Sandoval instills Obamacare Medicaid expansion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sandoval instills Obamacare Medicaid expansion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sandoval instills Obamacare Medicaid expansion  (Read 3063 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

The first GOP Governor to put Obamacare in his state.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12/brian-sandoval-nevada-medicaid-expansion_n_2284478.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »

Brave man -given the fact he is also going to set up a state-run exchange, I guess this means he is staying in Nevada since there is no way he can make it out of the primaries.  
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »

Brave man -given the fact he is also going to set up a state-run exchange, I guess this means he is staying in Nevada since there is no way he can make it out of the primaries.  

I could see him being the Senator in Reid's seat.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/idaho-obamacare-insurance-exchange_n_2280509.html

This article says that Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi and New Mexico are also going to set up their own exchanges as well. Interesting note about Mississippi is Governor Phil Bryant doesn't' want it, but the Republican Insurance Commissioner is going to set one up anyway against the Governor's wishes.  
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

Looks like the dominoes are falling rather quickly.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »

Within a decade or so all the sates will be doing it, Blue and Red
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2012, 02:20:11 PM by Frodo »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/idaho-obamacare-insurance-exchange_n_2280509.html

This article says that Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi and New Mexico are also going to set up their own exchanges as well. Interesting note about Mississippi is Governor Phil Bryant doesn't' want it, but the Republican Insurance Commissioner is going to set one up anyway against the Governor's wishes.  

So along with Gov. Brian Sandoval, I guess we can now rule out Susana Martinez running for President -or in being appointed Veep.  
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

I'm actually more interested to see which states will sign on with the Medicaid expansion than whether or not states set up their own exchanges. The Medicaid expansion was probably the most important part of Obamacare. It should be tough for states to hold out, especially when they're getting free money for years (and still a great deal after that). It is good to see some Republican sanity once in awhile. Unfortunately, the states that need the Medicaid expansion the most (like Texas) have the most obstinate governors.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

Looks like the dominoes are falling rather quickly.

Well, when Obamacare will turn out to being a success, they will be able to take credit for implementing it, while the stubborn and ideological governors will be in electoral trouble.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »

If the states don't create their own exchange, then the federal government creates an exchange for the state. So it's kind of surprising why any state is rejecting it, since it gives the federal government more power over them, but whatever... their loss.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

Otter, Branstad, whatever the Mississippi Insurance Commissioner's name is, and Martinez are doing the right and sensible thing. As is Sandoval, obviously, since he's the subject of this thread.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »

I wonder if New Mexico's governor will follow suit? Both these states have legislatures most likely in favor. Then there's states like Missouri and Arkansas where the legislature is probably opposed while the Governor is not: http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2012/11/09/MedicaidMap

Also thought this was interesting: http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/gov-nebraska-lawmakers-could-override-veto-on-medicaid-expansion.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

So along with Gov. Brian Sandoval, I guess we can now rule out Susana Martinez running for President -or in being appointed Veep.  

With the obstructionist facade falling this quickly, I don't see raving tea party goofs being a force to be reckoned with for much longer.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »

I'm not sure a GOP governor doing a state-run exchange is automatically DOA in a presidential primary. If ACA works the way it's supposed to, then by 2016 the governors who went with the federal-run exchanges have a primary problem for relinquishing the ability of a state-run exchange to the big bad evil federal government. Governors who went with a state-run exchange will probably still get hit but it won't work because it will be obvious that those governors were right to have confidence in ACA.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »

I'm not sure a GOP governor doing a state-run exchange is automatically DOA in a presidential primary. If ACA works the way it's supposed to, then by 2016 the governors who went with the federal-run exchanges have a primary problem for relinquishing the ability of a state-run exchange to the big bad evil federal government. Governors who went with a state-run exchange will probably still get hit but it won't work because it will be obvious that those governors were right to have confidence in ACA.

If you were referring to a rational primary GOP electorate, you'd be right. 
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »

I wonder if New Mexico's governor will follow suit? Both these states have legislatures most likely in favor.

Yup: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/01/09/1426161/new-mexico-medicaid-expansion/

greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »

Now this one is surprising. The third Republican governor, and the first with a Republican majority in the state legislature (we'll see if they support it too), to sign up for the Medicaid expansion is Jan Brewer: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/arizona-medicaid-expansion_n_2474726.html

There was a ballot measure in the state in 2000 that partially expanded Medicaid above federal minimums at the time so they were probably closer than other states to the ACA's guidelines but the Southwest does stand out so far.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »

New Mexico and Nevada are too poor to play political games with Medicaid.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »

That isn't stopping South Carolina.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »

I didn't expect someone like Jan Brewer to support this, but I'll definitely give credit where it's due.

Most of the insanity on this issue is coming from Southern Republican governors, which is of course where its needed the most. I wouldn't be surprised to see more Republican governors sign up. The biggest question will be which ones.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

That isn't stopping South Carolina.

The South isn't self-aware.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »

A lot of the Medicaid expansion would be helping blacks, so it's not surprising that Southern Republicans are so opposed to it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »

A lot of the Medicaid expansion would be helping blacks, so it's not surprising that Southern Republicans are so opposed to it.

This is what I don't understand about republicans. Why not, instead of punishing people who don't vote for them, they help them? That way, next time around, some of these people will think "hey, I should vote for that nice Republican that expanded Medicaid so that I'd be covered."
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »

This is what I don't understand about republicans. Why not, instead of punishing people who don't vote for them, they help them? That way, next time around, some of these people will think "hey, I should vote for that nice Republican that expanded Medicaid so that I'd be covered."

Because it will be spun by their conservative backers as money from hard-working white southerners being taken from them to subsidize dead-beat black folks with nothing better to do than loiter on a street-corner and rage against the injustice of it all. 

In short, if these Republicans supported Medicaid expansion, they'd be primaried.   
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »

The GOP Governor in North Dakota is doing it now too
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies