Opposing party: Who's nomination do you fear the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:35:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opposing party: Who's nomination do you fear the most?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Opposing party: Who's nomination do you fear the most?  (Read 7264 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »

Who do you fear the most being nomination out of the other party?

For me obviously Hillary Clinton is a threat though we won't really know until the campaign takes off to see how far her approvals drop (will she go back to 08 Hillary, a little lower, keep 5-10 points higher being SoS?)

I also fear Cuomo can bring over independents and perhaps republicans, especially if they are unsatisfied with the nominee (particularly if the nominee is a boring far rightist). Same with Schweitzer (though could he raise the money and how good is he on TV? If both those are positives I fear him more).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »

Chris Christie would be quite formidable -if he can get through the primaries with a Tea-Party electorate clamoring for one of their own. 
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »

Christie. Maybe Bush if his brother didn't destroy the family name.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »

No idea.  I really don't care this early in the game, and PLEASE believe me when I say that Hillary Clinton will NOT run in 2016.  I guess she could be my answer, because I would never want the spouse of a former president to become president himself/herself.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

I really fear Hillary, both for her ability to win and what she'd do in office. I'd probably fear President Warren too, if she wasn't unelectable.
The Constable
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -8.17

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

Electability-wise: Christie
Ideology-wise: Rubio
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

Electability:  Cuomo
Ideology:  Warren
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

Worst for Democrats:

1. Martinez (particularly vs. a white male D)
2. Christie
3. Jindal (he seems to have the temperature of the country right now)
4. Ryan (FDR ran for VP in 1928...)
5. Rubio (can probably be linked to the Tea Party enough to offset demographic appeal)

Worst for Republicans:

1. H. Clinton
2. Schweitzer
3. Warner (right positioning, needs to work on exciting people)

I'd love to see a Martinez vs. Clinton election.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »

Electability: Cuomo/Clinton
Ideology: Warren
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »

Get back to me in spring 2016.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

Warner or Cuomo are going to be really hard to beat. They own the center, and Warner has a ton of demographic advantages.

Clinton's going to be tough, but it all depends on the last few years of Obama. She could easily meet the same fate as McCain.

I pray for a Biden or Warren nomination.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »

Electabilty: Cuomo and Clinton
Ideology: Warren and O'Malley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »

I fear Warren, because I think she could actually pull it off. I don't fear Hillary, because I could probably be supportive of a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Honestly, I don't think the Democrat bench is as formidable as people believe. I'm not scared of the Democrats, I'm scared that the Republicans will be stupid.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »

Ask me in a year or two...

well, I wouldn't tell you at all. You might nominate him/her. Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »

I'm curious... what is it about O'Malley's ideology (but isn't associated with Clinton or Cuomo) that scares you?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

I'm curious... what is it about O'Malley's ideology (but isn't associated with Clinton or Cuomo) that scares you?

It isn't necessarily the same as Warren, its kind of opposite reasons. Warren is representitive of someone who I wholeheartedly disagree with on economic policy, and someone who doesn't seem really concerned about the major infraction on our civil liberties and would probably continue in that direction. On the other hand, O'Mally doesn't scare me, he's kind of in the Biden league of being wrong on most issues and willing to go along with bi-partisanship no matter what, especially when it leads to devastating things.
osideguy92
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.43

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »

If I were still a Democrat, just in terms of sheer electability, I'd have to say Jon Huntsman. In terms of ideology, I'd say Paul Ryan.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »

Electability: Christie, Bush, maybe Rubio, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Martinez
Ideology: Rubio, Ryan, Paul
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »

First of all, fixedlol.

Secondly, I think this is a really good point that has been brought up.  FDR did lose, in a huge popular vote landslide, as the Vice Presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket in 1920.  Some people argue that it actually BENEFITTED him to have been on the ticket of 1920, that it gave him a huge boost for the future due to his campaigning.  Something that I find, especially looking at the results, quite hilarious.  FDR in the early 1920's was deader than Disco, what with his landslide loss, the Newport Sex Scandal, and finally his paralytic illness.  It was only after he mended some of his ways with Tammany in the 1920's, building a key relationship with New York Governor Al Smith that included campaigning for Smith against his own cousin Theodore Roosevelt Jr. in 1924, that FDR had a shot at even returning to politics.  Surely, his victory in the 1928 Gubernatorial, in a good year for Republicans, was seen as a Godsend.  It was on this record as governor that he eventually built up the momentum, given the Great Depression, to go onto become one of the most consistently highest rated presidents by historians (though whether or not he deserves it is up to debate by many, including myself.  But let's leave that discussion for another time).

So yes, Paul Ryan may very well be a threat, though I doubt it since he doesn't really have what I call "teh people skills."
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »

Huntsman is the dark horse for the GOP; Jeb Bush might be the sleeper in the pack, then it is Ryan, followed by Rubio, Christie, Jindal and Martinez in that order.
On the Democrats side, it has to be Hillary, my feeling is, that she won't run, mostly due to concerns over Bill's health; her decision will cost Cuomo, who will be playing catch up with Biden and O'Malley, who will have advantages in fund-raising and organization, but you can't discount Warner, Patrick (if he's not Attorney General) or even Rahm Emanuel.
It's early days yet
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »

Mark Warner.

He turns a near-essential swing state into a likely Democratic victory. He's also rather competitive in North Carolina, where demographics are increasingly favorable to Democrats.

And he was born in Indiana, so he could do well in the Midwest.

He's a centrist, so he's more appealing to issues-oriented swing voters than Kerry and Gore (both of whom had narrow losses) and Obama.

He was by all accounts a good Governor of Virginia, and has amassed an understanding of Washington as Senator, so he would have a good chance of being reelected. And I think the New Republic folks would go nuts at the implications of Democrats holding the White House for four terms.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »

Huntsman is the dark horse for the GOP; Jeb Bush might be the sleeper in the pack, then it is Ryan, followed by Rubio, Christie, Jindal and Martinez in that order.
On the Democrats side, it has to be Hillary, my feeling is, that she won't run, mostly due to concerns over Bill's health; her decision will cost Cuomo, who will be playing catch up with Biden and O'Malley, who will have advantages in fund-raising and organization, but you can't discount Warner, Patrick (if he's not Attorney General) or even Rahm Emanuel.
It's early days yet

Rahm Emanuel?

A lot of liberals I know would DESTROY Emanuel. I would be shocked if Rahm Emanuel were even competitive, much less the nominee.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »

While Warner's the most electable, Warren would likely do the most damage. Gilibrand and O'Malley would also be likely to have the worst political ideologies.

The worst candidates to lose to could be Clinton or Gilibrand because there are likely to be long-term advantages to Democrats being the first major party to nominate a woman for President.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

Christie.

Although if we're talking ideology, Paul or Ryan.
ReelectCarterMondale!
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »

I really fear Hillary, both for her ability to win and what she'd do in office. I'd probably fear President Warren too, if she wasn't unelectable.

How are you an independent? You sound like a right-wing extremist...or worse, a Libertarian...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies