WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:22:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays  (Read 25638 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

Count me down as member of the party of Dr. Martin Luther King, Fredrick Douglass, and Booker T. Washington, not that of Jim Crow, secession, and the South.

Obama is white you see.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »

It was about convincing Southern moderates who supported civil rights to fight against the segregationist Democrats by voting Republican.  

Southern pro-civil rights moderates who joined the GOP because of the Southern Strategy:

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:30:18 AM »

I don't think Trent Lott was a fan of segregation necessarily, despite his statements at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party (which I think were mostly taken out of context.) 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Lott

Yeah, certainly not a fan of segregation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »

I'm really tired with your crap. You won't find a single person here who'd deny civil rights origins of the GOP and the Democrat's evil past regarding this issue.

Knowing history is good, but not when you're using it as an excuse to ignore the present reality which may not be pleaseant for you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »

I'm really tired with your crap. You won't find a single person here who'd deny civil rights origins of the GOP and the Democrat's evil past regarding this issue.

Knowing history is good, but not when you're using it as an excuse to ignore the present reality which may not be pleaseant for you.
It's not a present reality.  And nobody here may deny this history, but plenty of high-profile Democrats have and they just pretend that they were the heroes of civil rights and that all the horrible things that happened to blacks throughout our history were caused by Republicans.

I'd appreciate some examples.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies