Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:53:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 320640 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 30, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »

So screw looking at 2010 (the Democratic electorate has changed so much since then that I think using "competitive primary" equivalents here is worthless). Here's the comparison between 2014-2018:

Code:
Black-18	      338865	60.15%
White-18      167611 29.75%
Non-BW-18 16124 2.86%
Unknown-18 40704 7.24%
Total-18      563304

Black-14     231568 65.58%
White-14     102890 29.13%
Non-BW-14 2821 0.80%
Unknown-14     15824 4.49%
Total-14     353103

Black-18 146% of 2014
White-18 163% of 2014
Non-BW-18        572% of 2014
Unknown-18 257% of 2014
Total-18        160% of 2014

Note: the "other/unknown" categories are expanding rapidly and have basically become a catch-all, and in many cases are locally representative of the electorates and/or new registrations as a whole. With all the new ways in which voter registrations are processed, race-related information often gets missed or omitted; still, it's best not to make tons of assumptions about these voters unless you're analyzing the data at a granular level. Nevertheless, I'm sure the bulk of them are either white or black.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2101 on: June 30, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »

‘Forever Boycotting’ lmao

Also lol at Deal throwing Cagle a bone by attacking the Cinema industry
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2102 on: June 30, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »

Why?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2103 on: June 30, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »

Hollywood South has been a huge economic boon for GA hasn’t it? Between this and Delta cultural conservatism is proving itself quite insistent on nose and face spiting
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2104 on: June 30, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »

Hollywood South has been a huge economic boon for GA hasn’t it? Between this and Delta cultural conservatism is proving itself quite insistent on nose and face spiting

Yes, it's a very big business here.  Atlanta ranks 10th among cities worldwide, and Georgia 7th among U.S. states, in the number of TV shows and films produced.  Source
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2105 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »

And this stuff is not going to get people out to the polls. While they are talking about the "Hollywood elite" and Sanctuary Cities (of which there are none in the state of Georgia), the other side will be galvanizing on education, healthcare, economic equity, and investment in rural Georgia. I really believe in my heart Abrams is going to pull this off, she's so methodical and intentional about her path to victory. Cagle and Kemp are off pandering and acting like idiots.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2106 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44:46 PM »

Yes, it's a very big business here.  Atlanta ranks 10th among cities worldwide, and Georgia 7th among U.S. states, in the number of TV shows and films produced.  Source

I notice a lot of movies now I’ll be all like “hey that’s Atlanta.” And I’ve never been to Atlanta so that’s how you know they film a lot of stuff there haha
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #2107 on: July 01, 2018, 12:52:37 AM »

I notice a lot of movies now I’ll be all like “hey that’s Atlanta.” And I’ve never been to Atlanta so that’s how you know they film a lot of stuff there haha

They film pretty much all the Marvel movies here now and have for several years. The OG Ant Man was the first and that came out in 2015. The only two they haven’t done here are the last  Thor (bc it was part of Cate Blanchett’s deal to do it) and Captain Marvel that comes out in March (they won a lottery to get a tax credit for California). They’re filming Spider-man right now.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2108 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »

They film pretty much all the Marvel movies here now and have for several years. The OG Ant Man was the first and that came out in 2015. The only two they haven’t done here are the last  Thor (bc it was part of Cate Blanchett’s deal to do it) and Captain Marvel that comes out in March (they won a lottery to get a tax credit for California). They’re filming Spider-man right now.

TIL Cate Blanchett hates Atlanta
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #2109 on: July 01, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »

She and her husband adopted a baby not too long ago and that was her first movie after taking maternity leave so she wanted it to be filmed in Australia.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2110 on: July 01, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »

She and her husband adopted a baby not too long ago and that was her first movie after taking maternity leave so she wanted it to be filmed in Australia.

My comment was tongue in cheek Wink but that’s a really good reason to keep filming close to home. She was awesome in Thor: Ragnarok
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #2111 on: July 01, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »

Kemp internal showing them tied at 45%

https://madmimi.com/p/ed567c
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2112 on: July 02, 2018, 08:20:01 AM »

The HD-28 Republican primary (decided by 67 votes) may need to be redone after the discovery that some voters were given ballots for the wrong district:

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-election-might-voided-after-voters-were-given-wrong-ballots/frxrsJc6KD31Ji1cVlfFxL/
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2113 on: July 02, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »

The HD-28 Republican primary (decided by 67 votes) may need to be redone after the discovery that some voters were given ballots for the wrong district:

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-election-might-voided-after-voters-were-given-wrong-ballots/frxrsJc6KD31Ji1cVlfFxL/

Like that snafu in VA
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #2114 on: July 02, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »

Kemp is going to win at this rate. Recent polling is showing a tight race, even a statistical tie. Kemp has the momentum and has been doing better every poll. Higher propensity voters are leaning Kemp, which should already be enough to tilt the race in his favor. Even better for Kemp, Cagle's scandals keep growing and still aren't fully out yet, and Kemp is doing great among voters that have caught wind of Cagle's incompetence and corruption. To top it all off, Kemp is probably the better campaigner, throwing out pure red meat to the conservative base. Mark my words: Kemp is going to win the runoff and lose to Abrams.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2115 on: July 02, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »

Kemp is going to win at this rate. Recent polling is showing a tight race, even a statistical tie. Kemp has the momentum and has been doing better every poll. Higher propensity voters are leaning Kemp, which should already be enough to tilt the race in his favor. Even better for Kemp, Cagle's scandals keep growing and still aren't fully out yet, and Kemp is doing great among voters that have caught wind of Cagle's incompetence and corruption. To top it all off, Kemp is probably the better campaigner, throwing out pure red meat to the conservative base. Mark my words: Kemp is going to win the runoff and lose to Abrams.
I’m biased but yeah this is shaping up to be an Abrams upset. Georgia was only one point to the right of NC with absolutely no investment from the Hillary Clinton campaign and Georgia is where Trump has his lowest approval ratings in the Deep South. Not to mention Georgia has a black voter bloc that just needs the right message and messenger to activate its robust power, and I believe Abrams is that candidate.

Brian Kemp also has a past with targeting groups who advocate for non-white voting. He launched a 2010 investigation into organizers in Brooks County after African-Americans swept local offices, launched an investigation in 2012 against an Asian American organization who had inquired about naturalized citizens being left off of voter rolls after they registered, and most notably going after Abrams’ New Georgia Project accusing her of voter registration fraud. All of them were cleared of any wrong-doing.

He’s also on tape saying this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://thinkprogress.org/georgia-secretary-of-state-laments-that-democrats-are-registering-minority-voters-8b9d677c6b32/

So the national PACS backing Abrams will have that on television after Labor Day.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #2116 on: July 02, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2018, 12:39:12 PM by dotard »

I’m biased but yeah this is shaping up to be an Abrams upset. Georgia was only one point to the right of NC with absolutely no investment from the Hillary Clinton campaign and Georgia is where Trump has his lowest approval ratings in the Deep South. Not to mention Georgia has a black voter bloc that just needs the right message and messenger to activate its robust power, and I believe Abrams is that candidate.

Brian Kemp also has a past with targeting groups who advocate for non-white voting. He launched a 2010 investigation into organizers in Brooks County after African-Americans swept local offices, launched an investigation in 2012 against an Asian American organization who had inquired about naturalized citizens being left off of voter rolls after they registered, and most notably going after Abrams’ New Georgia Project accusing her of voter registration fraud. All of them were cleared of any wrong-doing.

He’s also on tape saying this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://thinkprogress.org/georgia-secretary-of-state-laments-that-democrats-are-registering-minority-voters-8b9d677c6b32/

So the national PACS backing Abrams will have that on television after Labor Day.

I’m also starting to think this could very well be an Abrams upset. While Cagle and Kemp waste time and money attacking each other, she’s out there hustling and doing her thing while keeping her head down. There’s still four months left but at this point she has caught every break and has made no major mistakes. Only issue I could see for her is not being able to get to 50 % + 1
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2117 on: July 02, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

Also now that I think about it, if a runoff were to take place, whos to say it would benefit the R this time. It has in the past, but the D base has been shown to come out in low turnout elections, and its possible Abrams would win even in a scenario such as this.

We actually saw in a few GA special elections over the past two years that this quite brutally still holds true, even Ossoff was kinda affected by it.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2118 on: July 02, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »

Hopefully 25% of whites, 75% of non-black POC, and either 95% of black voters (as 30% of the electorate) or 90% of them (as 33-34% of the electorate) can get her to 50%.

Even if it does go to a run off, it will be nationalized due to Stacey Abrams's profile and unlike GA-06 it won't be confined to a district with an built-in Republican lean. And unlike in the past, hard Ds will have a candidate that is actually distinguishable from the Republican and they will be motivated to come out.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2119 on: July 02, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

Hopefully 25% of whites, 75% of non-black POC, and either 95% of black voters (as 30% of the electorate) or 90% of them (as 33-34% of the electorate) can get her to 50%.

Even if it does go to a run off, it will be nationalized due to Stacey Abrams's profile and unlike GA-06 it won't be confined to a district with an built-in Republican lean. And unlike in the past, hard Ds will have a candidate that is actually distinguishable from the Republican and they will be motivated to come out.

You're right. Instead it will be confined to a state with a Republican lean.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2120 on: July 02, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »

Not the same at all. The 6th district went from Price +30 to Handel +4. Georgia was only Trump +5 in 2016....
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #2121 on: July 02, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2018, 01:44:30 PM by westroopnerd »

I do agree that a runoff will be an uphill battle, but GA-06 does lean less more Republican than GA as a whole. Not to mention I don't really think it's debatable that Abrams is a better candidate than Ossoff.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2122 on: July 02, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »

Not the same at all. The 6th district went from Price +30 to Handel +4. Georgia was only Trump +5 in 2016....

Not really a fair comparison; Price's last election was against a nobody who ran a nonexistent campaign.  But if we go by Cook PVI, the 6th has a bigger Republican lean than does the entire state.  Cook has GA-06 at R+8, and averaging the result for all 14 districts yields a statewide lean of R+5.3.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2123 on: July 02, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

I do agree that a runoff will be an uphill battle, but GA-06 does lean less Republican than GA as a whole. Not to mention I don't really think it's debatable that Abrams is a better candidate than Ossoff.

Nope.  Averaging the Cook PVI's for the state (source), the statewide lean is R+5.3, while GA-06 is R+8.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #2124 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »

I do agree that a runoff will be an uphill battle, but GA-06 does lean less Republican than GA as a whole. Not to mention I don't really think it's debatable that Abrams is a better candidate than Ossoff.

Was listening to political rewind on my way home from class (Georgia NPR show) and they were specifically talking about how the 8% jump in D voting could probably get someone over the hump statewide but it probably won’t show itself in the Congressional races just bc there’s not a district that’s less than 8 because of the way they’re drawn
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies