Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:23:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 72144 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »

Niihau swung to Obama from McCain. McCain had 87.5% there (only 40 votes though).
I was gonna say. Wow. What happened?

Is the one in the center the same one McCain got; I know he got one in Laie and one in that general area but forget where exactly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »

Also, RI, how are you doing the map overlay?  It looks amazing.  Nice, nice work!
Adjust the transparency of your precincts layer to 40-60%, and add a reference layer behind it (Bing roads or combined roads/imagery would probably work best).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

Obama only won 3 precincts in Jefferson County.

How in the Wide, Wide World Of Sports did he only win 3?

Because he lost by 13 points in a relatively homogenous county?
Homogenous in past voting habits, racial demographics, income too I think. Not quite so much in population density, though it depends: relative to what?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »

Yowza! You're the best, realistic.

Is there any way to post that image so that we can zoom in for greater detail?

If you click on the map, it gets rather large. You should be able to see everything fairly easily. Is there a specific area you want a zoomed in shot of?

I don't know why it appeared so much smaller earlier today. I can see it supersized now, thanks!

Seems a little strange that a big city like Richmond has so few voting districts. Buffalo, NY is of a similar size and has something like 300-400 precincts.
VRA. Reviewing precinct boundaries takes DOJ approval in the South. While a formality, it's still a bother, so Southern precincts tend to remain more stable - and be huge in the suburbs.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »

I don't believe Oregon reports result by precinct. Last I checked Oregon votes by mail in presidential elections.

Although there is universal vote by mail, Oregon does report results by precinct
There would be literally no reason to trust their election results otherwise.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tin foil alert.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

I'm not sure why there's "literally no reason to trust" the results unless they report by precinct.  It's an arbitrary consolidation of ballot types for fairly technical purposes.
Well, none but "oh, I suppose they have checks and balances and people from both parties working together".
The release of local results serves to allow everybody to see that they make sense and are plausible. Nobody's going to be able to guesstimate whether Multnomah should have given Barack Obama 66% or 70% of the vote in a close statewide race to the point where he can call out a result as obvious fraud - yet that's a 15k vote difference.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies