SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:25:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd)  (Read 8323 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

What do I have to do for there to be a Veto override vote?  Whichever it is, that's the one I want to do Smiley

That's not an option. You can either withdraw the bill or vote on the redraft.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »

What do I have to do for there to be a Veto override vote?  Whichever it is, that's the one I want to do Smiley
Re-introduce the bill.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2013, 10:33:14 PM by Senator X »

I withdraw the bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »

Jeez, what happened to the whole "step in the right direction" thing? Sad

I also don't think this bill is the whole solution.  However, it will help and thus I'll support it.  I'd also support other measures, but I'm not going to vote against a good bill just because it doesn't include everything I'd like it to.  This is, in my view, a step in the right direction; it's not a solution by itself.

Doesn't apply to this bill?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

I also don't think this bill is the whole solution.  However, it will help and thus I'll support it.  I'd also support other measures, but I'm not going to vote against a good bill just because it doesn't include everything I'd like it to.  This is, in my view, a step in the right direction; it's not a solution by itself.

Doesn't apply to this bill?

I'm going to reintroduce it, as that is what I've been told is necessary to get it passed, even if there's a veto.  I do think this bill is a major part of the solution.  That said, if the bill is vetoed and an override fails, I'd support your version.  I hope that makes sense.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2013, 01:50:58 AM »

It makes sense to want to further ones political aims, I'm just puzzled why a proactive response to a small economic matter is taken yet be willing to take a retroactive, inch by inch approach to an issue where lives are at stake.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:01 AM »

It makes sense to want to further ones political aims, I'm just puzzled why a proactive response to a small economic matter is taken yet be willing to take a retroactive, inch by inch approach to an issue where lives are at stake.

I'd be happy to discuss a comprehensive package of additional measures with you on gun control/mental health.  That and Senator HagridOfTheDeep's bill are not mutually exclusive.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

It died with your insulting redraft.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »

I posted that several times. That comes at stage. We vote on the redraft and then when it fails, you can choose between to send it back to the President as is , when he vetoed it, then you could have requested an override.

It is also right here in italics:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »

I posted that several times. That comes at stage. We vote on the redraft and then when it fails, you can choose between to send it back to the President as is , when he vetoed it, then you could have requested an override.

It is also right here in italics:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'doh Sad I take it that it is to late to vote on the redraft (and hopefully defeat it)?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

Yes, it probably is.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »

Well, I guess that how you learn Tongue. I guess this will have to get passed again and all Sad  When you say probably though are you implying it might not be to late? Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

Well, I guess that how you learn Tongue. I guess this will have to get passed again and all Sad  When you say probably though are you implying it might not be to late? Wink

After serving with Bacon King as PPT, and then Vice President, you tend to learn that anything goes procedurally, provided you can provide some kind of procedural finesse to justify it. Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

After serving with Bacon King as PPT, and then Vice President, you tend to learn that anything goes procedurally, provided you can provide some kind of procedural finesse to justify it. Wink

What would I need to do in this case?  I want to learn how to screw the rules too? Smiley Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »

What would I need to do in this case?  I want to learn how to screw the rules too? Smiley Wink

You have to have money to do that (or be in love with Nurse Joy. Wink). Damn it, now I want to watch YGOTAS and my computer is still out of commission. Sad

Talk to BK, he might be able to bail you out, probably for a fee though.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »

Sad

I will reintroduce the bill when I return to the Senate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

Sad

I will reintroduce the bill when I return to the Senate.

I already did Tongue  I was given incorrect info about which option to pursue, sorry guys Sad
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

Lol
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM »

Don't worry, the original version will still get passed Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

Actually, Mr. PPT, I realized that you never gave a time limit for making my decision.  Given that fact, how can it be too late to say that the withdrawal was a tentative decision and my final decision was to vote on the redraft?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

Actually, Mr. PPT, I realized that you never gave a time limit for making my decision.  Given that fact, how can it be too late to say that the withdrawal was a tentative decision and my final decision was to vote on the redraft?

Time limits aren't provisioned for this procedure in the Consitution, and it isn't present in the OSPR at all. If it were, we would have had a problem when we had to change sponsors.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »

Time limits aren't provisioned for this procedure in the Consitution, and it isn't present in the OSPR at all. If it were, we would have had a problem when we had to change sponsors.

In other words, I can still make my final decision and take as much time as I want to make a final decision Wink  My tentative decision was withdrawal, but my final decision is to have a vote on the redraft Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2013, 08:14:14 PM by Bacon King »

Bacon King's Patented Loophole Abuse to the rescue!

It's my opinion that the Constitution plainly states that the original sponsor of the bill gets to make the call, which would be Snowstalker even if he's not a Senator. It specifies original sponsor, rather than saying something like "primary sponsor" or just saying "sponsor", so I believe Atlasian law clearly specifies that it wasn't Mr. X's decision to make, but Snowstalker's, even if he was no longer a Senator.

However, if you consider the phrase "as so defined in Senate rules" to mean that the OSPR allows Mr. X to become the "original" sponsor for purposes of the Constitution, then this statement clearly indicates a final decision to call for a vote on the redraft, meaning that his later call to withdraw the bill was invalid:

However, if your determination of his intent in the above post differs from my own, I'd also like to point out that there was a breach in Senate procedure in regards to Mr. X's assumption of sponsorship. Yankee, you never actually accepted Mr. X's sponsorship bid and didn't announce the requisite period for objections, you only stated your intention to do so:

The best way I can think of to move forward here to is to accept jdb's motion to assume sponsorship and call 48 hours for objections.

You technically didn't actually announce that you accepted his assumption of the sponsorship so the following post where you said the 48 hours had expired was plainly out of order. Anyone hypothetically wishing to object would have had no idea they were actually supposed to do so, since you only mentioned it as a hypothetical. Therefore whatever Mr. X declared was invalid because he wasn't the sponsor per the requirements of the OSPR, since it was never actually announced by the PPT.

So, there's three ways out of this predicament, just take your pick Grin
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »

Thanks Bacon King!  You are truly one of the greatest procedural experts and legal minds in Atlasia Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »

Thanks Bacon King!  You are truly one of the greatest procedural experts and legal minds in Atlasia Smiley

d'aww, thanks! Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies