Ron Paul's Farewell Speech to Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Paul's Farewell Speech to Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ron Paul's Farewell Speech to Congress  (Read 3186 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »

Love him or hate him, he was principled. America will never again be blessed with a man as unique as Ron Paul Strom Thurmond in Congress.

I doubt you would be so kind if it were for a different ideology than yours.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »

Can I just say how irritating I find the argument, "You might disagree with him, but at least he stands by his principles. You gotta respect him for that."

I'm sorry, but if I find his principles repugnant, but I will not respect him for standing by them.

Because not being indefinitely detained is a horrible principle.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

Love him or hate him, he was principled. America will never again be blessed with a man as unique as Ron Paul Strom Thurmond in Congress.

Did you ever read my posts about George McGovern? Or Bernie Sanders? Why don't you read peoples posts for once instead of passing judgment on them as "Paultard cult freakz." I don't go off calling you a crypto fascist every chance I get, even though that is exactly what comes into my mind when I think of your “communitarianism.”
Sound + Vision
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.97

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »

Can I just say how irritating I find the argument, "You might disagree with him, but at least he stands by his principles. You gotta respect him for that."

I'm sorry, but if I find his principles repugnant, but I will not respect him for standing by them.

Because not being indefinitely detained is a horrible principle.
The fact that that isn't his only principle aside, my post was more of a reaction to those kinds of arguments in general than an attack on Congressman Paul or his supporters in particular.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »

Really? That comparison is really where you went? Wow. Just counting down until Godwin's Law comes into effect here, now.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »

Really? That comparison is really where you went? Wow. Just counting down until Godwin's Law comes into effect here, now.

My point is not to compare Paul to Thurmond, merely to note that one's principles are not inherently laudable simply because someone adheres to them.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »

My point is not to compare Paul to Thurmond, merely to note that one's principles are not inherently laudable simply because someone adheres to them.

The fact of the adherence is. It's indeed perfectly possible to admire, if only in a sickly fascinated way, the commitment that a lot of horrible people have to their horrible beliefs.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »

I respect certain politicians and political figures that i disagree with. Even though I disagree with their philosophy, I also realize that there is more to the individual than simply their policies. Moral fiber and character still mean something, at least I hope.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

real liberty is women being able to control their wombs. old white men being able to slash their entire workforce without second thought
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »

a following that is ready to make a significant splash on the national stage.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

Unless a principle is truly morally repugnant (which few principles of politicians truly are), I think it's good to respect principled people.  Even if you disagree on stuff like welfare and sociasm vs. capitalism, those things are coming down to a perspective of how you think the government should be involved in dealing with its citizens.  It's not until you get into how the government actually views its citizens (fascism, Naziism, etc.) that you cross a dangerous line.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »

Listened to it earlier today. Definitely up there as one of the greatest speeches given in Congress, at least as far as content.

Joke post.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »

Listened to it earlier today. Definitely up there as one of the greatest speeches given in Congress, at least as far as content.

Joke post.
You are one of the biggest jokes around here, you know that right Wink?
Sound + Vision
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.97

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »

Unless a principle is truly morally repugnant (which few principles of politicians truly are), I think it's good to respect principled people.  Even if you disagree on stuff like welfare and sociasm vs. capitalism, those things are coming down to a perspective of how you think the government should be involved in dealing with its citizens.  It's not until you get into how the government actually views its citizens (fascism, Naziism, etc.) that you cross a dangerous line.
I do respect politicians who don't sell out their values for campaign contributions or the like, and it is wrong to attack people simply for having different philosophical beliefs, so I guess that I was referring to the people who refuse to compromise an inch on any issue ever, even when it is clearly in the public's interest to do so.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »

Good riddance to a disgusting senile fool living in an era even he was too young to remember.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

He's almost gone. Our long national nightmare is almost over. Hopefully his son will give up his senate seat in 2016 to run for president and fail epically so we can never hear about them again.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:12 AM »

The hate on Ron Paul is vile here; indeed, I cannot even see Politico and Winfield acting the same if Romney had won the other night.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »

Not half as vile as Ron Paul's "states rights" creed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »

Not half as vile as Ron Paul's "states rights" creed.

You oppose federalism?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

SJoycle- you're forgetting the rule of the board... any one who makes comments supporting the Democratic Party gets a standing ovation from the members in front of their computer monitor...any other comment gets that person attacked as stupid, irrelevant, evil- you name it!
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »

Well, if that's the rule, I'll gladly break it.  It seems to me that Ron Paul is a very good man, and I know a lot of supporters of his that are also quite virtuous and intelligent, and I think the reasons they have for supporting Paul are often quite sound.  Issues that all of them consider of dire importance to the country and the world are very much relevant.  I don't find anyone else in the modern political spectrum to be nearly as eloquent or as principled as Ron Paul in representing the position that he does.

Personally, I find Paul to be quite unique in the sense that he says a greater combination of things that I strongly agree with and things that I strongly disagree with than anyone else I know.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »

A man of principle and there aren't many of them left in modern politics. Also a very eloquent speaker.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 05:35:08 AM »

A great man and Freedom Fighter, and one of few honest voices in Washington. He will be sorely missed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »

Sashay, away
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies