Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:58:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men!  (Read 11008 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »

Can I say I do have mixed feelings on this? On the one hand, I think Marokai and Progressive Realist are absolutely right and that the Democrats have progressively abandoned the working class and seem less than eager to strongly push forward an agenda that favors it. On the other hand, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who vote for a party bent on making their life as miserable as possible. I know the right-wing did an amazing good job at brainwashing them, but still. It shouldn't take much to realize that Republican policies are exactly everything they should hate.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 02:10:03 AM »

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2012, 07:45:34 AM by Politico »

I was just trying to point a statistical truth.  Blue collar whites are declining in population share, rural culture is declining, advances in technology will make the working class virtually non-existant in America by the end of the century.  I guarantee it.  Some can't fathom this, but the West and perhaps the world shortly after it is ascending beyond blue collar.  

Who do you think is going to build future buildings, infrastructure, etc.? Robots? Capital can only get you so far with tangible production of most goods, especially with regards to infrastructure. It is difficult to make do without labor when it comes to construction of most infrastructure. For example, you cannot outsource carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, etc. Yes, 3D printing will transform traditional manufacturing, but mostly overseas. That technology is going to crush China, not us. We'll still need technicians to fix those machines, of course, which is a blue collar job when you think about it. Arguably the most blue collar job of them all is that of the soldier, and we'll always have soldiers even if robots become a reality someday in the distant future.

If anything, I see many traditional blue collar occupations gaining higher and higher wages moving forward. The primary reason: Much of today's spoiled youth is afraid to get their hands dirty, let alone bloody. Current generations of young adults and children today want lots of consumption, but many of them do not want to produce anything in exchange for their consumption preferences (there are exceptions, of course). After the Baby Boomers retire/die off, many blue collar occupations will be in robust demand with relatively low supply. Heck, we already have a shortage of welders despite the dismal economy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies