Who will win Florida?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:44:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will win Florida?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win Florida?
Obama
Romney
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who will win Florida?  (Read 1171 times)
gotapresent
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »

If you believe the polls (and I know some don't...), then Florida is shaping up to be one of the more uncertain states. So who do you think will win it?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:19:31 AM »

I would say Romney by about 1%, but I wouldn't be overly shocked if Obama wins.  I do think though Obama will lead the state much of the night as the panhandle which is in central time zone is the most Republican part of the state so the numbers come in slower there.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »

I know in Palm Beach County, where I live, the spread between already-submitted ballots is a 26-point (up from 19 points four years ago) edge for the Democrats, with wait times of over seven hours at one of the 14 early-vote sites in Palm Beach County (and one that is more likely to be heavily-Democratic). If that holds throughout the state, Florida is going to to be won by the Democrats. I'm not optimistic that there isn't voter cannibalization in there, or that the tune is the same statewide, but if Florida turns out to be the state that is closest of the bunch, that's a great sign for the President.

I do think Romney will end up winning the state, however.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »

I would say Romney by about 1%, but I wouldn't be overly shocked if Obama wins.  I do think though Obama will lead the state much of the night as the panhandle which is in central time zone is the most Republican part of the state so the numbers come in slower there.
Usually, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach are the last three to come in. That being said, our Supervisor of Elections has decentralized a lot of the vote counting, which will speed things up (the vote cartridges are now driven to one of 17 sites within Palm Beach County, rather than only to the Supervisor of Elections offices, and Palm Beach County is, geographically, the largest in the state).
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »

Even if takes longer for all the votes to come in those counties, I am thinking more of early leads as the polls close at 7:00 PM Eastern time everywhere except the panhandle thus the first precincts will exclude that part of the state which tends to vote massively Republican i.e. over 70%.  I believe that is partly why they mistakenly called Florida for Gore in 2000 as the panhandle hadn't closed yet when they called it for him.  Also the northern parts of the state are more like the Deep South thus while the South maybe swinging towards the Democrats, the North is becoming more Republican like much of the South, whereas the Southern parts of the state from a cultural perspective are far more Northeastern than Southern.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »

Even if takes longer for all the votes to come in those counties, I am thinking more of early leads as the polls close at 7:00 PM Eastern time everywhere except the panhandle thus the first precincts will exclude that part of the state which tends to vote massively Republican i.e. over 70%.  I believe that is partly why they mistakenly called Florida for Gore in 2000 as the panhandle hadn't closed yet when they called it for him.  Also the northern parts of the state are more like the Deep South thus while the South maybe swinging towards the Democrats, the North is becoming more Republican like much of the South, whereas the Southern parts of the state from a cultural perspective are far more Northeastern than Southern.
The reason they mistakenly called Florida for Gore in 2000 was some exit polling data in one Tampa-area precinct that somebody made a typo on, saying it was 98% Gore when it actually wasn't close to that. Had nothing to do with the panhandle closing at 8 EST rather than 7.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »

Also, only something like 1 million out of 19 million people in Florida live in central time. If all of the results for the rest of the state are in before central time areas close it'll probably be clear who will win by swings in the rest of the state by that point.

I predict a 51.5-48 Romney win.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:30:29 AM »

Small Romney victory.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »

The last minute trend is Obama.  I'll say Obama.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »

The winner.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »

Romney by about 1%
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »

538 just recently changed it to Obama being favored, for what its worth.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »

I chose Obama in my prediction, but I expect it to be very close either way.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »

I think this is about right.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »

52.5% Obama, so almost a coin flip.  Gun to my head, I'd predict Obama, but wouldn't bet any money on it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »

If Obama wins Florida, we know this election is over.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies