Mitt Romney Is Back to Pumping His Own Gas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney Is Back to Pumping His Own Gas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney Is Back to Pumping His Own Gas  (Read 5226 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »

I thought you lived in New York, not New Jersey.  Unless you live in the Garden State or have a disability that makes it difficult to get in and out of your car, there is absolutely no reason to not pump your own gas.

"I don't always drive, but when I do, it's in New Jersey."
Stirring Wolf🥣🐺
Xiivi
Rookie
France

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »

I tell you even though Mitt's hair isnt all brylcreamed up and is a tiny bit haggard, he still looks great for his age.  He is my dad's age and looks much younger, however, my dad also worked outside in a physical job for nearly 50 years.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »

A true man of the people.

This proves it.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »

It looks like someone didn't do up his hair as he looks a lot different.  Also we know this cannot be in Oregon or New Jersey unless he was breaking the law as it is still illegal in both states to pump your own gas (a dumb law if you ask me; I am okay with requiring to prepay, but not prohibiting pumping your own gas). 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »

Cut him some slack; the guy's been unemployed for nearly six years.  A true victim of the recession.
Benj

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »

Everything I've read about the man tells me he is personally frugal and low maintenance- it surprises me little that he doesn't have a driver

Why?  It's not as if he has anything he needs to do while being chauffeured around, so a driver would be not only an unnecessary expense, it would be a bother.  It's a lot simpler to just get into the car and drive rather than have someone else do the driving for you.

I thought you lived in New York, not New Jersey.  Unless you live in the Garden State or have a disability that makes it difficult to get in and out of your car, there is absolutely no reason to not pump your own gas.

Or grew up in NJ and never learned how... *blush*

I think self-serve is illegal in Oregon as well, no?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

So with the gas lines several hours long after Hurricane Sandy, people still had to wait even longer for an attendant to pump gas for them. Jesus!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

Or grew up in NJ and never learned how... *blush*

I think self-serve is illegal in Oregon as well, no?

I haven't the faintest clue how to operate a gas pump. If I tried would actually probably kill myself in the process.

Yes, I think it's also illegal there.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »

Its illegal in both Oregon and New Jersey.  Seems like an outdated law if you ask me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »

A driver only makes sense for rich people who live in a big urban area like Manhattan where it's probably cheaper long term to hire a guy to drive your car than pay for parking.

I'm sure their decisions needn't 'make sense' in the way that you mean.  Anything they could spend on their personal misbehavior would pale by comparison to their massive privilege-incomes.  Of course one has a driver, simply because driving is a chore.   

For a lot of the rich - for example I once lived in a town that had Waltons in it - armed, trained drivers and a 'plainclothes' following car, both cars with security men, are necessary if they want to feel safer from justified retribution kidnapping.  I do believe there are even rich people with 'dummy limos' - who emulate the official practice of making transit a 'shell game' (which one is he in?)

I think you guys aren't crediting how small such expenses are compared to the privilege of this class in 2012.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies