Ventura in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Ventura in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ventura in 2008  (Read 4532 times)
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »

Jesse Ventura eyes White House run in 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Refreshed from a semester as a visiting professor at Harvard University, former pro wrestler and Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he's considering an independent run for the White House in 2008, although he acknowledges that being leader of the free world might be too confining for him.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2004-04-15-ventura-white-house_x.htm

How would he do? Could he possibly win?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »

Can a puma, challenge a lion, for King?

uhh-- NO.

(gong)
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »

He'd do better than any other recent third party candidate.

And I know he will win his fair share of states, and most likely tip the presidency to one of the two parties.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 12:35:47 AM »

I wouldn't vote for it as he is too socially liberal for me, but we need people like Ventura if we are ever going to break the two party duopoly that we have.

It would be funny if Ventura wins Minnesota and then neither the Dem's nor the Rep's get 270 votes.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 12:38:48 AM »

And then he wins in the House...

I would laugh my ass off.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 12:51:17 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2005, 12:53:17 AM by jfern »

Here's a race that would be interesting:

Reid vs Ventura vs Frist

That would probably get thrown to the House and Senate, unless one of the candidates had their electors switch to one of the other guys.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 02:16:09 AM »

I doubt if would do anything, except in MN.

I'll predict that the winner will win by more ten  EV.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 08:32:38 PM »

I hope he runs, I would probably vote for him.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »

I can't imagine that he would be taken seriously at all. 

If he is, it would only hurt the Dems.  Theoretically, he could take MN, something the Dems can ill afford to lose.  Additionally, his base tends to be the youngest of voters, a small voting block to be sure, but one that trends Democrat. 

If Ventura is in the race, take every state that Bush lost by 20,000 votes or less and give it to the GOP candidate.  Ventura is no Perot.  This guy hurts the Dems worse than the GOP.  That being said, I'm all in favor of Jesse running for Prez.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 11:19:34 PM »

NO NO NO! I don't know why out of staters fail to realize this. Ventura is EXTREMELY unpopular here now. Ever stop to think about why he's not governor anymore? Because he didn't run again because he knew he had no chance. He's done nothing but saddle us with a financial crisis which our current utterly worthless ing piece of human garbage governor is using to cut public services, and be a huge ass. Ventura would hardly be a factor, and would probably do worse in MN than nationwide.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 02:50:59 PM »

NO NO NO! I don't know why out of staters fail to realize this. Ventura is EXTREMELY unpopular here now. Ever stop to think about why he's not governor anymore? Because he didn't run again because he knew he had no chance. He's done nothing but saddle us with a financial crisis which our current utterly worthless g piece of human garbage governor is using to cut public services, and be a huge ass. Ventura would hardly be a factor, and would probably do worse in MN than nationwide.

Yeah, I thought that was the case.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 05:55:19 PM »

Ventura is undeniably unpopular in MN...but I'm sure he still has his partisans.  I don't think he'd win the state, but he'd do better there (I should think) than in most other places.  Although it probably wouldn't be his best state.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 08:05:08 PM »

Relax!   That's why I said theoretically he could take MN.  I don't think that he could win a single state.  However, I still contend that he hurts Dems more than  Republicans. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 11:00:06 PM »

Theoretically Peroutka could've won the election if you're looking at revery possibilities. There are many states Ventura would take before Minnesota, such as New Hampshire and Nevada.

As for Ventura's partisans here, there might be some, but I've never met any. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who doesn't consider him a complete joke and he becomes more of one every time he opens his mouth. This is probably the only thing the StarTrib and Pioneer Press can agree on. But to look at how well his political movement is going, while his party did fairly well in the last gubernatorial race (and very likely cost the Democrat the election), they did pitiful last election. Usually they could crack 5% if they ran a candidate, that hardly happened anywhere if at all. Plus they have only one more statewide office holder, a State Senator who almost certainly will run as a Democrat next election. And they've been distancing themselves from Ventura quite a bit. Ventura's party is almost dead, the man is a joke, and he is of no relevance in this state anymore.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 11:26:58 PM »

Bayh vs Guilianni(I can't spell it) vs Ventura vs Moore (or some other religious conservative that thought the Republicans picked someone too liberal) and a liberal Green (who think Bayh is too conservative) would be a fun election!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 10:13:57 AM »

Bayh vs Guilianni(I can't spell it) vs Ventura vs Moore (or some other religious conservative that thought the Republicans picked someone too liberal) and a liberal Green (who think Bayh is too conservative) would be a fun election!

I've been predicting something similar but have also included a Libertarian and had the Dem's going with Hillary.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 03:14:43 PM »

Anyone ever read Garrison Keillor's sendup of Ventura?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 03:33:18 PM »

Ventura has about as much chance of winning a single EV as almost any other third party candidate, i.e. very little.  He's unpopular in MN for being a total failure, as he's only known outside MN for being an ex-pro-wrestler who managed to win as an independent.  I'm no expert on this, but weren't his policies generally stupid too?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »

Yeah, Ventura was pretty much just a dog and pony show.  Being an Indy Gov with no support among the GOP or the DFL, he didn't get much done.  Primarily, he fought with the press pool.
MN--Troy
MNTroy
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »

I wouldn't vote for it as he is too socially liberal for me, but we need people like Ventura if we are ever going to break the two party duopoly that we have.

We need less people like Ventura, who would be running for President just to satisfy is own need for constant attention.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

We need less people like Ventura, who would be running for President just to satisfy is own need for constant attention.

I see your point as the same could be said for Nader. But when the media is covering elections,  Nader and Ventura, or Roy Moore who also comes up as a possible third party candidate, will get a lot more attention than Badnarik, Peroutka, or Cobb.

We don't want someone running just to bring attention to themself, but I think this also applies to the Republicans and Democrats as well.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »

Jesse Ventura eyes White House run in 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Refreshed from a semester as a visiting professor at Harvard University, former pro wrestler and Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he's considering an independent run for the White House in 2008, although he acknowledges that being leader of the free world might be too confining for him.

How would he do? Could he possibly win?
Ventura was elected in Minnesota because he was a radio talk show host (who happened to have been a pro wrestler).  The precinct map of his election is very interesting.  It looks like maps of the crater formed by the meteor that hit Yucatan.  A very small area in the Twin Cities carried by Humphrey, then a big circle carried by Ventura (I suspect it matches the transmission footprint of the radio station he was on), and then an area outside the blast zone which was carried by Coleman.

Ventura was greatly assisted by election day registration, which allowed people who were generally indifferent about politics to express that indifference, as well as people who wanted to treat the election as a referendum on snowmobile studs (this is not an issue that has traction in Alabama).  The vote for Humphrey and Coleman was evenly split which permitted Ventura to slip through with not much more of

No Reform Party members were elected to the legislature (most got under 5% of the vote), and Ventura used the party label much like Buchanan and Nader did in 2000 and 2004.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies