Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:04:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 313925 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »

After the SD-6 result putting two Democrats in the runoff, Republicans want to do away with the jungle primary in special elections: http://politics.blog.myajc.com/2017/11/10/republican-loss-of-senate-seat-sparks-proposal-to-change-voting-process/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »

Not a state election, but interesting: the race for a City Council seat in Cumming originally appeared to have a margin of 3 votes, but after a recount it was an exact tie, 441-441.  A runoff is scheduled for Dec. 5.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/cumming-council-runoff-election-set/sX0HXPOxN6OJLL2ndby1KN/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

Atlanta mayoral candidate Mary Norwood accuses current Mayor Kasim Reed of voter fraud in her 2009 loss to him:

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/ajc-exclusive-norwood-accuses-reed-widespread-voter-fraud-2009-contest/ni18X40T8cT6XSEI0KUQGO/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »

Just saw a TV ad for the Atlanta mayor race tying Norwood to Trump, among other attacks on her.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »

The AJC results page currently shows the Mayor's race tied...

...one vote each.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »

Might as well just check back in tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll be at 5% precincts reported then.

Well yeah, it's Georgia.

And Fulton is probably the slowest reporting county in Georgia.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »

What are your thoughts on tonight, GeorgiaModerate?

I think it will be really close, but if forced to choose I'll predict Bottoms.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:21 PM »

Norwood is not going quietly:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She tweeted this:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »

She is an insufferable loser. She was present at the recount this morning and left in a frenzy because they were not counting them to her satisfaction.

Now her lawyer is alleging that several Bottoms-friendly precincts in SW Atlanta should be thrown out because they were recently annexed into the city and there is still debate in the GA Supreme Court on the legitimacy of the annexations.

AJC story about Norwood's possible challenge: http://www.ajc.com/news/local/mary-norwood-may-challenge-votes-following-atlanta-mayoral-recount/KiRGrHvU1Wg5idXaQVj70J/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »

Does Barrow have a good chance at taking the Secretary of State's office?

I think he has a reasonable shot in what's shaping up to be a D-friendly year.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

I think we should be able to peel off at least SoS and AG. Hopefully more but we’ll just have to see how the environment is in November. It’s shaping up to be a blue year but the question is if the GB margin grows and by how much.

Who do we have running for AG?  Any chance we pickup Insurance Commissioner and/or State School Superintendent?  On paper it looks like we have credible candidates in those races, at least from an out-of-state perspective.

No one of either party has announced for AG just yet as far as I can tell.

EDIT: You can’t file to run for AG until June

Why?

I think this is incorrect.  Candidates would need to file in order to be eligible for the R or D primary, which is in May.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »

I think we should be able to peel off at least SoS and AG. Hopefully more but we’ll just have to see how the environment is in November. It’s shaping up to be a blue year but the question is if the GB margin grows and by how much.

Who do we have running for AG?  Any chance we pickup Insurance Commissioner and/or State School Superintendent?  On paper it looks like we have credible candidates in those races, at least from an out-of-state perspective.

No one of either party has announced for AG just yet as far as I can tell.

EDIT: You can’t file to run for AG until June

Why?

Have no idea but runforsomething.org says that the filing date is June 25-28 and it’s not on the SoS’s website yet

It's here:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »

State Rep. Rich Gorlick (R) of HD-40 is retiring at the end of this term.  This should be an excellent pickup opportunity for the Democrats.  Clinton got 54% in 2016. 
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:25 AM »

Fulton County, which is notoriously slow to report results, is asking the state for permission to start counting early votes before the polls close in future elections: http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/fulton-county-ask-state-count-early-votes-before-polls-close/ZkZJ2qvKfESophty4FpVmL/.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »

After a lot of thinking and despite my previous criticisms, I have decided to rescind my support of Stacey Evans, and am now backing Stacey Abrams to become the Democratic nominee for Governor. Not that my endorsement will make or break either candidate just wanted to give some warning before you start seeing pro-Abrams posts from me. Tongue

What prompted your change of heart?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »

Outside of the Perimeter and Inside of the Perimeter - probably the biggest cultural and political division in the state of Georgia.

The Perimeter referring to Interstate 485 - the circumferential highway around Atlanta

[/quote]

The Perimeter is I-285.  There was a proposal for a 485 inside Atlanta back in the 1970s, but it never got off the ground.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »

Buried in the middle of https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/the-jolt-some-worry-that-low-bridge-would-discourage-tall-ships/BunZZ1CKhrKc50oszjjDdJ/:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »

Lawsuit filed challenging the 2015 redraw of metro ATL state House districts as a racial gerrymander: https://lawyerscommittee.org/press-release/lawyers-committee-civil-rights-law-files-motion-seeking-relief-2018-midterm-election-cycle-georgia-voters-impacted-unlawful-gerrymandering/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »

Cagle weighs in on Delta ending its NRA discount:

My take: helps him in the primary, hurts him in the general election.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

LOL Cagle. By all means, please push the Delta-employed white folks in Cobb, Forsyth, and Gwinnett out of your camp.  Tongue

What is the distribution of delta employees in Georgia actually? Is there a map anywhere of it?

I don't know about a distribution of their locations within the state.  A Delta news release from Oct. 2015 says that it was Georgia's largest employer with 33,000 in the state.  I would expect most of them to be either at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport or at Delta HQ, which is near the airport.  This is on the south side of the metro area, so Cobb, Gwinnett, and especially Forsyth seem less likely than Fulton and the south suburban counties.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 08:39:48 AM »

Not a Georgia resident, but what is the chance Stacey Abrahams wins this state?

Abrams, not Abrahams.  My feeling is that she has a decent chance in the Democratic primary, but would face an uphill battle in the general election.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »

Senate passed the bill taking away Delta’s tax credit. No way Deal signs it. Say what you want about him but he’s never moved an inch when it comes to this stuff. Saw on Greg Bluestein’s twitter that Evans officially filed a complaint with the AG about Cagle. Wonder if anyone else on either side chimes in about it
With Amazon considering planting their second flag in Atlanta, there's no way he signs this or the gay adoption bill either.

Deal already said he'll sign the tax bill: https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/deal-will-sign-tax-bill-without-delta-break-after-nra-flap/aHmjSQvCcRH1c6fdGfvmVN/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

Gun control activist Lucy McBath, who was originally going to challenge state Rep. Sam Teasley (HD-37), will now run for the GA-06 Congressional seat: https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/high-profile-gun-control-advocate-enters-georgia-6th-district-race/yR5JoktI4q7Enh41Lpk2ZL/
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »

Gun control activist Lucy McBath, who was originally going to challenge state Rep. Sam Teasley (HD-37), will now run for the GA-06 Congressional seat: https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/high-profile-gun-control-advocate-enters-georgia-6th-district-race/yR5JoktI4q7Enh41Lpk2ZL/
If she wins the primary, the Dems deserve to lose this race.

I'll be shocked if she wins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies