Is this fair?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:51:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this fair?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this fair?  (Read 1346 times)
qwerty
maineman5
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2005, 09:17:49 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2011, 02:03:42 AM by qwerty »

qwertty
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 09:19:23 PM »

If your dad has been paying taxes for 10 years; they pay you back monthly till you turn 18.

Thats what happened to me when my dad passed away.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:23:43 PM »

If your dad has been paying taxes for 10 years; they pay you back monthly till you turn 18.

Thats what happened to me when my dad passed away.

Same with me, but I don't think that applies to aunts and uncles, unless they are legal gaurdians.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 09:28:03 PM »

One of many problems with Social Security. It's time for reform.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »

No, their estate/children should get a monthly stipend, if they don't already.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 09:40:12 PM »

This is one of the few right wing talking points I believe actually has some merit to it, and why I'm not particularly bothered by social security reform. I just don't trust Bush to do ANYTHING. If Kerry proposed privatizing it, I might support his plan.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »

This is one of the few right wing talking points I believe actually has some merit to it, and why I'm not particularly bothered by social security reform. I just don't trust Bush to do ANYTHING. If Kerry proposed privatizing it, I might support his plan.

Yes, because the evil Bush is out to kill us all.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:49:31 AM »

But of course Kerry proposed to do nothing, so there would be no Kerry plan, unless he violated his campaign promises.  Kerry couldn't afford to rile up the parasitic constituencies that make up the Democratic base.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 10:12:39 AM »

Yes, this is fair.  Social Security is a form of insurance.  It covers some of your expenses when you're old - your aunt and uncle were never old, so they never got it.  Its like having health insurance and never getting sick.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »

Yes, this is fair.  Social Security is a form of insurance.  It covers some of your expenses when you're old - your aunt and uncle were never old, so they never got it.  Its like having health insurance and never getting sick.

Except for the fact that you are forced to pay into it. From what I know insurance is something you pay into of your own free will.
Trilobyte

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 10:33:43 AM »

Except for the fact that you are forced to pay into it. From what I know insurance is something you pay into of your own free will.

If you're not forced to save your money, you become a burden to society when you retire with no savings. It's same with mandatory insurance for drivers.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »

Well, generally.. though some states require insurance for driving.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 10:39:17 AM »

Well, generally.. though some states require insurance for driving.

True. Mine does. Though at least you have a choice in what car insurance you buy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 10:43:23 AM »

I don't want their money, I don't think I implied that in the post either.
Actually, in a sense you did. If you were their closest surviving relative, that is.
But that's not the point.
The point is...this insurance idea became a very stupid idea the minute getting old became the rule rather than the exception.
Pensions should be payed out of taxes, the same amount to everybody. If any one has more money than he can pish away, he can put it into an investment fund. He can call that a retirement fund if he feels like it. But he shouldn't expect any government tax breaks or guarantees for that.
NHPolitico

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 12:18:19 PM »

If you ask me, there is something terribly wrong about that. Someone can pay so much into this system and not benefit from it.

Of course it's wrong. SS shouldn't be the pyramid scheme it is. It should be at least 50% yours to do with as you please. Blacks really get hurt by SS and they don't even realize it-- like they do with liberals opposing school choice and vouchers.  They live shorter lives and end up like your aunt and uncle.   Give people ownership, you give them hope. Give them hope and they can do some amazing things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies