US County Map: Race/Party Correlation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:05:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  US County Map: Race/Party Correlation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US County Map: Race/Party Correlation  (Read 8821 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

You're welcome. Grin

For the optimum aesthetic experience, I suggest opening each map in a new tab/window so as to be able to toggle back and forth between the two.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:13 AM »

You are amazing! What great work! Such beautiful maps! I'll follow your advice and flick between maps tomorrow, can only view on my phone at the moment.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

I might be interpreting this wrong, but does this mean that Whites living in minority areas voted mostly Democratic regardless of region?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »

Well, if we consider the color scale and superimpose a curve on it which roughly connects all points of equal Obama percentage and non-white percentage like so:

we see that, assuming a 100% minority vote for Obama, all of the colors above the curve would not be possible on the map. But we know that they are possible because the total minority vote for Obama is much less than 100%, especially among certain Hispanics and "other races". In places like West Texas, moreover, the Census data shows large populations of non-whites, but few of them are registered or turn out to vote. If you know which of the two factors are in play in a given area, you can probably make a poor approximation of the White percentage for Obama. But in places like the Deep South, you can generally make the assumption that the non-white vote is for Obama and the white vote is for Romney. Obviously you can't do that in the cities, but that's why the color there is more purple than pink.

So there are limitations to this color scheme, but not all that many. All things considered, it generates a pretty accurate and revealing picture of racial politics in America.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »

Wow, fantastic! I think I'm gonna stare at this until my eyes bleed.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »

It will be fun to see if Democrats start winning counties in the Panhandle/Western Texas.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

These maps are simply incredible, besides being aesthetically very cute. As you say, probably it's necessary to bear a heap of factors in mind about the census and the voters' register, but is very nice if you want to have a general perspective.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

i love these maps.  Congrats on all the hard work
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »

I would love if someone could do a county map with the white  vote only, I guess a good estimate could be figured out by looking at the demographics of each county and allocating to Obama 95% of blacks  and 72% of the Asian/Hispanic/other, doing this one should be able to get a rough estimate of the non-Hispanic white vote.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

I would love if someone could do a county map with the white  vote only, I guess a good estimate could be figured out by looking at the demographics of each county and allocating to Obama 95% of blacks  and 72% of the Asian/Hispanic/other, doing this one should be able to get a rough estimate of the non-Hispanic white vote.

I would too but as a Georgian, I might be embarrassed to look at it. I'm sure there are plenty of counties in south Georgia where whites voted less than 5% Democrat. I mean, seriously, just look at the census results (black & white percentage) for most counties down there and you'll get a rough estimate of the election results.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »

That wouldn't really work. For instance, Obama got 42% of the white vote in Pennsylvania. However, I'm sure he got a much greater percentage of whites in Lackawanna County than he did in Lycoming County.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2013, 05:59:33 PM by ¡Cuatro años más! »

I would love if someone could do a county map with the white  vote only, I guess a good estimate could be figured out by looking at the demographics of each county and allocating to Obama 95% of blacks  and 72% of the Asian/Hispanic/other, doing this one should be able to get a rough estimate of the non-Hispanic white vote.

I would too but as a Georgian, I might be embarrassed to look at it. I'm sure there are plenty of counties in south Georgia where whites voted less than 5% Democrat. I mean, seriously, just look at the census results (black & white percentage) for most counties down there and you'll get a rough estimate of the election results.

Yea that's true, I like to look at Romney's  percentage in a given county and compare it to the percentage of whites in that county.

Example the 2010 Census says Futon County is 41% white, Romney got  34.5% of the vote in Fulton. I am almost positive that at least 97% of Romney's votes in Fulton came from whites.

34.5 x 0.97= 33.5%
33.5 divided by 41% = 82%

Romney probably got around 82% of the white vote in Fulton give or take.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies