Change of Allegiance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Change of Allegiance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Change of Allegiance  (Read 6015 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 10:18:50 AM »
« edited: April 03, 2004, 10:21:52 AM by Ben »

In the Uk and loads of us where trying to get Glastonbury Festival tickets… we where talking online at the same time… the festival ticket site had crashed and the phone lines where collapsing (link http://www.nme.com/news/108067.htm OR http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3595387.stm ) … at about nine pm I suggested it was a really bad April fools… sadly it was not…  of course we didnt not a get a freaking ticket despite most of us being up and on line from 8pm till 4am! We found somewhere else up in Scotland (T in the park festival and the line up is way better)… but if ya want an April fools day that has gotta be one of the worst… dame hippy farmer and his faulty phone lines!  
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »

In the Uk and loads of us where trying to get Glastonbury Festival tickets… we where talking online at the same time… the festival ticket site had crashed and the phone lines where collapsing (link http://www.nme.com/news/108067.htm OR http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3595387.stm ) … at about nine pm I suggested it was a really bad April fools… sadly it was not…  of course we didnt not a get a freaking ticket despite most of us being up and on line from 8pm till 4am! We found somewhere else up in Scotland (T in the park festival and the line up is way better)… but if ya want an April fools day that has gotta be one of the worst… dame hippy farmer and his faulty phone lines!  

Last time I went to Glastonbury was when tickets were still £70 a piece... which means I went a looooong time ago. Of course in those days you could climb the fence with no problems, so in actual fact I didn't spend a dime. Ah, memories. Who's headlining this year? Anyway, sorry to hear about that problem with the tickets. Lol, "damn hippie farmer" - suck it to Michael Eavis!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2004, 05:00:01 PM »

Lol, "damn hippie farmer" - suck it to Michael Eavis!

Pretty much what me and my friends where saying all night as well...

Headliners this year where...

Paul McCartney

Oasis

Muse

Not great but these where also playing... Kings of Leon, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, PJ Harvey,  James Brown, Black Rebel Motor cycle club... oh well...

Got Tickets for T in the park as i can go to that as opposed to Reading and Leeds which are too late in the year for me (back in the US)...

Went to Glasto last year REM, Radiohead... Interpol, Radio 4, Kings of Leon, Flaming Lips, David Gray, Mogwai, Cooper Temple Clause, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Darkness,  Idlewild, Brendan Benson, Supergrass, Jools Holland, The Polyphonic Spree, Turin Brakes, The Coral, The Libertines, The Thrills, Goldfrap....

[gasps for breath]

Then again last year was much better than this year.... i say that now and suddenly a host of really great bands confirm themselves topped off by a “surprise” appearance by U2... that would be my luck

T in the park is better though… plus I get to see Scotland for the first time!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 12:16:06 AM »

He does identify the dems as the party of pacifism, the cause of the second world war and holocaust, however. aSo he must have some conservative leanings.

And the Republicans weren't at some fault for WWII? Harding steered away from the League of Nation, and he and his successors ignored the failingTreaty of Versailles.

I hope you were kidding.  The League of Nations and the Treaty of Versailles?  Democratic ideas (Wilson) that completely and utterly failed to bring a lasting peace.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2004, 11:39:21 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2004, 11:40:06 AM by Michael Z »

Lol, "damn hippie farmer" - suck it to Michael Eavis!

Pretty much what me and my friends where saying all night as well...

Headliners this year where...

Paul McCartney

Oasis

Muse

Not great but these where also playing... Kings of Leon, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, PJ Harvey,  James Brown, Black Rebel Motor cycle club... oh well...

Dunno, Muse kinda sound worth it, they're one of the few contemporary British bands I've got time for. OK, so they copy shamelessly from Jeff Buckley and Radiohead, but then again show me one British band from the last 15 years that has managed to be totally original in some way... apart from Radiohead, of course... and even they lose novelty once you listen to the Aphex Twin or Laurie Anderson. But I don't wanna ramble on too much.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wish I had gone last year. I so wish I had. Seriously, I was watching the highlights on TV, with Radiohead, Flaming Lips (who have to be one of the best live bands ever), etc and it definitely looked like the best Glasto in ages. Gah, envy. Anyway, hope you have a good time at T In The Park. Smiley
M

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2004, 02:13:00 AM »

Actually, I was thinking about pacifism in general, especially that of Neville Chamberlain. He referred to the modern Democrats as having this ideal, which is the next most damning thing to saying they have genocide as an ideal. (It means you will allow genocide to happen, or at least create the conditions through weakness, perceived or otherwise, so that it will happen, like it or not.) I was actualy not talking about the Democratic party of the teens-40s (Which I likely would have supported as the less isolationistic).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 09:01:59 AM »

The LN failed due to lack of backing, just like the Versailles Treaty, even though the latter was flawed from the beginning really.

Chamberlain wasn't really a pacifist, he was reliably hawkish after he had realized his mistake.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies