Best/Worst Candidates of 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Best/Worst Candidates of 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best/Worst Candidates of 2012  (Read 1434 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:57:57 AM »

My top 5 for each:

Best
1. Heidi Heitkamp- pretty obvious.
2. Jim Matheson- Despite getting a district that was 67% new and pulling less crossover support than in recent races, he still hung on against a nationally-hyped Republican.
3. Kathy Hochul- Hochul got the shaft in redistricting as her district, already McCain's best in the state, shifted further rightward. I thought she ran a great campaign and, though she didn't win, I think a 50.7/49.3 loss is respectable.
4. Jon Tester- He won by a surprisingly comfortable margin and, from what I followed, he ran a far super campaign to that of Rehberg.
5. Ted Cruz- This has more to do with his comfortable win in the runoff than the general.

Honorable mention: Joe Walsh. Yes, I think he did pretty well. Between his polarizing style and Duckworth's role as a national figure, he still managed to keep his race relatively competitive.

Worst
1. Ben Chandler- The fact that he only did 5% better than Obama is pretty unacceptable. Luckily for Team D, they have a few good candidates than can reclaim this seat.
2. Pete Hoekstra/Todd Akin/Richard Mourdock- Since these three need no explaintion and will be on most people's lists, I'll just count them as one.
3. Bob Casey- We've discussed his lazy campaign and underperformance quite a bit.
4. Jason Altimire- Altmire's primary loss earns him this place. Despite lobbying Republicans for the ultimately-enacted map, when it actually came time to run, it seemed like he was almost trying to lose the primary.
5. Robert Pittenger- Tough Roberts proved to be stronger than I expected, Pittenger, despite spending millions of his own money, ran 6 points behind Romney and even further behind McCrory.
adma
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »

Allen West, anyone?
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »

Best: Heidi Heitkamp
Worst: Todd Akin

But I'm finally willing to admit that Shelley Berkley deserves a spot on the worst list. Someone else would have won that race (although Berkley still should have).
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »

1. Ben Chandler- The fact that he only did 5% better than Obama is pretty unacceptable. Luckily for Team D, they have a few good candidates than can reclaim this seat.

According to a friend in Lexington, tv was wall-to-wall ads of Chandler's endorsing Barack Obama in 2008. That gave him a tough headwind in that district.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »

Best: Heidi Heitkamp
Worst: Todd Akin

But I'm finally willing to admit that Shelley Berkley deserves a spot on the worst list. Someone else would have won that race (although Berkley still should have).
Yeah you guys should have ran Cortez-Masto instead of Berkley. I think Berkley voting for the Obama Agenda hurt her statewide for some reason even though Obama carried Nevada. Heller ran on as a moderate as far as the immigration issue is concerned(ran an immigration reform.) That hepled him alot! A fun fact: Heller actually votes against his own party more than Scott Brown does.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

Claire McCaskill deserves a mention too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »

Worst candidates Todd Akin, Walsh
Best candidates Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »

In addition to all the candidates listed, I'll just ad that John Barrow ran a stellar campaign; in addition to a superb GOTV effort with African American voters, he also made a very strong appeal to rural whites. This is how you win as a Blue Dog in the rural south, people.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »

In addition to all the candidates listed, I'll just ad that John Barrow ran a stellar campaign; in addition to a superb GOTV effort with African American voters, he also made a very strong appeal to rural whites. This is how you win as a Blue Dog in the rural south, people.

That line on lynching has to be political gold in his district! Not only does it show that he's pro-guns but also that his family was anti-lynching, which would help with African Americans. Brilliant!
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

Worst candidates Todd Akin, Walsh
Best candidates Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth

I personally don't understand how Tammy could make it to a best. A jar of spoiled Mayo could beat Joe Walsh. I was surprised with how small of a margin she had too.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2012, 05:38:25 PM by nolesfan2011 »

Assuming we allow primary people on the list?

Best in terms of  over performance
1: Tester
2: Cruz
3: Pat McCrory (NC-GOV)
4: John Barrow
5: Heitkamp

honorable mention: Bob Kerrey and Dean Heller

Worst in terms of underperformance:
1: Akin
2: Dick Lugar
3:Paul Sadler (TX-Sen)
4: Connie Mack
5: John Brunner (MO-Sen primary)

Honorable mention: Elizabeth Warren, Hoekstra,  Tommy Thompson, Josh Mandel, Lee Anderson (GA-12) and Kurt Bills

My top 5 for each:

Best
1. Heidi Heitkamp- pretty obvious.
2. Jim Matheson- Despite getting a district that was 67% new and pulling less crossover support than in recent races, he still hung on against a nationally-hyped Republican.
3. Kathy Hochul- Hochul got the shaft in redistricting as her district, already McCain's best in the state, shifted further rightward. I thought she ran a great campaign and, though she didn't win, I think a 50.7/49.3 loss is respectable.
4. Jon Tester- He won by a surprisingly comfortable margin and, from what I followed, he ran a far super campaign to that of Rehberg.
5. Ted Cruz- This has more to do with his comfortable win in the runoff than the general.

Honorable mention: Joe Walsh. Yes, I think he did pretty well. Between his polarizing style and Duckworth's role as a national figure, he still managed to keep his race relatively competitive.

Worst
2. Pete Hoekstra/Todd Akin/Richard Mourdock- Since these three need no explaintion and will be on most people's lists, I'll just count them as one.
3. Bob Casey- We've discussed his lazy campaign and underperformance quite a bit.
4. Jason Altimire- Altmire's primary loss earns him this place. Despite lobbying Republicans for the ultimately-enacted map, when it actually came time to run, it seemed like he was almost trying to lose the primary.
5. Robert Pittenger- Tough Roberts proved to be stronger than I expected, Pittenger, despite spending millions of his own money, ran 6 points behind Romney and even further behind McCrory.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »

That line on lynching has to be political gold in his district! Not only does it show that he's pro-guns but also that his family was anti-lynching, which would help with African Americans. Brilliant!

And it's a positive ad, in a way. No attacking his opponent at all! Barrow's campaign director/manager was a genius.

Anyway, here's my choices for best and worst:

Best:

1. Heidi Heitkamp (for obvious reasons)
2. Jim Matheson (as much as I absolutely despise him, he ran an incredible campaign, as Miles said. They couldn't gerrymander him out this time).
3. Claire McCaskill (she pulled off a Reid-level political machination, which is no mean feat)
4. John Barrow (that ad is seriously Southern gold)
5. Raul Ruiz (managed to beat Mary Bono Mack)

Worst

1. Todd Akin ('nuff said)
2. Tommy Thompson
3. Mia Love (she ran a terrible campaign basically relying on the Romney wave to win, and she was terrible at GOTV).
4. Richard Mourdock/Pete Hoekstra
5. Bob Casey (lazy, lazy campaigner)

Runner up: Shelley Berkley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »

Heitkamp vs. Obama. She performed better in every county.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »

For what, exactly? Having a dumb ass opponent?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »

Having a dumb ass opponent in a more republican state than Indiana and Pennsylvania (even Ohio and Wisconsin) and winning by more than Joe Donnelly and Bob Casey (also Sherrod Brown and Tammy Baldwin).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »

Having a dumb ass opponent in a more republican state than Indiana and Pennsylvania (even Ohio and Wisconsin) and winning by more than Joe Donnelly and Bob Casey (also Sherrod Brown and Tammy Baldwin).

Plus her excellent, if sketchy, work ratf**ing herself said opponent in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies