Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2019, 12:04:37 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Santorum: GOP needs to tell people we can help (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rick Santorum: GOP needs to tell people we can help  (Read 1886 times)
PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 23, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »

We Republicans are in a box, one largely of our own making. The American electorate didn't buy our box. Millions stayed home instead not because of how the box was wrapped, but rather, what we didn't include in it. It's time that conservative Republicans build a new box and offer Americans a broader, bolder and more inclusive vision of freedom and opportunity, as well as provide the tools to achieve them.

I've led strategic planning for Republicans on Capitol Hill and coordinated with the White House and the Republican National Committee while in party leadership, so I know this will not be easy. There has been no shortage of Mitt Romney postmortems with recommendations ranging from pursuing greater ideological purity to rebranding and "softening" positions to attract more Hispanics, women and young voters. Some have even blamed me and the other primary challengers for the election results.

These analyses come largely from the academic and pundit crowd. As Republican leaders confer over the next several weeks to prepare for a new Congress, we have to own up to the fact that millions of Americans who should have voted for our candidates were not against us, but at the same time felt we were not for them. Most notable among this electorate were lower-to-middle income and working-poor Americans, especially Hispanics. The American people do not want "gifts" from their leaders, particularly when these gifts leave a steep bill for our children to pay, but they do want us to be on their side.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121119/OPINION05/121119039/Rick-Santorum-GOP-needs-to-tell-people-we-can-help

Bolding mine.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies