GOP has hissy fit over study showing tax cuts don't stimulate the economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:28:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP has hissy fit over study showing tax cuts don't stimulate the economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP has hissy fit over study showing tax cuts don't stimulate the economy  (Read 496 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »

...so much that the Congressional Research Service cried uncle and withdrew it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/business/questions-raised-on-withdrawal-of-congressional-research-services-report-on-tax-rates.html?ref=business

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »

One of the most ridiculous things I can think that has ever happened in this country is that the 2003 Bush tax cuts, which contained enormous tax cuts for the rich that didn't take affect for another several years were somehow an economic stimulus. The so called media of course went along with this nonsense, but just because no one called the Republicans on the insanity of that didn't mean that it wasn't totally absurd.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »

Tax cuts do stimulate the economy... provided tax rates are on the right side of the Laffer curve. They obviously aren't in America and haven't been since Reagan.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »

One of the most ridiculous things I can think that has ever happened in this country is that the 2003 Bush tax cuts, which contained enormous tax cuts for the rich that didn't take affect for another several years were somehow an economic stimulus. The so called media of course went along with this nonsense, but just because no one called the Republicans on the insanity of that didn't mean that it wasn't totally absurd.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »

Tax cuts do stimulate the economy... provided tax rates are on the right side of the Laffer curve. They obviously aren't in America and haven't been since Reagan.
The Laffer curve doesn't show when tax cuts start to stimulate the economy. It shows when tax cuts start to increase government revenues due.  Keynesians , neoclassicists and Austrians agree in principle that tax cuts stimulate the economy. The question is how much this stimulation is counteracted by economic drag from less government spending and/or larger deficits.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »

The Laffer curve doesn't show when tax cuts start to stimulate the economy. It shows when tax cuts start to increase government revenues due.  Keynesians , neoclassicists and Austrians agree in principle that tax cuts stimulate the economy. The question is how much this stimulation is counteracted by economic drag from less government spending and/or larger deficits.

Damn, I thought that was Laffer, guess I was wrong. Anyway i recall seeing a curve illustrating the affects of tax cuts at various levels. Basically it showed cutting taxes in Denmakr would be much more effective than say America.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

Damn, I thought that was Laffer, guess I was wrong. Anyway i recall seeing a curve illustrating the affects of tax cuts at various levels. Basically it showed cutting taxes in Denmakr would be much more effective than say America.

That could well be the Laffer curve if it was showing that cutting taxes in Denmark is more likely to increase tax revenues than doing so would in the US.   The optimal tax for economic growth (some would say it's zero!) and the optimal tax for government revenue are two different things - though the latter depends on the former. It's easy to get these confused.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 08:24:55 AM by Romney/Ryan Rill Rin Rassachussets! »

Obama's bureacrats publish propaganda under the guise of economics, Republicans object. How is that a hissy fit?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »

Obama's bureacrats publish propaganda under the guise of economics, Republicans object. How is that a hissy fit?

You're confused there - Laffer's your propagandist, Romneyham.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

You're confused there - Laffer's your propagandist, Romneyham.

Laffer if I recall, did not put numbers on his curve, so why do you think he is a hack? Do you think working class people  might put in fewer man hours if they pay 99% tax?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies