Orange County precinct map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Orange County precinct map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Orange County precinct map  (Read 8698 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/election-376033-map-test.html

Looks like Little Saigon swung pretty hard towards Obama and actually voted for him as well as voting for Prop 30. Irvine stayed with Obama but did not favor Prop 30 it doesn't look like. Looking at this result and the results from Miami, it is interesting that some of Obama's biggest swings have come from immigrant groups that previously favored the GOP.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »

I actually had to click on the thread to find out which "Orange County" it was. There are, off the top of my head, Counties named Orange in California (Anaheim), Florida (Orlando), Indiana (south-center of the state), New York (Newburgh), North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Texas (just north of Beaumont), Vermont (east-center of the state), and Virginia (north-center of the state).

The most important one, duh! Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

I actually had to click on the thread to find out which "Orange County" it was. There are, off the top of my head, Counties named Orange in California (Anaheim), Florida (Orlando), Indiana (south-center of the state), New York (Newburgh), North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Texas (just north of Beaumont), Vermont (east-center of the state), and Virginia (north-center of the state).

The most important one, duh! Tongue

I'd beg to differ. Tongue

But seriously, even living in an Orange County, I knew what the OP was referring to.

I'm not seeing swing maps--or are you all extrapolating?

I was comparing it to DRA. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the 2008 OC register precinct map.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »

Where were the biggest swings against Obama?

Looks like the wealthy southeast of the county (Laguna Niguel, San Juan Capistrano, Mission Viejo) had the biggest Romney swings, though there were some big swings around Yorba Linda, too. Generally looks like the poorer/less wealthy areas swung Obama while the rich areas swung Romney, with only a few exceptions. Actually surprisingly close to the sort of swings we thought would happen this election, even though nationally it doesn't seem that Romney overperformed in wealthy areas the way he was expected to.

I think Romney did really well in the areas where the 1%ers live - look at the big swings in New Canaan and Darien - but outside of the really really rich places there wasn't a big swing in his direction.

Especially the places that swung in 2008, as opposed to those that had a dem trend before that. Santa Clara County swung to Obama this year, and it has a median income near 90k which is the same as places like Mission Viejo and San Juan Capistrano where Romney got a big swing. The difference is that Santa Clara County has rejected Republican policies whereas a lot of the swing towards Obama in 2008 in south OC was a personal vote and a rejection of Palin. They still believe in Republican dogma about no tax increases on the rich (let's not forget that these tax increases wouldn't affect the median voter even in these wealthy areas) but it has been rejected in the Bay Area.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »

Obama most certainly won the Vietnamese vote. Democrats usually win the Vietnamese vote in San Jose (and I suspect the PacNW but I'm not certain), but usually lose it in Orange County. This time he won it in both places.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 07:39:45 PM by Sbane »

The reuters poll had Hindus at 23% Romney, so you make a very good point. Even the fact that a lot of Indians live in the Bay Area and NYC doesn't explain them voting so Democrat. I am Indian myself and even I don't know how to fully explain it. Some of the reasons could be an aversion to Bush and his policies (and perceived profiling of people who look Arab), the fact that the first exposure to American culture for many Indians is an university, as well as the fact that they are not Christian for the most part. While the Republican party will never say this is a white country (even if they may support policies in certain states that would like to implement that), they are not afraid of saying this is a Christian country. Most other Asian groups tend to be much more Christian, especially Koreans and Filipinos. Maybe if Democrats raise taxes on those making more than 100k, there could be a swing to Republicans. Maybe. At least I know my dad would.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies