Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:12:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 71982 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »

Where are you getting these shapefiles? I'll have access to the program next term, so I might be able to help out a bit.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »

Snohomish County R-74 (Gay Marriage) Map:

Snohomish County I-502 (Marijuana) Map:

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »

Where are you getting these shapefiles? I'll have access to the program next term, so I might be able to help out a bit.

Anywhere I can find them, basically. Finding the shapefile is one of the hardest parts. The best option is to find a county that has a GIS page where you can simply get the latest shapefiles, but that isn't always possible. Sometimes the state Auditor has them, sometimes somewhere else does. Google is a good place to start. If all else fails, there are the 2010 Census Tiger/Line shapefiles, but they may require editing to get up-to-date.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 01:46:11 AM »

Who exactly are the voters who support marijuana legalization but oppose gay marriage to the point of voting to make it illegal? 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »

Here's a map of Snohomish County comparing the Yes vote on gay marriage against the vote for Obama. The red areas are where Obama outperformed R-74 whereas blue areas gay marriage did better than Obama.

Unsurprisingly, Obama outperformed gay marriage along highway 99, an area with plenty of minorities (for Washington) and working class poor; in the poorer parts of north Everett; in downtown Marysville (which resembles areas near highway 99); and on the Tulalip Indian Reservation. Gay marriage outperformed Obama along the wealthier coastal precincts (similarly in Mill Creek), along highway 9 in Cathcart (?), some areas around Monroe and various lakes, and (for some reason) in the Stillaguamish Valley. My own precinct was one of the few that voted for Romney yet still supported gay marriage (and marijuana legalization).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:43 AM »

Jefferson and/or St. Louis counties in Missouri?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2012, 07:32:26 AM by Sbane »

Who exactly are the voters who support marijuana legalization but oppose gay marriage to the point of voting to make it illegal? 

I can tell you they are likely 60-70% males. Perhaps older folks who don't oppose gay marriage from a religious perspective?

Also it looks like there is a higher correlation between republican voting and voting against gay marriage. Marijuana legalization is more of a non partisan issue.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

There are just more people who are inflexibly opposed to gay marriage (almost exclusively for religious reasons) than marijuana legalization.  As Sbane says, a lot more crossover votes (from both parties) on pot.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »

Also, RI, how are you doing the map overlay?  It looks amazing.  Nice, nice work!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »

Also, RI, how are you doing the map overlay?  It looks amazing.  Nice, nice work!
Adjust the transparency of your precincts layer to 40-60%, and add a reference layer behind it (Bing roads or combined roads/imagery would probably work best).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »

Obama only won 3 precincts in Jefferson County. Romney won the vast majority with >50% of the vote. St. Louis County would be more interesting, but I'll have to see if I can find an up-to-date shapefile.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »

Obama only won 3 precincts in Jefferson County.

How in the Wide, Wide World Of Sports did he only win 3?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

Because he lost by 13 points in a relatively homogenous county?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

Because he lost by 13 points in a relatively homogenous county?
Homogenous in past voting habits, racial demographics, income too I think. Not quite so much in population density, though it depends: relative to what?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »

Adjust the transparency of your precincts layer to 40-60%, and add a reference layer behind it (Bing roads or combined roads/imagery would probably work best).

I saw that, and I know how to do transparency, but I'm not sure how the overlay with Bing (I think that's what he's using) is done.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »

I saw that, and I know how to do transparency, but I'm not sure how the overlay with Bing (I think that's what he's using) is done.

If you're in ArcGIS (I don't know about other programs), you can add a basemap by clicking down arrow on the yellow icon that you use to add files generally and selecting "add basemap". It's pretty quick.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »

If you could do a precinct map of Virginia (narrow in on the swing areas if need be), that would be cool. VPAP.org has results by precinct. I have one of the entire state and one of Northern Virginia from 2008 so we could compare and contrast.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »

If you could do a precinct map of Virginia (narrow in on the swing areas if need be), that would be cool. VPAP.org has results by precinct. I have one of the entire state and one of Northern Virginia from 2008 so we could compare and contrast.

Unless you can find me the latest statewide shapefile that matches the election results, I'm afraid the best I can do is individual county (or perhaps groups of counties) maps.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »

Here is a precinct map of LA county, although it does not include absentees or provisionals.
http://graphics.latimes.com/how-la-voted-2012/#9/34.2152/-118.6111
Benj

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »

Here is a precinct map of LA county, although it does not include absentees or provisionals.

Palmdale is becoming really Democratic, isn't it? I wonder how long Republican support in the Antelope Valley can hold up. Buck McKeon might be in trouble some time this decade.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »

Well, I guess it's just johnbuterbaugh's lucky day. Here's the full precinct map for the state of Virginia. Seriously, I think I deserve to be made king or something for this. Tongue

Seattle
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »

That is..... GORGEOUS! Wow, amazing job. What's up with that relatively strong rural support for Obama in the middle of Virginia? It's also quite white.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »

Northern Virginia with basemap:

Richmond:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »

Palmdale is becoming really Democratic, isn't it? I wonder how long Republican support in the Antelope Valley can hold up. Buck McKeon might be in trouble some time this decade.

Yeah, it's the only place in LA county where you can get large houses for under 200k. Lots of minorities are moving in there and the only way to reverse that trend would be if Democrats come out in favor of higher gas taxes. It should be noted that the minorites that live in these sorts of areas (and choose that sort of lifestyle) were actually quite fond of Bush. So Republican aren't totally screwed, theoretically. Also Mckeon's problems could stem from his long tenure in Washington. People like to throw out the bums from time to time. I wouldn't be surprised if Mckeon loses sometime this decade. The real question is whether there are any popular democrats in the Palmdale/Lancaster area. I think the area is represented by Republicans in the state house and senate.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

That is..... GORGEOUS! Wow, amazing job. What's up with that relatively strong rural support for Obama in the middle of Virginia? It's also quite white.

Albermarle is self explanatory but I don't know what's up with the areas right south of it. Anyone know?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies