has anyone here ever received Social Security disability payments for psych...?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:19:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  has anyone here ever received Social Security disability payments for psych...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: has anyone here ever received Social Security disability payments for psych...?  (Read 1118 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »

has anyone here ever received Social Security disability payments for psychiatric reasons?  I am thinking of this as an alternative to seeking work.  does anyone have any tips?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »

Well, you probably need to prove that you do in fact have psychiatric issues. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem, all things considered.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

Well, you probably need to prove that you do in fact have psychiatric issues.

Many folks here could probably qualify by submitting a transcript of their posting history on Atlas.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »

Well, you probably need to prove that you do in fact have psychiatric issues.

I've already won some in the private insurance game through proving my psychiatric issues, now I want to step up to the social insurance game.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »

If you do this, the conservatives win.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:01 AM »

Don't be a  quitter man. You know how many broke people I come across at 6am on their way to work struggling to feed their families who would do anything for the opportunities you've been given. Address and confront your issues.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:16 AM »

I suppose if you don't mind living a live of poverty, it could work.  Keep in mind that SSI is not Social Security, the payments generally are not a good and if you have too much net worth, they stop, even if you are still considered disabled.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:45:28 AM »

What happened to moving to Lapland?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 04:11:54 AM »

Or, perhaps you should stop drinking... that'd probably be a step in the right direction.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »

I receive Social Security disability payments, but not really for psychiatric reasons.  It has more to do with my Asperger's, Tourette's, and OCD, none of which I would consider a disability (but, in many cases, a blessing.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »

I receive Social Security disability payments, but not really for psychiatric reasons.  It has more to do with my Asperger's, Tourette's, and OCD, none of which I would consider a disability (but, in many cases, a blessing.)

cool! how much $$ are we talking about?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

Don't be a  quitter man. You know how many broke people I come across at 6am on their way to work struggling to feed their families who would do anything for the opportunities you've been given. Address and confront your issues.

How does that happen?  Are you on your way home from the club?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »

Haha, that used to be the case. However, with my current job I start my commute and day quit early.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »

It gets lonliest at night
Down at the liquor store
Beneath the neon sky
Our moonlight
Six a.m., the floor comes alive with lice
The pan's dried up so tight
With hardened beans
We're hungry
So I lean on you sometimes
Just to see you're still there
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »

Not much, but I won't give an exact amount.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »

Not much, but I won't give an exact amount.

no fun.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

My own mother can't even get social security disability, and she is confined either to a bed, an arm chair, or a wheel chair... has use of one arm and almost no use of her legs.  But she has been told she does not qualify as apparently she's not "disabled enough".

The PCA that has worked for her for 7 years has a husband that gets $1200/month because he has a bad back and he works full time seal-coating driveways getting paid under the table so he can continue to get benefits.

You'd better be damned sure your psychological problems interfere with your life to the point that gainful employment is impossible... because from what it sounds like, your family has the resources to support you and help you get the help you need to lead a normal life.

My family has all the moral/emotional/sympathetic support in the world for my mom... but we have no money.  And before the conservatives jump in with "SEE THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN SO WE SHOULD DISMANTLE IT"... every time the GOP starts hacking at budgets with a crow bar, my mom gets kicked off of medicaid and has to go through the process of reapplying.  In the meantime, the lack of PCAs is a major financial drain on the family, who must care for her, and ultimately she ends up in the emergency room 1-2 times/month because she can't get her medications.

The fraud and gaming of the system is totally worth it if you'd quit f**king my mom over.  Thank you Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

sounds like you need a better lawyer, Snowguy.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »

My own mother can't even get social security disability, and she is confined either to a bed, an arm chair, or a wheel chair... has use of one arm and almost no use of her legs.  But she has been told she does not qualify as apparently she's not "disabled enough".

The PCA that has worked for her for 7 years has a husband that gets $1200/month because he has a bad back and he works full time seal-coating driveways getting paid under the table so he can continue to get benefits.

You'd better be damned sure your psychological problems interfere with your life to the point that gainful employment is impossible... because from what it sounds like, your family has the resources to support you and help you get the help you need to lead a normal life.

My family has all the moral/emotional/sympathetic support in the world for my mom... but we have no money.  And before the conservatives jump in with "SEE THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN SO WE SHOULD DISMANTLE IT"... every time the GOP starts hacking at budgets with a crow bar, my mom gets kicked off of medicaid and has to go through the process of reapplying.  In the meantime, the lack of PCAs is a major financial drain on the family, who must care for her, and ultimately she ends up in the emergency room 1-2 times/month because she can't get her medications.

The fraud and gaming of the system is totally worth it if you'd quit f**king my mom over.  Thank you Smiley

I strongly applaud this post.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »

Send me a check, and I'll lawyer up.  She's been through the process multiple times.  It doesn't help that she built and owned her own business for most of her working life, taking almost no salary (so while the business paid all sorts of taxes, she did not).. and thus, social security sees to benefit in paying money out to what it determines is a leech, despite her having put everything she had into running a business that employed dozens of people and brought over a half million dollars to the local economy each year.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 09:10:06 PM by shua, gm »

Send me a check, and I'll lawyer up.  She's been through the process multiple times.  It doesn't help that she built and owned her own business for most of her working life, taking almost no salary (so while the business paid all sorts of taxes, she did not).. and thus, social security sees to benefit in paying money out to what it determines is a leech, despite her having put everything she had into running a business that employed dozens of people and brought over a half million dollars to the local economy each year.

This highlights what's so maddeningly stupid about having Social Security and associated benefits set up the way we do.  The entire pretense of earned benefits instead of a functional safety net.  I expect even if Social Security were to survive in some form I won't see a dime - due to a lack of credits in part because of (relatively mild) disability has made it harder at some times to work or find work.
Supposedly a person should be eligible for SSI in cases like this, but they have to be pretty much destitute without savings, property or even help from family. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »

This highlights what's so maddeningly stupid about having Social Security and associated benefits set up the way we do.  The entire pretense of earned benefits instead of a functional safety net.  I expect even if Social Security were to survive in some form I won't see a dime - due to a lack of credits in part because of (relatively mild) disability has made it harder at some times to work or find work.
Supposedly a person should be eligible for SSI in cases like this, but they have to be pretty much destitute without savings, property or even help from family. 
She does indeed get a pittance from SSI.. like $300/month.

I mean, she's not bitter about it.  My step dad has a stable, decent paying job and I work part time taking care of her (and care for her as her son the rest of the time).  She has her SSI and about $100/month in food stamps.  But most importantly, she is covered by Minnesota medical assistance (Medicaid) and also receives in home care by PCAs (Home health aides).  Without the last, she'd be in a nursing home.

But yes, Shua, you are absolutely right.  Social Security is by no means a truly functional safety net.  It is a savings program that guarantees a benefit based on the income you earned during your working life... whether or not we can afford it when you get to retirement.

I'd be open for significant reform if I didn't think having the debate would result in dismantling the program and transferring vast amounts of wealth up to the wealthy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »

My dad gets SSI for a psychiatric disability. Or he did. He's now old enough for regular SS, so I think it just switched over. Not sure exactly how that works. He had a hardcore breakdown several years ago. He completely stopped going to work, leaving his apartment, eating, showering, changing clothes, etc. He smelled awful, had a gross ZZ Top beard, and went from being a serious fat to a very frail old man. He was also convinced that he had cancer because he had lost so much weight. Amazing what happens when you don't eat.  My brother and I had to call the police and have him forcibly removed from his apartment and taken to the local mental hospital because his refusal to thrive was a threat to himself. He's been on several psych meds ever since and is pretty functional. He's returned to his old fat self. He probably could work now, but he's 65 now and completely unskilled, so he's just as entitled to live on the system as every other old person.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies