Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:25:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 310096 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: October 23, 2014, 01:33:22 AM »

Did Barrow not run this year because Nunn and Carter already made their interest known? It seems like it would've been a decent proposition since Georgia as a whole is more Democratic than his solid R district.

The DSCC were in talks with both Barrow and Nunn in 2013, and the story goes that Barrow wasn't interested in running for Senate all that much and ultimately declined. It wouldn't surprise me if Barrow just didn't want to deal with (what would have been) a very competitive primary with no guarantee of winning it. Also, Barrow loves a competitive general election and so maybe Georgia wasn't enough of an uphill battle for his tastes. Wink

My understanding is that Nunn was already definitely in and Barrow deferred to her because he wasn't willing to force a competitive primary.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #751 on: October 23, 2014, 06:19:17 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 06:25:01 AM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

Early voting figures by race look good - but more so bad.

Through Tuesday, 2014:

Total Votes Cast: 239,749

Whites: 66.7%
Blacks: 28.3%
Other: 4.0%
Latino: 0.5%
Asian: 0.5%

And to put it into perspective, here are the figures for early voting for 2010:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Get it together, minorities: nobody's going to take you seriously if you don't vote. Angry
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #752 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 10:55:22 AM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

I Purple heart how all of these scandals are coming out last-minute for practically every GAGOP statewide elected official:

WSB refuses to release the name of the woman, but digging through campaign finance reports, I only spotted one woman during that time period who received anywhere near the amount of money they mentioned - Elizabeth Dewberry - who is a novelist and who left her novelist lover in an affair to be with Ted Turner, lol.

67 contributions totaling $150,469.48

!!! Perhaps I missed a few and/or they went through other sources, but that's literally the only woman who shows up on both 2006-2007 reports frequently enough to fit the bill.

EDIT: LMAO screw you Facebook I love how four year-old articles somehow resurface around the same time every year. Without knowing the details or her name prior, I'm still impressed at how I actually did manage to dig her up on my own anyway Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #753 on: October 23, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 12:10:33 PM by Barnes »

A fascinating development in a downballot race today: the incumbent Republcian School Superintendent, John Barge, endorsed the Democract, Valarie Wilson, for the state's top education position. If you remember, Barge has always been a maverick and attempted an ill-fated primary challenge on Deal in May.

There has been some polling in this race and it's proven to be as just as competitive as the races at the top of the ballot.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #754 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 03:18:36 PM by Bacon King »

A fascinating development in a downballot race today: the incumbent Republcian School Superintendent, John Barge, endorsed the Democract, Valarie Wilson, for the state's top education position. If you remember, Barge has always been a maverick and attempted an ill-fated primary challenge on Deal in May.

There has been some polling in this race and it's proven to be as just as competitive as the races at the top of the ballot.

omg yes

btw guys if there isn't a Republican incumbent running for reelection as School Superintendent in 2018 there's a very real chance my dad's cousin will be running in the GOP primary for that office

if that happens plz forgive me because I will be actively campaigning for a Republican

(he wanted to run this year but Deal's people dissuaded him from running by giving him a cushy job as the high level administrator for a state program)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #755 on: October 23, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »

omg yes

btw guys if there isn't a Republican incumbent running for reelection as School Superintendent in 2018 there's a very real chance my dad's cousin will be running in the GOP primary for that office

if that happens plz forgive me because I will be actively campaigning for a Republican

(he wanted to run this year but Deal's people dissuaded him from running by giving him a cushy job as the high level administrator for a state program)

Angry
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »

okay bacon king but when kids in georgia don't know what evolution is I'm blaming you
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #757 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/david-perdue-signs-woman

WTF
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

Oh, I didn't see the bit about the insulin pump. Originally the video was just him signing some girl's stomach.

But yeah, the privacy complaint is stupid.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #759 on: October 25, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Michelle Nunn Is Within Reach of an Outright Victory in Georgia, according the NY Times's "Upshot" blog.

Still too optimistic for my liking, but it is quite remarkable to see the Dems chances here get progressively better over the month while they've go down in so many other places.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #760 on: October 25, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »

LOL that Nunn has a greater chance of winning than Braley in IA. I don't think any of us predicted this at the beginning of the season Smiley.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #761 on: October 25, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »

LOL that Nunn has a greater chance of winning than Braley in IA. I don't think any of us predicted this at the beginning of the season Smiley.

Over the past year I've gone back and forth between who had a better chance: Nunn or Carter.  I think most Georgia Dems here had the same issue.  I will say that I'm genuinely surprised that Nunn is surging so strongly near the end.  Surprised, but thrilled. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #762 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

Also, I know the Senate and Governor's races are the big draws for everyone's interest in Georgia this year, but every other statewide race (and there are several) have been very close in polling as well.  All of those races only have a Democrat and a Republican, so they'll all be decided on Nov. 4.  Depending on turnout and ticket-splitting there's a good chance of a few upsets on election night.

Like I said above, the School Superintendent race is the big one to watch - all polling there has been tied for week, and the incumbent Republican's endorsement of the Democrat is likely to make some impact at least.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #763 on: October 25, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »

Also, I know the Senate and Governor's races are the big draws for everyone's interest in Georgia this year, but every other statewide race (and there are several) have been very close in polling as well.  All of those races only have a Democrat and a Republican, so they'll all be decided on Nov. 4.  Depending on turnout and ticket-splitting there's a good chance of a few upsets on election night.

Like I said above, the School Superintendent race is the big one to watch - all polling there has been tied for week, and the incumbent Republican's endorsement of the Democrat is likely to make some impact at least.
Also something I've wondered about is if Nunn does relatively well among white voters, would that help any Democrats not named John Barrow in south Georgia congressional races?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #764 on: October 25, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »

Also something I've wondered about is if Nunn does relatively well among white voters, would that help any Democrats not named John Barrow in south Georgia congressional races?

There really is no room for improvement in any of the congressional races, in my opinion.  I mean, success for the Democrats overall might help improve the average Democratic incrementally, but really the way the district's are drawn now really maxes out the Democrats' chances congressionally.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 06:15:12 PM by Lief »

Is anyone watching the senate debate? Holy christ Amanda Swafford is the dumbest person I've ever seen, why is she allowed at this debate.

Also Michelle Nunn is a fantastic debater and I think I also have a crush on her now.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »

Is anyone watching the senate debate? Holy christ Amanda Swafford is the dumbest person I've ever seen, why is she allowed at this debate.

Also Michelle Nunn is a fantastic debater and I think I also have a crush on her now.

That's a general quality with most Georgia Libertarians; and Nunn has proven to be a pretty fantastic debater, very good at hammering on the outsourcing line.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #767 on: October 27, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »

SIXTY EIGHT PERCENT of voters yesterday were black, holy crap

thank you based Souls to the Polls
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: October 27, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »

Sunday early voting is the best thing

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #769 on: October 27, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »

That is until the Republicans in the General Assembly abolish it next year. Sad  Although, there might be a chance for its survival given how well it's gone down - of course, for some Republicans that's the biggest cause to ax it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #770 on: October 27, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »

Getting closer to election night has me looking through classic local news coverage from the past.  Here are two goldies:

WBS-TV's coverage of the 1992 vote - including an extremely early call for Clinton, prolific discussion on the lottery referendum, and the heated Fowler/Coverdale senate result which was initially projected to be won by Fowler outright.

Also, there's WSB's coverage from the 1980 election - which includes Carter's concession speech, and the erroneous projection that Herman Talmadge had been convincingly reelected over Mack Mattingly, only to loose by a small margin later on in the night.

I hope you guys enjoy! Cheesy
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #771 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »

Getting closer to election night has me looking through classic local news coverage from the past.  Here are two goldies:

WBS-TV's coverage of the 1992 vote - including an extremely early call for Clinton, prolific discussion on the lottery referendum, and the heated Fowler/Coverdale senate result which was initially projected to be won by Fowler outright.

Also, there's WSB's coverage from the 1980 election - which includes Carter's concession speech, and the erroneous projection that Herman Talmadge had been convincingly reelected over Mack Mattingly, only to loose by a small margin later on in the night.

Is it bad that I was more excited to see what Monica Kaufman's hair was going to look like?

For those outside of Georgia who have never heard of her- she is an INSTITUTION!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #772 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »

Here's the margin shifts between last week's SUSA poll and the new one. One of these things is not like the others...

Governor: no change
Senate: Perdue + 5
Lt. Governor: Cagle + 3
Sec. of State: Kemp + 2
Attorney General: Hecht + 2
Superintendent: Woods + 3

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #773 on: October 28, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »

Here's the margin shifts between last week's SUSA poll and the new one. One of these things is not like the others...

Governor: no change
Senate: Perdue + 5
Lt. Governor: Cagle + 3
Sec. of State: Kemp + 2
Attorney General: Hecht + 2
Superintendent: Woods + 3

That swing makes no sense at all, especially for Superintendent.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #774 on: October 28, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »

Getting closer to election night has me looking through classic local news coverage from the past.  Here are two goldies:

Best part ever
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies