Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:33:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well, would you have?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 150

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  (Read 13486 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 04, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »

I think you know: Yes (R).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2012, 09:27:18 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

America was founded on the right to refuse to serve black people at your diner.
This quote automatically makes you a massive HP.  It may not be "we reserve the right to refuse service to robots and space bikers", but it's WAY worse.  I know you're being sarcastic, but you're completely wrong on this one.  Even one of my PoliSci professors said that the "state's rights" argument was irrelevant and was essentially calling for a return to the Articles of Confederation.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »

Yes (I), and I suspect that many of those voting 'no' in this poll would have, too. I've yet to see an argument against the act's passage that isn't racist or blithely ahistorical.

So Barry Goldwater was a racist?

Certainly his actions were.
Goldwater was a founding member of the NAACP in Arizona and was instrumental in making his family's department stores one of the first businesses in that state to desegregate.  He was not a racist, but Democrats successfully portrayed him as one in the 1964 campaign for his vote, even tying him to the KKK in ads.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

America was founded on the right to refuse to serve black people at your diner.
This quote automatically makes you a massive HP.  It may not be "we reserve the right to refuse service to robots and space bikers", but it's WAY worse.  I know you're being sarcastic, but you're completely wrong on this one.  Even one of my PoliSci professors said that the "state's rights" argument was irrelevant and was essentially calling for a return to the Articles of Confederation.

I was being completely sarcastic, dude. I was poking fun of the libertarian arguments against the CRA.
I know.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »

Yes (I), and I suspect that many of those voting 'no' in this poll would have, too. I've yet to see an argument against the act's passage that isn't racist or blithely ahistorical.

So Barry Goldwater was a racist?

No. He was ignoring a solid century of institutionalized segregation.

Also, didn't Goldwater later claim that he regretted his vote? My understanding is that he viewed the bill as unconstitutional on the basis of dubious legal advice from Robert Bork (which cited a number of late nineteenth century supreme court rulings). I'm not student of law, but the era of the court that brought us Plessy v. Ferguson strikes me as a poor source of justification for opposing civil rights legislation.
Bork was a champion of civil rights who just thought 1964 CRA was too extreme.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

Bork was a champion of civil rights who just thought 1964 CRA was too extreme.

Bork on the CRA:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bork on the First Amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
If Bork opposed it, then it was for legal reasons.  Otherwise, he was a pretty strong civil rights supporter.  So he was kind of like Goldwater.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »

Yes (R), which means my time as a 1960's Tennessee Congressman might have been rather short Smiley

I am greatly disappointed that we have so many people on this forum who voted "no".  I don't think a "no" vote means someone is a racist.  Yet, a "no" vote on this issue in 1964 was certainly a vote to enable racists to infringe on freedom.

Racial discrimination is by far the greatest threat to individual liberty that has ever been faced by any group of individuals in our country's history.

The federal government was the only agent with the political and logistic capability to attempt to restore that natural liberty.  The freedom for many individuals to be able to gain equal access to prosperity and happiness far outweighs the infringement on the right of a restaurant owner or businessman to discriminate against a man based on his skin pigmentation.
Absolutely true.  It's why it wasn't unconstitutional.  And Howard Baker was elected to the Senate in Tennessee in 1966 on a pro-integration platform.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies