SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Internal Affairs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:12:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Internal Affairs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Internal Affairs  (Read 1505 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2012, 04:22:27 PM by Simfan34 »

Members:
Simfan34 - Committee Chair
Snowtalker
Averroës Nix

Current Order of Business:
Right to random events

Topic/Hearing Queue:
General funding for the DoIA
Rights and responsibilities of the SoIA
Next round of infrastructure investment

Completed Business:
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »

So, lads, what shall we do?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »

You might want a place for completed business, as well.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »

Popping in, gentlemen: firstly to wish you all the best of luck and to hope for co-operation towards all sorts of progress; more importantly to ask that we use this committee first to help me establish what the limits, rights, responsibilities, etc. are charged to my office. The bill creating my office is extremely vague, and the office is given a few responsibilities in a few random bills according to the wiki's statute archive, but otherwise I'm just kind of winging it right now and seeing what I can get away with. Tongue The things that I would like to ensure for my office are:

1.    The right to "announce" random events ala GM specifically for certain regions. This seems to have support amongst executives, but it may take more discussion. I'll be honest, I'm going to probably do it unless and until someone tells me it's a bad idea (I'm first going to ask shua, of course, with you guys next on that list). Furthermore, being able to generate such events lets me give you people something to do, too, y'know. Tongue

2.    Some general funding which my office is able to use in case of emergencies, such as during a storm crisis or other kinds of health crisis.

3.    More regular understanding of my responsibilities. Giving at some point an annual address to the Senate seems to be the only responsibility clearly outlined in the creation of my office. Other places I am to regulate safe clamming, to appropriate the rail funding, which I am currently doing, and place the regional uni's, which I am doing. More and clearer responsibilities would make this a less daunting task; I'm not terribly surprised few have succeeded in this job....there isn't much to go on.

Just jumping off points, gentlemen, and I'm not married to all of them. I just would like to get opinions on them as they are priority to me at this point. I'll be checking in very very often, so don't feel reluctant to call me on in (or ignore me completely).

Ciaociao for now!

Speedy
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »

All in due course, Senator.

SoIA, I am right now willing to sign off on your rights, but I will withhold final assessment until the committee has conferred and made its views clear.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

All in due course, Senator.

SoIA, I am right now willing to sign off on your rights, but I will withhold final assessment until the committee has conferred and made its views clear.
Oh absolutely. Indeed, it is this very conversation that I am looking to incite, rather than a quick and simple certification of this or that. I want these things to be discussed at length by the great members of this committee, and to only then make decisions upon them.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 04:23:50 PM by Simfan34 »

Let's get back to business after the holiday.

On your first point, I must admit while I am inclined to see random events occur in Atlasia that do not happen in the United States, I think I'd like to see the kind of scope as to what you refer. Yes, things can and should get more exciting, but I'm not sure forcing the hands of regional governments via events to which they must react is really within your right as the SoIA; that is to say, I think it may allow you to exert undue influence in the goings on in the regions. I don't mean to say you have bad intentions, or even want to push things one way or another, but I think that broadening the SoIA's right to fictionalise events opens that door, and I want to make sure that... "that the baby fence is strong enough," so to speak.

But I, again, am open to seeing you have that right, and I look forwards to you addressing my concerns and helping me have you gain that right.

Also, gentlemen, I have decided to put the topic of infrastructure investment on the queue, I hope no one minds if we discuss that. All are welcome to put topics for discussion, as I would like to remind you; but I am sure you already know.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »

Excuse me for derailing for just a second for some clarification, but your opposition to such powers for the SoIA is something I have not heard much of since I entered office (not that the opposing view has any co-ordinated effort); what is the opinion of the rest of the committee? It is true that such powers are not clearly defined at all in the bill which establishes this office, but the regional executives and some senators at least seemed to believe it was part of a well-executed term. What do you all think?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

I agree, I'm just mildly concerned about abuse.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »

Its been two days now, is further response from the SoIA desired by the chairman or is he satisifed with the SoIA's remarks on the matter.

Also, where is Snowstalker and why hasn't he contibuted at all to the discussions since the committee started on the 19th?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »

I would support Senator Nix's proposal.

LiberalPA, you've done a good job so far. Keep it up and don't suddenly disappear. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

I would support Senator Nix's proposal.

LiberalPA, you've done a good job so far. Keep it up and don't suddenly disappear. Tongue
Woah, what a blast from the past. I haven't been called that in years. Also, thanks! Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »

Who would call you that when Speed and SOS are far more tantalizing choices. Tongue

Now please proceed with business of the committee.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »

Will the SoIA please tell the honourable members of the committee how he intends to prevent abuse of office?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

I certainly can make some suggestions, but frankly, I think that it would require a law to do so in future cases. Never know who will be SoIA next. I will address this committee on this subject later in the evening, as I am just heading out the door. In the meantime, I was questioned on my office in general in the GOR committee just earlier today, which may be of interest to the members of this committee as well. I will be back in just a few hours to talk on this, as it is in fact the part of this whole discussion where I have the most intriguing but difficult ideas to throw around so that we may be able to, in fact, solve the problems of activity as well as fairness. See you all soon and I apologize for the delay!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »

Mr. Chairman, has all the needed testimonials been recieved and if so, when can your committee proceed to possibly crafting recommendations that can (should) be turned into legislation?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »

Of course, I think SoIA SoS's input would be appreciated here, but otherwise I do like what I'm reading. Point of clarification- in part two, is that one event per region or merely one event?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

I would support this amendment.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

Members of the committee will now vote for recommending Sen. Nix's amendment. Voting will last 24 hours or until all have voted.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »

Aye
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »

Aye.

The resolution passes, the committee shall officially recommend the proposed amendment.

I move to adjourn the committee sine die.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies