Would you go to a church if it was giving out free pot to first time visitors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you go to a church if it was giving out free pot to first time visitors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Would you go to a church if it was giving out free pot to first time visitors?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Would you go to a church if it was giving out free pot to first time visitors?  (Read 12422 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »

Someone at mine suggested that we should try this if we were in Colorado or Washington...and I realize it's actually a brilliant idea. I wonder if any church in those states will actually try it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:25:31 AM »

>BRTD thread
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »

No.  I don't go to church for chemical inspiration, but spiritual inspiration.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2012, 11:41:41 AM by AWallTEP81 »

Of course not.  Don't you think getting people high and then pumping your creed into their heads is going a little too far?  

Let what you believe to be the positive message bring people in if they want to come... not freebies. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »

Of course not.  Don't you think getting people high and then pumping your creed into their heads is going a little too far?  

Let what you believe to be the positive message bring people in if they want to come... not freebies. 

There was a church here in Uptown Minneapolis that once offered to pay next month's rent for one random first time visitor at their next service. They even mailed out fliers advertising that.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »

Nope.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »

There was a church here in Uptown Minneapolis that once offered to pay next month's rent for one random first time visitor at their next service. They even mailed out fliers advertising that.

Well I'd do that... paying rent sucks
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

How many people came though? Even if that only attracted 20 new people that still gives you only a 1 in 20 chance. For the record I didn't go.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »

How many people came though? Even if that only attracted 20 new people that still gives you only a 1 in 20 chance. For the record I didn't go.

I'd take a ONE PERCENT SHOT at getting my rent paid if all I had to do was attend a service.  I pay about $1,000/month to live on campus.  I could go visit my friends in Colorado with that... twice!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »

I'd take a ONE PERCENT SHOT at getting my rent paid if all I had to do was attend a service.  I pay about $1,000/month to live on campus.  I could go visit my friends in Colorado with that... twice!

Would you raise your hands during the songs then?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »

I'd take a ONE PERCENT SHOT at getting my rent paid if all I had to do was attend a service.  I pay about $1,000/month to live on campus.  I could go visit my friends in Colorado with that... twice!

Is this what happens?  I'm only familiar with Episcopalian and Catholic services; not too much raising of the hands there.

I guess I would.  I think I've shown a free month of rent would be very important to me.  
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »

Of course not.  Don't you think getting people high and then pumping your creed into their heads is going a little too far? 

Is this what happens?  I'm only familiar with Episcopalian and Catholic services; not too much raising of the hands there.

I guess I would.  I think I've shown a free month of rent would be very important to me. 

The modern equivalent of money lending in the temple! Hell yeah!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »

Yes!  Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »

No.  That's definitely going a little too far...

Also
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »

Sure. I'd roll around on the floor, handle snakes and speak in tongues if they gave me rent money too.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

No.

I am not so desperate as to seek spiritual inspiration, much less anything else, from a cabal of spaced out pot heads.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »

Of course.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

This should be your next display-name. Just saying.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

No.

I am not so desperate as to seek spiritual inspiration, much less anything else, from a cabal of spaced out pot heads.

I thought you liked smoke filled rooms.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »

No.

Spaced out pot heads can be very insightful!  : (
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »

Yeah I guess so. Weed's expensive. Sit through five hours of church service, get an 1/8th. That's better than minimum wage!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

I don't think that would be legal in Washington. Possession is only legal up to like an ounce or something and selling is still illegal unless you're the state, so presumably any church that had enough to have such a promotion would be shut down, if not by the state than certainly by the Feds.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »

I'm not relligious (quite opposite, actually), but I'd expect a church should be about something deeper than getting a free pot.

Seriously, does your "faith" have any real backbone at all?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies