Campbell County KY really does need to split in two!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:06:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Campbell County KY really does need to split in two!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Campbell County KY really does need to split in two!  (Read 1151 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

Check out this map of my county...

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/KY/Campbell/43127/107594/en/md.html?cid=3

Most of the people are in the blue areas, even though the red areas are larger geographically.

You can probably guess which part I'm in.

Is a polarized electorate like this sustainable without some serious redrawing of the county lines?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »

If literally most of the people were in the blue areas, the overall results would look different. Obviously they have the higher population density.

But yeah, that's the way that county is. The northern end is urban Cincinnati stranded on the wrong side of the river. The rest is Cincy exurbs.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

I think there's a law that all counties in Kentucky have to be a minimum of 400 square miles (those created prior to 1891 are grandfathered in), which would make the split you proposed impossible, especially as Campbell County is only 152 square miles itself. (again, Campbell, like every other existing county in the state aside from McCreary County, is exempt as it was created prior to 1891)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »

I think there's a law that all counties in Kentucky have to be a minimum of 400 square miles (those created prior to 1891 are grandfathered in), which would make the split you proposed impossible, especially as Campbell County is only 152 square miles itself. (again, Campbell, like every other existing county in the state aside from McCreary County, is exempt as it was created prior to 1891)

Someone said this law doesn't apply to Campbell because it has 2 county seats. But if it does, maybe the law should be changed. Or Kentucky should have independent cities.

The blue areas are tired of paying all their taxes to be gobbled up by the red areas.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:14:52 AM »

I would imagine all states that have provisions to let people form new counties without a legislative vote have provisions to keep there from being thousands of little counties.

In South Carolina, a new county may not include any territory within five miles of an existing county courthouse and must have at least 1/124 of the population of the State.  The reason for the odd fraction is that it is a legacy of the days when each county was guaranteed at least one of the 124 Representatives.

Frankly in most places, consolidating counties rather than splitting off new ones would make the most sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies