The best part of this is that Mourdock basically shot himself in the foot by trying to play the pro-lifer than thou card.
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 01:43:15 AM »

After lugar lost the primary Donnely's people decided that they would run a campaign aimed at disaffected Lugar voters. They believed that demcorats would be with them regardless so they have run as republican lite. It would not suprise me if Donnely voted with the dems 90+ percent of the time knowing he is a one and done senator.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:42 AM »

So people are all ready to support Murdock when he says he's against any kind of compromise, but bail on him when he says a child is a gift from God? weird.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 04:03:45 AM »

This is hilarious if Democrats manage to pick up this seat. I think it'll mean that Democrats increase their majority in the Senate, something that really was unthinkable until somewhat recently. The problem for Republicans is that you have true believers on the abortion issue (i.e. no exceptions) and that they can't help but speak what they truly believe on the issue. I can't believe they dumped Lugar in a safe seat for this.

Even if Donnelly is pro-life, the most important thing comes down to which controls the Senate and therefore controls the flow of judicial nominations. A party division among the Presidency and the Senate will have fights on the judiciary no matter how many pro-choice or pro-life senators there may be. It is the majority that matters above all else. I think Democrats understand this more than Republicans, which is why Democrats are more tolerable to pro-life candidates than Republicans are to pro-choice candidates. It is exceedingly rare for a President to have same-party senators vote against their judicial nominees. In the last four nominations (Roberts, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan), only Republican Chafee voted against Alito and Democratic Nelson against Kagan.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »

If I lived in Indiana, I'd rather have Ellsworth and Lugar than Coats and Donnelly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »

Sad to say, Murdock deserves his fate. It is a combo of the content of what he says, and the fact that that content exposes him as a dumb. I guess the Pubs have a tradition of having two nutters per cycle run in the General for the Senate (O'Donnell/Angle in 2010 and Akin/Murdock this time).
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »

If I lived in Indiana, I'd rather have Ellsworth and Lugar than Coats and Donnelly.
If I lived in Indiana, I'd rather have Coats and Donnelly than Coats and Mourdock.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

Since we are giving prefered delegations, I would prefer Stutzman and Pence were I one of the state's residents.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies