Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 313985 times)
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »

I'm encouraged that most of Evans' endorsements are from local politicians while Abrams' only has the endorsements of the Georgia Democrats in Congress and outside interest groups. I was pleased to see a group of a dozen black legislators come out and endorse Evans. I was worried that the primary would be racialized which would hurt Evans, but it looks like those involved in local politics understand that Abrams is unelectable.

Doesn’t look too great that Jimmy Carter also walked back what seemed like an endorsement.
Of Abrams?

Yeah. He introduced her somewhere as something to the effect of “hopefully the next governor of GA”. IIRC the next day,  his office put out a statement saying that he hadn’t made up his mind and will support whoever gets the nom.
Yikes!

This race will certainly be interesting as it unfolds. I was done with Abrams after she refused to condemn the protesters who shouted down at Evans at the Netroots Conference holding up signs inferring she didn't support black women and compared her to Betsy Devos. When asked why they didn't like Evans they couldn't name one vote, policy decision, or otherwise. Disgusting.
I feel the same way; it'll be an interesting one to watch. I'm all in for Evans right now, and it's certainly encouraging that she's gotten the support of so many locals. She seems to have her priorities in order- I like that she's making education reform the important topic that it should be and keeping to economic issues.

That’s what made my mind up too. There’s no excuse for the way those people acted and whether Abrams likes it or not , they were her supporters. She owes Evans an apology for it. Abrams seems to be only focusing on black women. Statistically they are the large chunk of D voters in Georgia, you have to reach out to win on a bigger stage. Evans seems to be running on more broad stuff like free technical school and universal pre-k 4. I actually started donating to Evans this week.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1101 on: September 27, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »

I'm encouraged that most of Evans' endorsements are from local politicians while Abrams' only has the endorsements of the Georgia Democrats in Congress and outside interest groups. I was pleased to see a group of a dozen black legislators come out and endorse Evans. I was worried that the primary would be racialized which would hurt Evans, but it looks like those involved in local politics understand that Abrams is unelectable.

Doesn’t look too great that Jimmy Carter also walked back what seemed like an endorsement.
Of Abrams?

Yeah. He introduced her somewhere as something to the effect of “hopefully the next governor of GA”. IIRC the next day,  his office put out a statement saying that he hadn’t made up his mind and will support whoever gets the nom.
Yikes!

This race will certainly be interesting as it unfolds. I was done with Abrams after she refused to condemn the protesters who shouted down at Evans at the Netroots Conference holding up signs inferring she didn't support black women and compared her to Betsy Devos. When asked why they didn't like Evans they couldn't name one vote, policy decision, or otherwise. Disgusting.
I feel the same way; it'll be an interesting one to watch. I'm all in for Evans right now, and it's certainly encouraging that she's gotten the support of so many locals. She seems to have her priorities in order- I like that she's making education reform the important topic that it should be and keeping to economic issues.

That’s what made my mind up too. There’s no excuse for the way those people acted and whether Abrams likes it or not , they were her supporters. She owes Evans an apology for it. Abrams seems to be only focusing on black women. Statistically they are the large chunk of D voters in Georgia, you have to reach out to win on a bigger stage. Evans seems to be running on more broad stuff like free technical school and universal pre-k 4. I actually started donating to Evans this week.

That's actually a more progressive platform from Evans than I expected. And yeah, Abrams' silence isn't good. Which is too bad because from what I've heard she's been a solid legislative leader and done hard work rebuilding the party post-Murphy/Barnes/Cleland
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1102 on: September 27, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

Abrams’s feud with Kemp also doesn’t help matters
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1103 on: September 28, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2017, 07:26:31 PM by RFKFan68 »

Joining Evans' campaign under a fellowship, hoping I get a job offer after the new year. Tongue
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1104 on: October 02, 2017, 07:37:59 AM »

Apparently the first dem primary debate is tonight. First I’d heard of it but I was listening to GPB on the way to work and they played an ad about it (well more like a preview of this afternoon’s political rewind)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1105 on: October 02, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

It is streaming on Georgia Win List's website. I will post my thoughts once it is over.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1106 on: October 02, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »

Of course Abrams didn't apologize for Netroots.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1107 on: October 02, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »

I was impressed with Evans' performance, though I am a bit biased.

There are very few policy differences between the candidates but I am just completely turned off by Abrams' style. She blatantly tried to misrepresent Evans' record on education, even as Evans made it clear that one bill she tried to pin on her was before her tenure in office and another was voted for initially but she opposed it after the Senate changed it before sending it back.

Evans shined when Abrams refused to condemn the Netroots protestors and Evans issued a full throated repudiation of anyone affiliated with her campaign or not that may attempt to silence Abrams in the future.

When asked about how they would run a primary that can avoid fracturing the party for the General, I appreciated Abrams stating that race should not be interjected into this race. Evans countered that nicely by stating her campaign would be run with integrity and focused on issues that keeps families up at night. She needs to avoid directly addressing race in this primary in regards to her opponent, because her words can be easily used against her and she needs black women next November.

The segment where they discussed how they would govern with Republican majorities in the State House and Senate was interesting. Evans stating that she would gladly bear the blame of passing legislation to improve healthcare if moderate Republicans needed someone to blame was a good one. That was a nice way to reach out to ticket splitting voters. My absolute favorite part was her dedication to fair redistricting in 2020. That was one of the most important issues discussed when I met with her campaign last week. This should be on the cornerstones of her campaign that can motivate both policy wonks and apathetic voters. Voter suppression and gerrymandering must be dismantled in the state.

Also when both were asked how they would win, Evans subtly noted that she was the best candidate to win over rural ancestral Dems who voted Trump or stayed home, and to reach out suburban women in Cobb and Gwinnett counties that voted Hillary or Ossoff.

Excited for this race!
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1108 on: October 02, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

I was impressed with Evans' performance, though I am a bit biased.

There are very few policy differences between the candidates but I am just completely turned off by Abrams' style. She blatantly tried to misrepresent Evans' record on education, even as Evans made it clear that one bill she tried to pin on her was before her tenure in office and another was voted for initially but she opposed it after the Senate changed it before sending it back.

Evans shined when Abrams refused to condemn the Netroots protestors and Evans issued a full throated repudiation of anyone affiliated with her campaign or not that may attempt to silence Abrams in the future.

When asked about how they would run a primary that can avoid fracturing the party for the General, I appreciated Abrams stating that race should not be interjected into this race. Evans countered that nicely by stating her campaign would be run with integrity and focused on issues that keeps families up at night. She needs to avoid directly addressing race in this primary in regards to her opponent, because her words can be easily used against her and she needs black women next November.

The segment where they discussed how they would govern with Republican majorities in the State House and Senate was interesting. Evans stating that she would gladly bear the blame of passing legislation to improve healthcare if moderate Republicans needed someone to blame was a good one. That was a nice way to reach out to ticket splitting voters. My absolute favorite part was her dedication to fair redistricting in 2020. That was one of the most important issues discussed when I met with her campaign last week. This should be on the cornerstones of her campaign that can motivate both policy wonks and apathetic voters. Voter suppression and gerrymandering must be dismantled in the state.

Also when both were asked how they would win, Evans subtly noted that she was the best candidate to win over rural ancestral Dems who voted Trump or stayed home, and to reach out suburban women in Cobb and Gwinnett counties that voted Hillary or Ossoff.

Excited for this race!

There's something about Abrams that just rubs me the wrong way and that back and forth about healthcare was representative of it.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1109 on: October 02, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 08:02:51 PM by DTC »

Overall I liked both candidates, but the issue that made me disappointed with Stacey Abrams was about the HOPE college program. She said you shouldn't need a B average to be successful in Georgia (qualify for 80% of tuition off from HOPE). I totally disagree with lowering this requirement. A 3.0 GPA isn't that hard to get even if you're poor (although I disagree w/ SAT requirements because those disproportionately hurt poorer people). I think HOPE is pretty good as it is now, and only needs some small adjustments. I don't think we have the money to pay for more higher education funding when Georgia's K-12 schools are so poor.

So far Stacey Evans looks like the more electable candidate as well as the better governor, although I think Abrams would be almost as good. My biggest priorities for Georgia Governor:

1) Increased Infrastructure spending (particularly between Columbus and Atlanta)
2) Increased taxes to pay for funding of K-12 schools
3) Medicaid expansion
4) Redrawing congressional districts to not be complete sh**t (preferably nonpartisan districting).

Also I hate those stupid Georgia republicans that keep trying to pass religious liberty bills. Please stop. Nobody wants this garbage besides some social conservatives. I'll be pissed if Amazon doesn't make its HQ here because some social conservatives wanted their dumb bill passed.

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1110 on: October 05, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »

The Republican guys are doing a forum to start off their campaigns Saturday.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1111 on: October 05, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »

The Republican guys are doing a forum to start off their campaigns Saturday.
Who do you think the easier Republican will be to face? (If Evans get the nom of course)
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1112 on: October 05, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »

I’d say let’s wait out the Amazon deal and see where everyone stands on their religious liberty pact.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1113 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

Abrams has screwed herself by the way by the way she responded to the heckling incident. Came off as arrogant and SJWish. I don't really know who to support. I agree with Abrams more on issues but I like Evans better as a person. Don't think either will win though.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1114 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/georgia-governor-candidate-bump-stock/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think his chances of getting the GOP nomination just went up.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1115 on: October 17, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »

lol, this is sick (in the worst of ways).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1116 on: October 17, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »

Poor thing. Grasping for attention. Wonder if Deplorable will endorse him.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1117 on: October 17, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »

I'm all in on Evans at this point but damn this looks bad...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1118 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:55 PM »

Ah yes, LegallyArmedAmerica.com, that famed circle of experts. That'll sure show those nasty liberals!

This guy clearly wants Bannon's endorsement. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't already have it after his photo shoot with an armed militia a few months ago. Anyway, there's little to no way he beats Casey Cagle.

I suspect Bannon only cares about House and Senate candidates.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1119 on: October 18, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »

Yeah, I really don't think Bannon cares about a Governor's race in a state that's trending in the opposite direction of him.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1120 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »

Evans has continued to garner endorsements from local black politicians over the past week. Abrams has yet to receive an endorsement from an elected official in Georgia or anyone in the State Legislatire. This is pretty damning considering she was the Minority Leader in the State House.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1121 on: October 26, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

Evans has continued to garner endorsements from local black politicians over the past week. Abrams has yet to receive an endorsement from an elected official in Georgia or anyone in the State Legislatire. This is pretty damning considering she was the Minority Leader in the State House.

The House also rejected her pick for successor, right?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1122 on: October 26, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

Yes. Abrams may be a progressive hero to outsiders who just want her to win because of her demographics but under the gold dome she is seen as anything but. The resistance to her candidacy is strong. I expect Abrams' lack of intra-state support to be a major hitting point once the actual debates get rolling.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1123 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »

Yes. Abrams may be a progressive hero to outsiders who just want her to win because of her demographics but under the gold dome she is seen as anything but. The resistance to her candidacy is strong. I expect Abrams' lack of intra-state support to be a major hitting point once the actual debates get rolling.

I'll be interested to see who the Carters, Kasim Reeds, Theresa Thomilsons,Sally Yates's , and such endorse as time goes on.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #1124 on: November 01, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/georgia-attorney-general-quits-defense-server-wiping-case-50864399

This looks really bad
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies