Secession vs. Succession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Secession vs. Succession
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Secession vs. Succession  (Read 4471 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »

Who else gets irritated when someone (presumably accidentally) substitutes 'succession' for 'secession'?  Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

I do, but all malapropisms irritate me, so it's not too important. Tongue
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Yep, especially when they are in favor of it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:54:30 AM »

This. It reads so odd when it's done. I hope no one's pronouncing them the same.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:25:23 AM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »

Who else gets irritated when someone (presumably accidentally) substitutes 'succession' for 'secession'?  Tongue

Depends upon the context.  Once in a while it makes for wonderful unintended poetry.

your substituted for the contraction of you are is the only one that consistently gets under my skin.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »

I haven't seen anyone do it to get annoyed (presumably because the phrase is used more in US). I suppose my biggest irritation would be the amount of times I've seen lose spelt as loose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2012, 01:04:29 PM by angus »

I haven't seen anyone do it to get annoyed (presumably because the phrase is used more in US).

What do your newspapers call it?  I guess you could call it separation.  In the US the adjective "separatist" is used to modify the noun "movement" such as when discussing Basque political activism or South Sudan, but the act is almost always referred to as secession.  

Incidentally, I don't recall any newspapers or magazine writers substituting succession for secession.  I only ever see that mistake on this forum, and only from a few posters, but many of them make it in a way that it comes off as ironical, because the mistake is usually made when someone is talking about a US state legislature taking it upon itself to gain independence from the federal government.  You get comments like:  "Obama says we should not return to the way things were.  He's wrong.  That's why the succession movement is so popular."  (note the paradox.)  Well, that wasn't very good really.  I'm trying to make one up.  There was one post, and I forgot its author, but he typed succession for secession.  Clearly he meant secession, but if it was read literally, then the post had the opposite effect than was intended.  It was positively delicious.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »

Cheesy

Yes, seperatist or independence.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »

A little.  What annoys me more is when Republicans in states like Texas talk about secession because of Obama when it was Democrats who supported secession because of Lincoln.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »

A little.  What annoys me more is when Republicans in states like Texas talk about secession because of Obama when it was Democrats who supported secession because of Lincoln.

Oh God just shut up. A broken record is less annoying.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

Yep, especially when they are in favor of it.

Oh God just shut up. A broken record is less annoying.

Broken records, can, in fact, be very enjoyable.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama ever tried to secede, but I would be highly surprised if they succeeded. At anything unoffensive, really.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

Hmm... could that maybe suggest that those Democrats are now Republicans?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Those Democrats are now dead. Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2012, 07:18:51 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Who else gets irritated when someone (presumably accidentally) substitutes 'succession' for 'secession'?  Tongue
A little.  What annoys me more is when Republicans in states like Texas talk about secession because of Obama when it was Democrats who supported secession because of Lincoln.

Yeah, but would YOU want to support Democrats if you knew about that, no matter how long ago it was?
Any records can be enjoyable.  Wink
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »

I have heard people pronounce the word "secession" as if it was "succession" and yes, it irritates me very much.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:58:53 AM »

Damnit, is this my fault with my timeline?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »

Who else gets irritated when someone (presumably accidentally) substitutes 'succession' for 'secession'?  Tongue
A little.  What annoys me more is when Republicans in states like Texas talk about secession because of Obama when it was Democrats who supported secession because of Lincoln.

Yeah, but would YOU want to support Democrats if you knew about that, no matter how long ago it was?

I'm an advocate of secession, so yes. Unfortunately, the Democratic Party no longer has the platform it did in the 19th century, as everyone except yourself seems to have noticed.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 12:26:15 AM »

I'm an advocate of secession, so yes. Unfortunately, the Democratic Party no longer has the platform it did in the 19th century, as everyone except yourself seems to have noticed.

Something about this response is really awesome.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »

So what?  It was still their platform.  Would you want to be a Democrat if you knew about that?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »

So what?  It was still their platform.  Would you want to be a Democrat if you knew about that?

Yes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »

How many Democrats have to respond to your question with "yes" before it acquires meaning?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - the Democratic Party was on the wrong side of many civil rights issues for a good stretch of its history, a stretch that ended conclusively in the 1960s with LBJ forcing the issue and aligning the Dems with civil rights enforced by the federal government. If I were alive and voting at different eras of history, I'd hope I'd have voted Republican. But none of that has anything to do with my preference now, when the issues matrix has changed and people have resorted themselves into different parties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies