Obama/Biden falling back to Generic D Levels in IL and DE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:41:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Obama/Biden falling back to Generic D Levels in IL and DE
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama/Biden falling back to Generic D Levels in IL and DE  (Read 4059 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »

Why did this happen?  IL in 2008 seemed like a one-time thing, but DE is particularly surprising when neighboring and demographically similar MD actually swung toward Obama/Biden over 2008.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »

Maryland is more urban and has a larger minority population although Delaware is large too.  Never mind if you compare to 2004, Obama still did much better than Kerry in both Delaware and Illinois.  The 2008 results were anomalies so I think you saw a return to more normal results albeit on the high side for the Democrats in both states.  I think a better question to ask is why the GOP did as bad as it did in Massachusetts (Romney's home state), Michigan (Romney's birth state), and Wisconsin (Ryan's home state).  In both Michigan and Wisconsin, Obama did better than both Gore and Kerry despite the fact the GOP ticket in those two had no connection to either state. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »

Maryland is more urban and has a larger minority population although Delaware is large too.  Never mind if you compare to 2004, Obama still did much better than Kerry in both Delaware and Illinois.  The 2008 results were anomalies so I think you saw a return to more normal results albeit on the high side for the Democrats in both states.  I think a better question to ask is why the GOP did as bad as it did in Massachusetts (Romney's home state), Michigan (Romney's birth state), and Wisconsin (Ryan's home state).  In both Michigan and Wisconsin, Obama did better than both Gore and Kerry despite the fact the GOP ticket in those two had no connection to either state. 

Well, culturally Mitt was a horrendously bad fit for Michigan and he hadn't lived there in decades, so that isn't surprising.  Mitt lost MI for the same reason Bush Jr. lost CT.  In another world where Mitt returned to Detroit, made his fortune in cars and was a lead mediator in the auto bailout, he would have easily won Michigan. 

New Hampshire is slightly more surprising, because Mitt was the best fit there of any of his home states.  I think this is more a matter of the state just trending D.  If you look at the rural areas in the western half of the state (NH-02), they are moving like Vermont did last decade.  Mitt did well in wealthy suburban areas, but "East Vermont" was just too much to overcome.  I think you will see Republican nominees increasingly ignore NH from this point on.  It's small, out of the way and an increasingly tough nut to crack even with the right type of nominee.

In the case of Wisconsin, the bottom of the ticket increasingly doesn't matter much.  Add to that some things that Ryan had done in the House that were fundamentally spooky to economic progressives and you have a problem.

Massachusetts is more curious, because Romney does have the right profile for that state as a Boston venture capitalist.  His problems here were similar to Gore in TN.  As connected as both were to their states, they had strayed fundamentally too far from the dominant local values.

In short, this election has basically told us that it is utterly impossible for  pro-life, anti-gay marriage candidates to compete in New England.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »

Home States generally tend to trend away from "their" candidate when he's on the ballot for the second time. CA trended D in 1972, GA trended R in 1980, CA trended D in 1984, AR trended R in 1996, TX trended D in 2004. The only exception in modern era has been Texas in 1992 (which is very surprising, if you consider Clinton's Southern appeal... did Bentsen make that much difference in 1988?).

As I said in another thread, Home States tend to trend away from their native son the second time he's on ballot. Delaware's swing in 2008 was pretty huge, so this is a logical reversion to the mean.

What I find really shocking is that Hawaii somehow found a way to trend dem again.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:55:01 AM »

Well, culturally Mitt was a horrendously bad fit for Michigan and he hadn't lived there in decades, so that isn't surprising.  Mitt lost MI for the same reason Bush Jr. lost CT.  In another world where Mitt returned to Detroit, made his fortune in cars and was a lead mediator in the auto bailout, he would have easily won Michigan. 

New Hampshire is slightly more surprising, because Mitt was the best fit there of any of his home states.  I think this is more a matter of the state just trending D.  If you look at the rural areas in the western half of the state (NH-02), they are moving like Vermont did last decade.  Mitt did well in wealthy suburban areas, but "East Vermont" was just too much to overcome.  I think you will see Republican nominees increasingly ignore NH from this point on.  It's small, out of the way and an increasingly tough nut to crack even with the right type of nominee.

In the case of Wisconsin, the bottom of the ticket increasingly doesn't matter much.  Add to that some things that Ryan had done in the House that were fundamentally spooky to economic progressives and you have a problem.

Massachusetts is more curious, because Romney does have the right profile for that state as a Boston venture capitalist.  His problems here were similar to Gore in TN.  As connected as both were to their states, they had strayed fundamentally too far from the dominant local values.

In short, this election has basically told us that it is utterly impossible for  pro-life, anti-gay marriage candidates to compete in New England.

Massachusetts isn't that hard to figure out. His presidential campaign rhetoric ran like hell from his record as governor there, and he never failed to bash the state while disowning Obamaca....er, I mean "Romneycare".
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »

New Hampshire is slightly more surprising, because Mitt was the best fit there of any of his home states.  I think this is more a matter of the state just trending D.  If you look at the rural areas in the western half of the state (NH-02), they are moving like Vermont did last decade.  Mitt did well in wealthy suburban areas, but "East Vermont" was just too much to overcome.  I think you will see Republican nominees increasingly ignore NH from this point on.  It's small, out of the way and an increasingly tough nut to crack even with the right type of nominee.

So... why is Atlas falling for the "NH is a pure Tossup" thing again?

I mean, no one really gives a shlt but you, bro.
Redban

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »

Maryland is more urban and has a larger minority population although Delaware is large too.  Never mind if you compare to 2004, Obama still did much better than Kerry in both Delaware and Illinois.  The 2008 results were anomalies so I think you saw a return to more normal results albeit on the high side for the Democrats in both states.  I think a better question to ask is why the GOP did as bad as it did in Massachusetts (Romney's home state), Michigan (Romney's birth state), and Wisconsin (Ryan's home state).  In both Michigan and Wisconsin, Obama did better than both Gore and Kerry despite the fact the GOP ticket in those two had no connection to either state.  

"Let Detroit Go Bankrupt!"
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »

This is not historically uncommon at all; incumbent Presidents and VPs have almost always had less of a home state advantage when running for reelection than in their initial run prior to assuming national office.

Makes sense as they are more of a national figure when running for reelection and less associated with their home state.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 07:34:58 PM by hopper »

Maryland is more urban and has a larger minority population although Delaware is large too.  Never mind if you compare to 2004, Obama still did much better than Kerry in both Delaware and Illinois.  The 2008 results were anomalies so I think you saw a return to more normal results albeit on the high side for the Democrats in both states.  I think a better question to ask is why the GOP did as bad as it did in Massachusetts (Romney's home state), Michigan (Romney's birth state), and Wisconsin (Ryan's home state).  In both Michigan and Wisconsin, Obama did better than both Gore and Kerry despite the fact the GOP ticket in those two had no connection to either state.  

"Let Detroit Go Bankrupt!"
Yeah Mitt wasn't for the Auto Bailout.
hopper
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

Massachusetts is more curious, because Romney does have the right profile for that state as a Boston venture capitalist.  His problems here were similar to Gore in TN.  As connected as both were to their states, they had strayed fundamentally too far from the dominant local values.

In short, this election has basically told us that it is utterly impossible for  pro-life, anti-gay marriage candidates to compete in New England.
Well I think 2012 Romney NH was more comparable to Gore 2000 TN since both states were pretty close to the close to the National Popular Vote totals.

Massachusetts was just way too Dem for Romney to win at the Presidential Level to win in this partisan environment. Reagan did take the state both times in his election victories(just barely in 1980(41.9-Carter's 41.Cool and by 3% points in 1984.) John Anderson(I) took 15% of the vote in Massachusetts in 1980 which I never knew about, I was shocked when I found that out 10 minutes ago. Massachusetts voted at a PVI of D+8 in 1984.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies