Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:35:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Travesty: Abhisit Vejjajiva charged with 'murder'  (Read 8713 times)
Cory
YaBB God

« on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »

Many of the opposition to legal and regulated prostitution I hear comes from this idea that sex is somehow "special" in an quasi-spiritual sense and thusly not based in fact.

"I don't think selling sex is right."

"I just don't think sex should be a commodity."

Ect, ect.

It's similar to people who oppose legalization of Marijuana. "It's just bad."

If the sex trade is regulated properly sex trafficking can be cut down. Similar to drug legalization cutting down on drug trafficking. What John in their right mind would choose some dirty street walker over the clean and safe alternative? Don't get me wrong there will always be broke people who have to get their fix but legalization and regulation actually have a notable affect in making sex workers safer. Which is infinitely more then you can say for the high-horsed moralistic stands of some people, which accomplish nothing.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:33:34 AM »

But why don't you accept that there might be a legitimate moral concern about accepting sex as a commodity? Is it so weird to think that sex is a particularly meaningful aspect of human life and must not be degraded in a merchandised relationship? I don't want you to agree with me, but you can't just dismiss these concerns only because they are grounded on morality.

The issue is that you would be using a moral concern to make laws that would apply to all of the people. Also, the society would be taking a "moral stand" at the expense of more rational laws that would actually improve the lot of sex workers (and their clients, for that matter).

However, when sex is turned into a full employment, organized in activities that amount to corporations, I think the State can and must step up and take action against the "customers" and against the "capitalists", while leaving the "workers" alone (ideally, helping them).

Why is it inherently wrong in your view to pay for sex but not a big deal to sell it? This seems like an obvious double-standard.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »

I do think that the fundamental consequences of legalizing prostitution (ie, spreading a merchandised conception of sexuality) would ultimately outweigh its potential advantages. I just think it is fundamentally necessary for a society to cultivate the idea that one's body is not and cannot be for sale.

Like I said before; this argument amounts to "It's just bad". You are enforcing your arbitrary value judgment upon the entire population.

Because it is indisputable that, in 90% of cases, prostitutes are the victims of merchandised sex rather than their beneficiaries. Of course they get paid for that, so what? Most of them do this job because they feel this is their only opportunity to maintain economic security, and, as Politicus pointed out, this activity physically and psychologically degrades them.

So why are you against the single most reliable say to improve the lot of said sex workers? Taking your "moral stand" does nothing to adjust the situation.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »

I like to think it isn't arbitrary, since it is derived from deep personal reflections, as well as scientific findings in domains such as psychology and sociology, which it's not worth detailing now.

The same can be said for literally any moral judgment ever. Also, cite your claims about  "psychology and sociology". Because they are worth going into if they are going to be a part of your argument.

But anyways, this is exactly what politics is about. Politics is about determinating, as a society, what we judge as good and what we judge as bad, and what is the best way to favor the good and combat the evil. You cannot found any public policy without basing yourself on some form of morality.

I base my political policy prescriptions on what is materially best for the society. Also, there is no such thing as good and evil. Life is grey.

I think that cracking down on pimps and brothel owners, to the contrary, has the purpose to emancipate their "employees". As I said, ideally the State should take charge of offering prostitutes opportunities to insert themselves in a normal professional career, but I understand that this is a much broader problem. Nonetheless, while legalizing prostitution might improve the conditions of prostitutes, it does not change the fundamentally degrading nature of prostitution.

The government has been enforcing anti-prostitution laws and has not had your desired effect. As for the bold, if by "might improve the conditions of prostitutes" you mean "it will utterly and massively improve the lot of sex workers" then yes. Every first world nation with legalized prostitution has improved the lot of sex workers dramatically. Legalizing and regulating prostitution has the facts to back it up.

Again your opinion on the matter ultimately boils down to the fact that you just don't like prostitution as a concept personally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies