Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:59:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well, would you have?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 150

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  (Read 13474 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« on: September 25, 2017, 02:21:36 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2017, 02:23:47 AM by BWP Conservative »

I would have voted "no" on the act as it was written.  However, I would have tried to slightly alter the bill.  The two alterations I would have made would be to eliminate Title II from the act completely and to alter Title VII. Title II infringed on the rights of private business owners' property rights and Title III provided adequate protection to ensure everyone was served at government facilities.  I would have changed Title VII so that it didn't apply to private employers but would still apply to government employees.  After removing the sections about "public accommodations" and private employment I wouldn't just have voted yes, I would have actively campaigned along side Senator Goldwater in favor of the act.  
Yes, some liberal Democrats like Robert Byrd voted against the act for racial reasons but for myself and Goldwater, our opposition came from the infringement on the right of private individuals.
Modern day, I absolutely agree Title II should be repealed.  You should have the right to refuse service to anyone.  As far as title VII goes, I feel less strongly in favor of repeal but would definitely like to see more religious exemptions added to Title VII, like the ones seen in ENDA of 2013.  Just as SCOTUS ruled part of the Voting Rights Act no longer necessary and unconstitutional, I would like them to do the same with Title II and maybe with title VII.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies