Sean Hannity now supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:47:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sean Hannity now supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sean Hannity now supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants  (Read 2923 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/11/hannity-ive-evolved-on-immigration-and-support-a-pathway-149078.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

Good for him.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Yeah, they're all preaching this on Fox News now.

Honestly it won't help them, but we should keep letting them believe it will. Down the rabbit hole...
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »

Sean Hannity is now a communist RINO!!!!!!

*Garble* *Garble* *Garble*
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »

The nature of the GOP/conservative base is that it's very top-down, so if Sean Hannity is approving immigration reform, then it might actually pass this year.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

Well, next year. Maybe. And there will be a lot of kicking and screaming, no matter what plan is proposed or chosen. There will always be a very vocal minority on this issue, no matter how much consensus there is. But it seems like it will get done.
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »

It won't get done, because Obama (and the Democrats) will get all the credit for it, even if the House goes along with it and compromises.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »

The Question has always been... To what extent do the leaders of the conservative movement actually control their followers, if at all? What exactly is the power structure of the beast they have created? Does it have any? And if it doesn't, what does that mean for "movement conservatism"? This is easily the most interesting question which will be answered over the next four years....
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »

This is good news.  Hannity is a puppet of the establishment.   He has no real beliefs.  Him saying this means the memo being circulated behind the scenes is "DUMP THE TEA."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »

In related news, Sir Doctor Reverend General Herman Cain has encouraged his followers to look into their hearts and drop the abortion litmus for candidates:

Is our long national nightmare with wedge issue conservatism finally over?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

I've said it once and I'll say it again:

The Republican Party is hemorrhaging right now and has gone into full-blown damage control mode as a result. They will shift to the center on social issues and will probably shift a little more to the center on economic issues. They (we?) cannot afford to lose in 2016.

It doesn't surprise me that this is happening now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »

Sean Hannity is absolutely correct.

...That left a bad taste in my mouth.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »

Excellent news! R+1!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »

Sean Hannity is absolutely correct.

...That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Why? Did you type it with your mouth?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

Maybe, but I think we've gotten to the point where abortion is more of a Democrat-helping wedge issue than a Republican one. The people that vote for Republicans because outlawing abortion is their number one issue would be voting for Republicans anyway. But there's a huge segment of moderate, middle-class, educated women that should be winnable swing voters for Republicans that are completely turned off by the anti-abortion rhetoric.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »

That is pretty much my opinion on the US immigration issue. Glad to see the Republicans seem to be moving in that direction also. It was one of the few areas (along with gun laws) where I don't line up as a typical Republican. Actually, I'm fine with public health care, too, so I guess I'm out of step on that issue as well... there may be other issues, too, I'm not going to waste my time thinking about it, but this was certainly one of them.

Need to do a few extra things on general immigration reform, too, like better inroads into teaching English and the expanded provision of government services to the Hispanic community that is already living there, but who currently won't go near government services for fear of being deported.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »

Millions more Latino voters? Sounds good to this Democrat.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »

And the soul-searching begins in earnest on the Mountain (formerly?) known as Bullsh**t.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »

What Hannity is saying now is fairly similar to what Perry and Gingrich were saying in the primaries.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »

This entirely rests upon the assumption that supporting amnesty would win Republicans support among Latinos, which simply isn't the case. All the polling of Latinos shows the primary reason for their inclination towards the Democrats is economics/welfare.

But I'm not sure it's just a matter of poverty. After all Asians and Jews are both wealthier then the average white and their isn't a large body of illegal immigrants that they identify with, yet they're also overwhelming tilted to the Democrats. I think it's fundamentally a cultural thing.

Their is no scenario in which Republicans will get much headway among Latinos. They clearly won't be moved by religious conservatism, they remained Democratic inclined even after Reagan implemented amnesty, and movement to the economic left by Republicans will simply result in a parallel shift leftwards by the Democrats. Amnesty would be political suicide.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2012, 08:52:09 AM by Sbane »

This entirely rests upon the assumption that supporting amnesty would win Republicans support among Latinos, which simply isn't the case. All the polling of Latinos shows the primary reason for their inclination towards the Democrats is economics/welfare.

But I'm not sure it's just a matter of poverty. After all Asians and Jews are both wealthier then the average white and their isn't a large body of illegal immigrants that they identify with, yet they're also overwhelming tilted to the Democrats. I think it's fundamentally a cultural thing.

Their is no scenario in which Republicans will get much headway among Latinos. They clearly won't be moved by religious conservatism, they remained Democratic inclined even after Reagan implemented amnesty, and movement to the economic left by Republicans will simply result in a parallel shift leftwards by the Democrats. Amnesty would be political suicide.

I think you might be a troll, but I will respond anyways since you made a couple of good points.

First of all you are correct that a lot of Hispanics who vote Democrat do so due to economic reasons, but do 71% of them vote Democrat due to economic reasons? What the GOP needs to do to win is get that margin down to 60% Democrat. They won't win the Hispanic vote and they shouldn't need to.

This brings me to an even more important point. The Republicans need to win the Asian vote, especially the Christian Asian vote, by double digits. They really need to do that. That will immediately make them more competitive in states like Virginia and Colorado while earning them a few congressional seats in California. Jews and Hindu/Muslim South Asians are probably gone to Democrats though, including the funding source.....but the Republicans can't do anything about that. I think the Republicans will try to transition to a christian identity party as opposed to a white identity party so these people will still be left behind. That way they can still try and keep their white working class base. Of course I am not sure how good that strategy will be in the long term as younger whites are much less religious. At least that could be a good medium term strategy.

Amnesty with immediate right to vote should never be endorsed by the Republicans. They need to be smart and give them some special immigration status which makes them residents, but doesn't allow them a chance at naturalization for 10 years. But it's not just the need for amnesty that influences the Hispanic vote, it's also the racist laws like the one passed in Arizona. The Republicans really cannot do that!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

As we know, Bush got 45 percent of Hispanics because of his support of welfare queens.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

RINO.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

King made a good point about Bush's success among Latinos: it wasn't because he was some kind of economic leftist.

Republicans simply need to be at ease with the influx and increase of Latinos in this country, put forth Latino candidates, and chill some of their class rhetoric. This involves clamping down on the more unsavory elements in the GOP whose immigration stances are a thin veil for their racism. Bush did well with Latinos because he was from Texas, had Hispanic family ties, and seemed incredibly comfortable around them. His Spanish wasn't great, but at least he cared enough to try and didn't seem like a phony when he did it. Immigrants and their children are naturally drawn to an entrepreneurial message, which is something the GOP can tap into.

This isn't like the black vote, as much as Democrats are hoping it is. Republicans can certainly get 40% of the Hispanic vote if they put forth the effort and stop appealing to the worst elements in the party.
rob in cal
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

Another question that isn't even discussed so far, is the overall direction of legal immigration, unrelated to the issues of amnesty, DREAM act etc.  Right now, year after year, about 1 million future Democratic leaning voters come to the US legally, rain or shine, bad economy or good economy, year after year. Amnesty issues is just a side issue to this overall issue of massive, unending legal immigration. 
    On this issue the Democratic Party is winning, and it is winning so substantially that even Romney, who was allegedly so far to the right on the issue, didn't have a problem with this amount of massive immigration.  The GOP has got to realize that importing huge amounts of Democratic leaning future voters isn't helpful to them.  The typical immigrant to the US just quite simply isn't a future Republican.  There's a reason the political left is so in favor of mass immigration, something along the lines of "if we don't like the results the electorate is giving us, lets vote for a new electorate", a sort of gerrymandering on an international scale.
    I'd be intrested in seeing an immigration grand bargain, with amnesty coupled with instituting the proposals of the Barbara Jordan commission from the 90's (appointed by Clinton) which called for less legal immigration, and also a modernization of the birthright citizenship idea to bring it more in line with how many other modernized Western Democracies handle it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies