Prince Charles says he is tired of waiting to beomce King..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prince Charles says he is tired of waiting to beomce King..........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Prince Charles says he is tired of waiting to beomce King..........  (Read 6043 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
« edited: November 30, 2012, 06:00:45 AM by Minion of Midas »

I was wondering the same. Wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Note 138 is a The Times article now behind a registrationwall. Here's the 139 Guardian rebuttal:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/dec/27/monarchy.michaelwhite

Doesn't say he will be Charles III, mind.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »

He could also pick Victoria II.  He'd be honoring his great-great-great-grandmother, and it would shake things up a bit.  Brits like surprises, I'm told.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

He could always lead the fight for Welsh independence and rule as King Siarl I of Cymru. Wink
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »

He could always lead the fight for Welsh independence and rule as King Siarl I of Cymru. Wink
Or become Charles IV of Scotland after the referendum.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

If Scotland recognized the Jacobite secession and then for some reason switched over to him, he'd be Charles V, not the IV.  However, in the unlikely event that Scotland chose to invite the Jacobite line back, they certainly won't put Charles on the throne, but Francis II. (Assuming the current Duke of Bavaria is still alive by then - Francis is older than Charles, but younger than Elizabeth II.) 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2012, 07:15:43 PM by politicus »

If Scotland recognized the Jacobite secession and then for some reason switched over to him, he'd be Charles V, not the IV.  However, in the unlikely event that Scotland chose to invite the Jacobite line back, they certainly won't put Charles on the throne, but Francis II. (Assuming the current Duke of Bavaria is still alive by then - Francis is older than Charles, but younger than Elizabeth II.)  
Who would be Charles IV then? Bonnie Prince Charles was no. 3 and no Stuart claimed the Scottish throne after his brother Henry IX.
Benj

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »

It's safe to say that his reign will be a lot shorter than his mother's.

Considering how long Queen Mom lived, his mother may very well outlife him.

Let's hope so. Useless twit.

Yes let hope the British queen see one of her children in the grave before her. Useless psychopath.

Hardly a big deal if they're both very old. Totally different from a parent burying a young child.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »

It's safe to say that his reign will be a lot shorter than his mother's.

Considering how long Queen Mom lived, his mother may very well outlife him.

Let's hope so. Useless twit.

Yes let hope the British queen see one of her children in the grave before her. Useless psychopath.

Hardly a big deal if they're both very old. Totally different from a parent burying a young child.
Pretty tasteless comment. If you are a 100 years old and your son is 75, you will not concider him "very old" and it is always painfull for a mother to lose a child, no matter the age.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »

The reign of George VII will last 10 years tops. William the IV (assuming he keeps the name) will be on the throne for 30-40 years starting in the late 2020's. So it won't be all that bad for the British people Wink.
Are you sure about George VII. Why not Charles III? Too Stuart?
Stuart=Catholic, so yep Wink.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »

The reign of George VII will last 10 years tops. William the IV (assuming he keeps the name) will be on the throne for 30-40 years starting in the late 2020's. So it won't be all that bad for the British people Wink.
Are you sure about George VII. Why not Charles III? Too Stuart?
Stuart=Catholic, so yep Wink.
Lewis checked that issue (see earlier in the thread). His own staff denies the George VII thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »

Who would be Charles IV then? Bonnie Prince Charles was no. 3 and no Stuart claimed the Scottish throne after his brother Henry IX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_succession

While he never bothered to actively pursue the matter, Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia was considered by the Jacobites to be Henry IX's heir, Charles IV.  I suppose a case could be made that the abdication he made of the Sardinian throne in 1802 after his wife's death in favor of his brother also included the Jacobite claims he inherited in 1809 from Henry IX.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_succession

While he never bothered to actively pursue the matter, Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia was considered by the Jacobites to be Henry IX's heir, Charles IV.  I suppose a case could be made that the abdication he made of the Sardinian throne in 1802 after his wife's death in favor of his brother also included the Jacobite claims he inherited in 1809 from Henry IX.
I think the relevant fact here is that none of the Jacobite heirs since the death of Henry IX actually claimed the thrones Scotland and England or even incorporated the arms of England and Scotland in their coats-of-arms. So they wouldnt count as actual Kings of Scotland.
In my hypothetical scenario Prince Charles would be no. 4.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »

Am I the only one who finds all these gossips and speculations regarding the affairs of a family a tad creepy?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »

Am I the only one who finds all these gossips and speculations regarding the affairs of a family a tad creepy?

Probably... but you're a young lefty, so a bit prone to unnecessary offense Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »

"Prince Charles says he is tired of waiting to beomce King.........."

When did he say that?  You're just making stuff up Winfield.

How dare you question my integrity sir?  Smiley

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/9700402/Prince-Charles-Im-running-out-of-time.html

In a series of remarkably candid comments, Prince Charles hinted that he feared his legacy as king would be cut short.

During a visit to Dumfries House, the stately home in East Ayrshire which the Prince helped save for the nation, he joked about his reputation for pursuing projects with notorious vigour but made a poignant reference to his mortality.

He said: “Impatient? Me? What a thing to suggest! Yes of course I am.” He added: “I’ll run out of time soon. I shall have snuffed it if I’m not careful.”

The comments, which were recorded for a film on the Clarence House website about the Prince’s involvement with Dumfries House, will fuel ongoing speculation that Prince Charles, 64, is more eager than ever to take the throne after 60 years of waiting.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

I do not believe there is any way that Prince Charles, if and when he becomes King, will use any other name than King Charles III.

His entire life he has been known as Charles around the world, so I simply cannot see him using the name George after his grandfather, or any other name than Charles III.

As to the religion issue, the first Stuart king of England, King James I of England and James VI of Scotland, was Protestant.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 01:03:28 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2012, 01:07:14 AM by Former President Polnut »

I do not believe there is any way that Prince Charles, if and when he becomes King, will use any other name than King Charles III.

His entire life he has been known as Charles around the world, so I simply cannot see him using the name George after his grandfather, or any other name than Charles III.

As to the religion issue, the first Stuart king of England, King James I of England and James VI of Scotland, was Protestant.

mmmm... it wouldn't surprise me at all if Charles uses George as his regnal name... Edward VII's name was Albert, as was George VI's. Plus his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George... so it's already one of his names.

As for the article... I think the it's choosing second-hand gossip and other's interpretations of what he's said. Nothing he's actually said suggests he's impatient to ascend the throne specifically, merely what I've always seen from him, he's someone who believes he still has a lot to give and lot left to do and he, like all of us, has a use-by-date. 

And as I've said, I doubt he will find the throne will give him MORE opportunity to achieve anything... more the opposite, it'll hog-tie him.

And even IF Charles is impatient about ascension... it's pointless, she's going nowhere.... when Queen Juliana of the Netherlands abdicated in 1980 in favour of her daughter Beatrix, apparently (so it's not in anyway confirmed) Elizabeth II jokingly said "well, that's the Dutch for you"
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 01:50:37 AM »

Yep. Meaningless sh**te.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 06:07:39 AM »

I said Charles, don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil ?

Excerpt of The Queen is Dead lyrics by The Smiths (1986). Sorry, I cannot say nothing more relevant on this subject.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Edward VII was Prince Albert before ascending the throne, ftr.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »

Yes, but they'd waited for less time and spent less time in the spotlight. Keep in in mind Edward VII wasn't the heir until Albert Victor died. Prince Charles has spent his entire life waiting, do we really expect to start calling him George? It could be a renewal of sorts though. And I do like the sound of it though.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »

Yes, but they'd waited for less time and spent less time in the spotlight. Keep in in mind Edward VII wasn't the heir until Albert Victor died. Prince Charles has spent his entire life waiting, do we really expect to start calling him George? It could be a renewal of sorts though. And I do like the sound of it though.

Albert Victor was George V's elder brother, not Edward VII's
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »

Edward VII was the heir since the very day he was born. And he waited exactly 60 years.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »

I said Charles, don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil ?

Excerpt of The Queen is Dead lyrics by The Smiths (1986). Sorry, I cannot say nothing more relevant on this subject.

Now we're talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5F9yQCu_Y
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »

mmmm... it wouldn't surprise me at all if Charles uses George as his regnal name... Edward VII's name was Albert, as was George VI's. Plus his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George... so it's already one of his names.

They (along with George V and Edward VIII)  had Albert as one of their names to please Victoria.  That didn't mean they wanted the name themselves.  If Vickie had had her way, the regnal names of all the kings that followed her would have been double-barrelled names beginning with Albert, in which case Charlie boy would become King Albert Charles I when he inherits the throne from his mother, Queen Alberta Elizabeth I.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies