Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 71471 times)
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »

If you could do a precinct map of Virginia (narrow in on the swing areas if need be), that would be cool. VPAP.org has results by precinct. I have one of the entire state and one of Northern Virginia from 2008 so we could compare and contrast.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

Thank you so much, Realisticidealist! I am doing a college research paper on the election results in the state, and I can't tell you how much appreciation I have for all your effort! Beautiful and well done! I'd imagine you could probably do municipal results in the Northeast and Great Lakes states if you had the data.
-John
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »

Thank you so much, Realisticidealist! I am doing a college research paper on the election results in the state, and I can't tell you how much appreciation I have for all your effort! Beautiful and well done! I'd imagine you could probably do municipal results in the Northeast and Great Lakes states if you had the data.
-John

Political geog w/Norris?

Yep. That's him! Are you taking the class as well and decided to use the forum as a resource?
-John
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »

You should be able to do a map on the Maryland side of the DC Metro (Montgomery Co., Prince George's Co., Washington, D.C.)
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »

Since the precinct shapefiles should be the same as in the 2012 Virginia presidential election, how difficult would it be to do a precinct map for the U.S. Senate election in Virginia? I'm not sure how you did the map of Virginia by precinct when I've only been able to find precinct results county-by-county.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

Compare the 2012 map to the 2008 map:
Of course, the projections and resolutions are different.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2012, 12:34:07 PM by johnbuterbaugh »

Figured I'd put up my map of town results in New England. This by no means follows the color scheme USElectionAtlas.org does. Figured I'd use ArcMap to make a map as opposed to Paint for once.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Not sure whether you're using Atlas colors or normal colors, but either way you appear to have the colors reversed in Connecticut from the rest of the map.
Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to flip the color scheme in Connecticut. I just uploaded a different map because I found the previous one misleading. Vermont is by no means a purple state but the method I was using was absolute vote margin as opposed to proportional vote margin. So, I just made two classes of color. Although it appears that Homely Cooking has already made an excellent map.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »

I don't believe Oregon reports result by precinct. Last I checked Oregon votes by mail in presidential elections.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I would like to see Morris County, NJ.
Here's the entire state for the 2012 presidential election:

Municipal data for Morris County available here http://www.morriscountyclerk.org/html/Elections/muni_sum.asp
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies