Two wounded in San Antonio theater shooting thwarted by security guard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:27:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Two wounded in San Antonio theater shooting thwarted by security guard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Two wounded in San Antonio theater shooting thwarted by security guard  (Read 2135 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story/Deputy-shoots-gunman-at-San-Antonio-movie-theater/2wFsix5ntU2CDrsHjXx2kQ.cspx

A man was shot by an off-duty deputy after investigators say he opened fire at a South Side theater Sunday night, injuring one person.

Garcia was finally stopped by an off-duty Bexar County Sheriff's Department officer who was working security at the theater. Officials said the officer, Sgt. Lisa Castellano, heard the gunfire inside the theater and ran towards the sound of the shooting to find out what was going on. Sgt. Castellano spotted Garcia coming out of a bathroom with his gun drawn and fired at him, shooting him four times.

"The officer involved, she took the appropriate action to try to keep everyone safe in the movie theater," Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Detective Lou Antu said.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/13746/20121217/san-antonio-shooting-2-wounded-gunman-opens-fire-movie-theater-santikos-mayan-palace.htm

The suspect was taken to the hospital and was not immediately charged. The extent of the injuries of the two who were injured was not known, but police said they did not sustain life-threatening injuries.

The shooting comes just days after Adam Lanza killed 27 at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown Conn., and is the second movie theater shooting this year. The numerous shootings has many people on edge.

"It brings back memories of the other theater shooting, and the elementary school shooting," Cassandra Castillo, whose son works in the theater, told KENS. "You only think the worst."

Lisa Castellano is a great hero. It turns out that when the perp is shot, he is unable to carry out a rampage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 08:25:36 PM by Former Moderate »

I know you find it hard, but please, please, please for the Love of God and all His Creation, stop being a big nasty meanie, krazen.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »

What about this story bothers you so much?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 08:26:02 PM by Former Moderate »

Stop gosh darn trolling you piece of poopie, it is not appropriate and (worse!) it is not even slightly funny.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »

I would say that your tantrum is kind of funny, though. Congrats.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 08:26:55 PM by Former Moderate »

Stop gosh darn trolling you piece of poopie, it is not appropriate and (worse!) it is not even slightly funny.
It's a news story, you might not like it, you might think it's bad timing, but you don't have to be a giant anus about it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »

Not sure what the intent of this thread is. Does krazen own stock in a security guard staffing company?  Not like anybody is anti security guard.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

Not sure what the intent of this thread is. Does krazen own stock in a security guard staffing company?  Not like anybody is anti security guard.

Really? Then why did the Cinemark theater in Aurora have no security guards and a gun ban, while neighboring theaters allowed its patrons to carry guns and had a greater security force?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »

Not sure what the intent of this thread is.

Trolling.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

Really? Then why did the Cinemark theater in Aurora have no security guards and a gun ban, while neighboring theaters allowed its patrons to carry guns and had a greater security force?

At the risk of getting drawn in, I'll venture to say that the Cinemark in Aurora had no security guards because it's a cheap theater and guards cost money, and had a gun ban because gun bans are good (God forgive me for this pun) security theater.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

It was a very fortunate circumstance that this didn't turn into another mass shooting.  Maybe schools and such need more security guards?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »

The problem is that a security guard who is effective in the rare situation where he is needed, but is not a pompous nuisance, a detriment to your business, and frankly a minor danger to customers is very hard to find and deserves a much higher salary than he is going to get.

All that leaves you with is a vague though not unjustified hope of deterrence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »

Then there's this (from August):

"on Friday two New York City police officers engaged in a wild shootout with disgruntled gunman Jeffrey Johnson minutes after Johnson fatally shot a former co-worker.

dramatic surveillance video released by police Friday night showed the confrontation lasted only a few seconds. Johnson was walking rapidly down the street trailed by two police officers when he stopped, wheeled around and pulled out a gun.

About a dozen people ran for their lives, including two small children who were just feet away from Johnson. He pointed the gun at the officers, who quickly fired at him.

Johnson dropped his briefcase, fell to his knees and then collapsed on the ground.
The bystanders likely were hit by police officers' stray gunfire, some of it bullets that rebounded off planters in front of the skyscraper and grazed pedestrians. The two officers fired 16 shots. The surveillance video shows Johnson pointing his weapon at police, but it's likely he did not get a chance to fire, investigators said."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-24/empire-state-building-shooting/57271890/1

These were trained police officers, yet they still wounded nine bystanders.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »

At the risk of getting drawn in, I'll venture to say that the Cinemark in Aurora had no security guards because it's a cheap theater and guards cost money, and had a gun ban because gun bans are good (God forgive me for this pun) security theater.

Gun bans are good security theater?

Do you consider it a coincidence that Holmes chose the theater with the gun ban rather than one closer to his home or a larger theater with more people in which he could inflict more damage?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

Then there's this (from August):

These were trained police officers, yet they still wounded nine bystanders.

I would think that non fatal collateral damage while bringing the perp down is preferred to the perp going around executing whomever he likes.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

Do you consider it a coincidence that Holmes chose the theater with the gun ban rather than one closer to his home or a larger theater with more people in which he could inflict more damage?

You might want to refer to the definition of security theater:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

Note the conflation of "banning guns" and "not having a security guard on the payroll."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »

God in his mercy may forgive, but I will not. Wink
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Ah. I would think that signs telling James Holmes that Cinemark is a bunch of sitting ducks would be bad security theater, given that James Holmes chose not to comply with those signs.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »

Ah. I would think that signs telling James Holmes that Cinemark is a bunch of sitting ducks would be bad security theater, given that James Holmes chose not to comply with those signs.

And I would think that you wouldn't be a gigantic asshole about this sort of thing a few days after the second deadliest school shooting in American history, but I'd be wrong wouldn't I?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »

Security theater isn't supposed to provide actual security; it just makes boobus Americanus think they are getting security.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

Or maybe -- and this is what sane, responsible people think -- maybe he simply chose the theater he had the most experience visiting. Insane gunmen don't typically commit their crimes in unfamiliar locales. Maybe, when you snap to the point that you're willing to take out your insanity on a school full of innocent young children, you don't have a sane, logical plan.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

It was a very fortunate circumstance that this didn't turn into another mass shooting.  Maybe schools and such need more security guards?

Or maybe the media needs to stop fetishizing these type of killings.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

Or maybe -- and this is what sane, responsible people think -- maybe he simply chose the theater he had the most experience visiting. Insane gunmen don't typically commit their crimes in unfamiliar locales. Maybe, when you snap to the point that you're willing to take out your insanity on a school full of innocent young children, you don't have a sane, logical plan.

Actually most of these mass shootings actually have a high level of planning involved.  This isn't usually somebody simply snapping.  This is usually something they think about for a while and daydream scenarios. Some leave behind the evidence of their plans- Breivik, Cho, Harris/Klebold, Holmes and looks like Lanza had plans but destroyed his electronic trail.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »

Actually most of these mass shootings actually have a high level of planning involved.  This isn't usually somebody simply snapping.  This is usually something they think about for a while and daydream scenarios. Some leave behind the evidence of their plans- Breivik, Cho, Harris/Klebold, Holmes and looks like Lanza had plans but destroyed his electronic trail.

I would argue that the "high level of planning" involved would include or require committing your crime in an area you're already extremely familiar with.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies