"Highly-Skilled Immigrants" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:12:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Highly-Skilled Immigrants" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Highly-Skilled Immigrants"  (Read 1574 times)
Sound + Vision
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.97

« on: November 24, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »

This is an issue on which I'm quite conflicted. On the one hand, I believe that multiculturalism should be pursued for multiculturalism's sake. On the other, and I dont have any data to back this up, but I have a feeling that so-called "highly-skilled immigrants" don't exactly come from the bottom of the social ladders of their respective country. As a result, not only do poor Americans have to compete with the well-off of other countries in addition to the well-off of their own, but impoverished countries are being drained of their own desperately-needed educated population. Anyways, these are just my thoughts on the subject. What do y'all think?
Sound + Vision
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.97

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

It makes perfect sense for any country to want to attract the best of the best in any field.
Does it? That's my question. There are obvious benefits to this approach, but I want to know if they outweigh the drawbacks. You mentioned the brain drain some African countries experience; that's one of them. I also mentioned in my opening post how encouraging skilled immigration makes it even harder for natives who aren't born well-off.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies