Somewhat Odd Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:16:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Somewhat Odd Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Somewhat Odd Map  (Read 3179 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »

Using the results of the last 4 presidential elections, last 4 Senatorial elections, and last 4 Gubernatorial elections in each state.  Color shading is based off of % of elections won.

Democrats won every statewide elections in Washington, Delaware, and (of course) D.C.  Republicans did this in Utah, Idaho, and Texas.

Funny how we Democrats talk a lot about Texas, but have had literally zero sucess there in the past decade.  Its also interesting to see a lot of states we think of as solidly blue/red, not being that way if we include Senate and Governor elections. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »

The pattern is actually a lot more neat, than I would have imagined.
WV and Montana being the chief exceptions.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

Using the results of the last 4 presidential elections, last 4 Senatorial elections, and last 4 Gubernatorial elections in each state.  Color shading is based off of % of elections won.

Democrats won every statewide elections in Washington, Delaware, and (of course) D.C.  Republicans did this in Utah, Idaho, and Texas.

Funny how we Democrats talk a lot about Texas, but have had literally zero sucess there in the past decade.  Its also interesting to see a lot of states we think of as solidly blue/red, not being that way if we include Senate and Governor elections. 
Very true.  It's why I would argue that there's really no such thing as a solidly red or blue state.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:06:14 PM »

Very true.  It's why I would argue that there's really no such thing as a solidly red or blue state.

When it comes to grubantorial races, absolutely. That's why I wouldn't advise including just races to measure a state's partisanship, fwiw.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »

I like Arkansas in the white color. Its totally in the political center! That may change a little over the next 4 years though!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »

When it comes to grubantorial races, absolutely. That's why I wouldn't advise including just races to measure a state's partisanship, fwiw.
I sure don't because the evidence I've seen suggests that you can't.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

what do the 30% shades represent?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »

7/5 states.   Each state has 12 races included total, so 7/5 is the closest they can be without a tie. The exception is states like Maine, where independents have been elected.  The D/R ration is still close to 7/5 though, so thats what I used.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies