Initial registration - one "free move"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:36:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Initial registration - one "free move"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Initial registration - one "free move"  (Read 1535 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »

I just wanted to raise everyone's awareness to a question which has been discussed in this thread.

The "Introduction to Atlasia Thread" contains the following passage, and a couple of posters have mentioned this ominous "free move" as well:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

However, apparently no one, including myself, has been able to find concrete evidence (e.g. a link to a statute, constitutional amendment) which would state that the possibility of such a "free move" exists.

Hence my question (long-time players perhaps know more about this): Does anybody know if and when this "free move" rule was introduced and if it's still vaild? This has caused a lot of confusion lately and needs to be resolved.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 04:36:39 PM by Cincinnatus »

I think it's more so that region changes aren't allowed without a 6 month separation, and the initial registration isn't considered a region change.  So basically, you can change regions anytime after your initial registration, but after that region change, you can't move again for 6 months.  I hope that makes sense, and I have no knowledge otherwise...
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »

So in my case, for example, I registered as a "new" member, despite having previously been registered but my registration became invalid. Do I still have a free move under my new registration?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »

So in my case, for example, I registered as a "new" member, despite having previously been registered but my registration became invalid. Do I still have a free move under my new registration?

I don't see why you wouldn't, as you're technically a "new" register for the Census purposes.  I think it would be wise to consult someone who knows more than I..
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

Thanks, Cincinnatus. It seems to make sense this way ...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »

I'm nearly certain that the "free move" has been honored up until very recently. IIRC, a couple of new registered individuals were "sniped" and convinced to move to other regions after first joining - something that was honored in the Census.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

I'm sorry, but I can't change A. Kreizer's registration. My hands are tied unless there is some statutory or constitutional provision which would override the following:

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »

I'm sorry, but I can't change A. Kreizer's registration. My hands are tied unless there is some statutory or constitutional provision which would override the following:

So does that invalidate my move today as well? I would argue that, by registering, I was not changing, but first establishing my residency; that would make this move my first change in region, wouldn't you say, homely?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »

So does that invalidate my move today as well? I would argue that, by registering, I was not changing, but first establishing my residency; that would make this move my first change in region, wouldn't you say, homely?

I agree with this interpretation.  An initial registration is not a change "from one region to another region", and thus, is excluded from the above clause.  I see no reason not to honor a region change, if it is indeed under said circumstance.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »

But that interpretation further entails that the "free move" period would last for six months, not just one week.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »

But that interpretation further entails that the "free move" period would last for six months, not just one week.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're arguing. Could you explain it in a different way, with these examples?

Also, just so that I can go about business as necessary, can I get a clear verdict on my registration status? I don't mean to be a bug about it, I just don't want it to get lost in the debate only to find out too late that it isn't what I think it is. Thanks homely!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »

It does...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:54:16 AM »

You know we have courts to resolve stuff like this.  A court case is always a fun thing to do!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:05 AM »

You know we have courts to resolve stuff like this.  A court case is always a fun thing to do!

When was the last time the Supreme Court did anything? Was it when Tweed demanded the Presidency?

Summer of 2011.  Perhaps if our Attorney General was updating the wiki like he's supposed to...
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

When was the last time the Supreme Court did anything? Was it when Tweed demanded the Presidency?

Summer of 2011.  Perhaps if our Attorney General was updating the wiki like he's supposed to...
Add him to the long list. Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 03:34:17 AM »

Well, according to Cincinnatus' interpretation of the text, which I find convincing, neither Anton Kreitzer nor Speed of Sound made a change of registration from one region to another region before. They registered in a certain state and region (A. Kreitzer in Wyoming - Midwest/Speed of Sound in North Dakota - Midwest), but the initial registration shouldn't be considered a "change". Thus, they may now change their state of registration from one region to another region once, just as the constitutional provision you cited states.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »

On the one week versus 6 months point regarding the apparent inconsistency between the Intro thread and the Constituion - I presume the one week free move is a holdover from the 2009 Strategic Registration Amendment - which I further presume wasn't re-incorporated into the revised Third Constitution of 2010.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »

OK, I understand the point that you've made about "initial registration" and "change of registration". But keep in mind that this entails a six-month free move period, which I have been worried about because it'll be difficult to enforce and keep track of.

Sorry to be so dense, everyone. I'll make the requested changes to the registrations of A. Kreizer and Speed of Sound on Thursday when I update the voter rolls.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »

OK, I understand the point that you've made about "initial registration" and "change of registration". But keep in mind that this entails a six-month free move period, which I have been worried about because it'll be difficult to enforce and keep track of.

Sorry to be so dense, everyone. I'll make the requested changes to the registrations of A. Kreizer and Speed of Sound on Thursday when I update the voter rolls.

I understand your worries about the six-month free move period because, as you said, it's hard to keep track of it and is difficult for you to enforce. Your job already seems tiresome enough, especially since there are again a lot of posts in the "New Register Thread" that really shouldn't be there. But that's another story.

Thanks for your cooperation anyway. It's good to see that our RG takes his duties seriously.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:20 AM »

Perhaps an appeal to the Senate to tidy this up is in order, then. I will mention it to a few people later. Thank you for showing incredible patience and judgement, homely, you're a good egg!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

That's another important point. The AG really has to make an effort here. If that's impossible for some reason, he must be replaced - the wiki is just too crucial for Atlasia to be neglected.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »

That's another important point. The AG really has to make an effort here. If that's impossible for some reason, he must be replaced - the wiki is just too crucial for Atlasia to be neglected.

You know, the problem is often not will, but Dave which take weeks to give wiki editing rights.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 04:07:03 AM »

You know, the problem is often not will, but Dave which take weeks to give wiki editing rights.

Kalwejt has been AG for over a year.  And he has wiki rights.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken, afleitch is AG, even though the wiki still has Kalwejt as the current officeholder:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=155724.0
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken, afleitch is AG, even though the wiki still has Kalwejt as the current officeholder:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=155724.0

You're correct. Part of me almost thinks a cabinet position needs to be created with the sole purpose of updating the Wiki - the thing is, once it actually all got up-to-date, it wouldn't be difficult to maintain.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies