Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:06:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well, would you have?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 150

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  (Read 13403 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

No, for the reasons True Federalist outlined.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »

To pick at Bedstuy's point, obviously not everyone is a perfectly rational economic actor. But let's look at it from the other side. Southern racists were obviously willing to take black money. They may not let them sit at the lunch counter, but if their racism was that dominant, they wouldn't be letting blacks in at all. All it takes is a few places serving blacks and all of a sudden you lose money by sticking to your racist principles.

This has been shown on numerous occasions, most notably with Jackie Robinson in Major League Baseball. I also believe blacks were hired in some industries in apartheid South Africa solely because the executives wanted to save on pay. Once there is a critical mass of people willing to put aside their racism for cash, the problems tend to die off.

Unless the government is enforcing them of course.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »

Just because the court system currently does it does not justify the practice. I'm not a believer in thought crimes.

It's not a thought crime.  It's an action, like firing someone for example, with a certain mental state attached.  Pretty much all crimes require a certain mental state.  If courts couldn't make findings on mental states you couldn't have the legal system.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
Thoughtcrime
noun
an instance of unorthodox or controversial thinking, considered as a criminal offence or as socially unacceptable.

If someone decides not to hire a black because they are black, any charges against them are clearly thought crimes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies