Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:01:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 313868 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2475 on: July 25, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »

LMAO that "SHADY DAVID SHAFER" meme really worked:

CANDIDATE   VOTE   PCT.   
Geoff Duncan   278,750   50.1%   
David Shafer   277,110   49.9   

I HATE David Shafer! This warms my heart.

Has this race been moved from Likely to Lean Republican yet?

Why? I'm just curious.. Don't know much about either..
Slimy and corrupt, had his friends make some accusations of sexual harassing a lobbyist "go away" right before the election, and thought he was owed the seat. It's obnoxious when any politician thinks they deserve a seat due to whatever crap he or she has carried out for businesses and other politicians.

The first Abrams and Kemp attacks are in. I saw the Abrams commercial a couple of times this morning getting ready for work.

That quick? wow.

Abrams ad 7/10. Very good, but not great. The ad uses Kemp's own ads against him,which is genious, and some of those still shots are hilarious. But the ad fails to really grab viewer, and the news cycle at the beginning would have been better suited at the end.

Kemp ad 3/10 Its a typical scary ad, and poor at that. The focus on Hillary is actually bad considering this is one of the few states that trended D when the whole nation trended R. They seem to not use anything else other than she is a Radical D who will raise taxes, and is funded by Nancy Pelosi, like I havent heard that before. Not creative, and rather poor.(of course this ad was made by the RNC.)

Just as a 1 time ad... The attack ad on Abrams was much better.  But, longer term- the simple "she's too liberal b/c Clinton & Pelosi support her" will go nowhere compared to "Kemp is so crazy that he could keep companies from moving to Georgia & may ruin any progress we plan to achieve in Georgia's Economy."
Thats what I was thinking when rating. Both ads are not that good, dont get me wrong, but Abrams has more appeal to the people she needs, and has better replay value, and as I said, some of those still shots are great.

Kemp's is good, but is overplayed, and I can see in a state with two competitive races that stuff like this is going to be thrown out a lot. It runs tiresome, and seems like a stock ad that the GOP would use.

Its a good ad, but its soo similar to many other ads. The truck ad Kemp did popped. You would remember it, and The D ad uses this remembrance by taking pieces of it and making Kemp look crazy. The GOP ad, is your typical scary ad, and those blend in rather easily.

Thats why I think the D ad was superior, but they are both average.

I could see a lot of Republican's across the country falling into a similar trap that Dem's fell into with Trump...

Republican's will focus so much on "Tying the candidate to Hillary & Pelosi" (Similar to Dems only focusing on "Trump is a horrible person") ... that they (R's) will end up being totally disconnected from real issues like an economic message... thus allowing Dems to hone in on a more substantive message that ends up winning over independents.
Its not a could, its a have. They did the same thing in PA-18.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2476 on: July 25, 2018, 11:56:10 PM »

CANDIDATE   VOTE   PCT.   

Slimy and corrupt, had his friends make some accusations of sexual harassing a lobbyist "go away" right before the election, and thought he was owed the seat. It's obnoxious when any politician thinks they deserve a seat due to whatever crap he or she has carried out for businesses and other politicians.

The first Abrams and Kemp attacks are in. I saw the Abrams commercial a couple of times this morning getting ready for work.

That quick? wow.

Abrams ad 7/10. Very good, but not great. The ad uses Kemp's own ads against him,which is genious, and some of those still shots are hilarious. But the ad fails to really grab viewer, and the news cycle at the beginning would have been better suited at the end.

Kemp ad 3/10 Its a typical scary ad, and poor at that. The focus on Hillary is actually bad considering this is one of the few states that trended D when the whole nation trended R. They seem to not use anything else other than she is a Radical D who will raise taxes, and is funded by Nancy Pelosi, like I havent heard that before. Not creative, and rather poor.(of course this ad was made by the RNC.)

Just as a 1 time ad... The attack ad on Abrams was much better.  But, longer term- the simple "she's too liberal b/c Clinton & Pelosi support her" will go nowhere compared to "Kemp is so crazy that he could keep companies from moving to Georgia & may ruin any progress we plan to achieve in Georgia's Economy."
Thats what I was thinking when rating. Both ads are not that good, dont get me wrong, but Abrams has more appeal to the people she needs, and has better replay value, and as I said, some of those still shots are great.

Kemp's is good, but is overplayed, and I can see in a state with two competitive races that stuff like this is going to be thrown out a lot. It runs tiresome, and seems like a stock ad that the GOP would use.

Its a good ad, but its soo similar to many other ads. The truck ad Kemp did popped. You would remember it, and The D ad uses this remembrance by taking pieces of it and making Kemp look crazy. The GOP ad, is your typical scary ad, and those blend in rather easily.

I could see a lot of Republican's across the country falling into a similar trap that Dem's fell into with Trump...

Republican's will focus so much on "Tying the candidate to Hillary & Pelosi" (Similar to Dems only focusing on "Trump is a horrible person") ... that they (R's) will end up being totally disconnected from real issues like an economic message... thus allowing Dems to hone in on a more substantive message that ends up winning over independents.

Counterpoint: This also happened in GA-06 and Handel still pulled through despite that.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2477 on: July 26, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »

Abrams got the cover of Time:

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2478 on: July 26, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »

I’m shook. She is really doing a great job of cultivating a cultural moment. The other side thinks she’s going to flameout and only win Fulton County. They’re going to be gobsmacked on Election Night. Tongue
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #2479 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »

I’m shook. She is really doing a great job of cultivating a cultural moment. The other side thinks she’s going to flameout and only win Fulton County. They’re going to be gobsmacked on Election Night. Tongue

This is the kind of stuff which gives Abrams a big individual star in the national liberal universe-- but it doesn't necessarily do anything for her to win in November.     
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2480 on: July 26, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »

This is the kind of stuff which gives Abrams a big individual star in the national liberal universe-- but it doesn't necessarily do anything for her to win in November.     

It helps keep the firehose of out-of-state small dollar $$$ coming at minimum.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2481 on: July 26, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »

It makes people who otherwise wouldn’t pay attention think they are apart of something huge. My grandmother hasn’t voted since Obama 2008 and called me asking how to get an absentee ballot to vote for Abrams after seeing her talked about on MSNBC (of course we had to get her re-registered first). She’s obviously making her way around the state and getting her message out there but let’s be honest there are large swaths of people who will only be persuaded to get to the polls because it’s the cool thing to do and they get to be a part of a national moment.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2482 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »

I believe Georgia governor will have very high turnout this November. Stacey Abrams will bring out a ton of people (especially younger minorities) out to the polls, and Brian Kemp's campaign really resonates with many rural white voters who don't turn out as much (look at the turnout for the GOP runoff!).

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2483 on: July 26, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

Stacy Abrams will be a great Governor
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2484 on: July 26, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »

CANDIDATE   VOTE   PCT.   

That quick? wow.

Counterpoint: This also happened in GA-06 and Handel still pulled through despite that.

Correlation \=\ Causation.

The GOP tried this in many other districts, and most moved heavily to the Dems, I think GA is the exception in this case.
SCNCmod

« Reply #2485 on: July 27, 2018, 02:19:20 AM »

CANDIDATE   VOTE   PCT.   

That quick? wow.

I think that was a different race with different dynamics. (also- I think that district is more Republican than the state as a whole).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2486 on: July 27, 2018, 08:05:31 AM »

Does anyone remember what times GA was called for Deal and Trump?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2487 on: July 27, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »

I can't say I know for Deal, but Trump was projected at 11:44 PM according to this: https://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATION/ARTICLES/ElectionNight2016/pe2016elecnighttime.php
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2488 on: July 29, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2018, 09:08:05 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

It was fairly early for both Deal and Perdue as I recall. Pretty sure Perdue was called first at around 9:30. I'm wanting to say Deal was around 10:00. That moment is kinda etched into my memory from our party HQ celebration night. Cry

EDIT: Yeah, looks like Perdue was called just before 9:30 - USA Today threw their article up at 9:24 PM.

For Deal, though...Vox announced Deal had won at 11:16 PM...that doesn't seem right so I'm going to keep looking; didn't think it was that much later than Perdue (and doesn't really make sense given that the two candidates didn't over/under-perform one another by much at all statewide or in any particular region). Looks like the Deal campaign declared victory at 9:37 PM.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2489 on: July 29, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2018, 10:50:19 PM by Oryxslayer »

There is actually a full CNN 2014 broadcast on youtube, so you can actually find the exact moment the races were called.

Edit: Perdue 10:39 EST, Deal 10:44 EST. Since they are so close to each other, I suspect that was when Fulton released results, and they could accurately make a projection.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2490 on: July 30, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I’m debating whether I want to go to Stacey’s watch party, attend something local, or stay at home. Election nights give me high anxiety. Tongue
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2491 on: July 30, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I’m debating whether I want to go to Stacey’s watch party, attend something local, or stay at home. Election nights give me high anxiety. Tongue
I'd definitely go to an election party.  If Abrams ends up defying all odds, you'll want to be with people to celebrate!
GAKas
Rookie

« Reply #2492 on: July 30, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »

Augusta media is pitching this race as far left vs far right candidates. Can't see how that would help Abrams in anyway to be honest; all suburban Republican voters need is to be told the Democrat is "a raging far right leftist."
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2493 on: July 30, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »

I hate to play the "race card" but if Abrams were a white man, this race wouldn't be characterized as that at all. If hypothetical white male Stacey Abrams were putting forth a strategy of engaging disaffected Democratic voters and not pretending to be Republican to get imaginary votes he would be heralded as a visionary. You can't convince me that expanding Medicaid and redirecting tax payer dollars from private school scholarships back to public education is far left socialism.

Win or lose, I am glad Abrams is working to kill the narrative that the highest office black women can aspire to is mayor or a representative of a majority-minority urban district.

Anyway, Abrams will be in Dalton, GA on Wednesday as a part of her Jobs for Georgia Tour. Another blow to the narrative that she's only campaigning inside the 285 perimeter. LOL.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #2494 on: August 01, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »

This is probably going to be one of the most exciting and closely contested gubernatorial faces in the USA. If you want to buy into RCP's Abrams vs Kemp poll with Abrams out +2 as of a few days ago then at least early on we can call this a tossup. If Georgia and Florida both elected Democrats this year it would be almost unprecedented.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2495 on: August 01, 2018, 11:55:19 AM »

President Obama just endorsed Stacey. Hopefully both he and Michelle come visit the Peach State this fall!
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #2496 on: August 01, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »

President Obama just endorsed Stacey. Hopefully both he and Michelle come visit the Peach State this fall!

Absolutely fantastic news for the Abrams camp. It's hard to imagine that the Trump effect and Obama support is going to drastically drive up Republican turnout. If there's anyone who will get apathetic young voters who feel like Abrams doesn't have a shot to the polls it'll be Obama's blessing. If she runs a good, solid campaign it'll come down to the wire on election night.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2497 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

Absolutely fantastic news for the Abrams camp. It's hard to imagine that the Trump effect and Obama support is going to drastically drive up Republican turnout. If there's anyone who will get apathetic young voters who feel like Abrams doesn't have a shot to the polls it'll be Obama's blessing. If she runs a good, solid campaign it'll come down to the wire on election night.
Obama is no longer a boogeyman now that he’s out of office. I expect robocalls from him. Dispatching Michelle, Kamala Harris, and Gillibrand to Atlanta to shore up suburban women, Biden and Booker to South Georgia to shore up the rural black vote, Bernie to Athens for the liberal college voters. We can do this!
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #2498 on: August 01, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »

Obama is no longer a boogeyman now that he’s out of office. I expect robocalls from him. Dispatching Michelle, Kamala Harris, and Gillibrand to Atlanta to shore up suburban women, Biden and Booker to South Georgia to shore up the rural black vote, Bernie to Athens for the liberal college voters. We can do this!

This is going to sound horrible no matter how I say it but if she needs that many endorsements to be elected then she simply is not a good enough candidate to climb the hill on her own and Georgia is not ready. That list is short of President Carter stumping for her and digging up Richard Russell. She has to make her own name and cannot rely on popular Democrats that Georgia either nevee voted for or has only popular interest connection
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2499 on: August 01, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »

This is going to sound horrible no matter how I say it but if she needs that many endorsements to be elected then she simply is not a good enough candidate to climb the hill on her own and Georgia is not ready. That list is short of President Carter stumping for her and digging up Richard Russell. She has to make her own name and cannot rely on popular Democrats that Georgia either nevee voted for or has only popular interest connection
Biden, Harris, Gillibrand, and Booker are already planning on coming. LOL. I don't think it's that bad. Doug Jones had Biden, Patrick, Booker come to Alabama and Obama doing robocalls.

Abrams is not relying on these people, she is out there fighting for every vote, but some star power to shape the narrative that she actually has a chance in this red state is not a bad thing.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies