MI-PPP: Snyder (R) gone in 2014 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:10:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-PPP: Snyder (R) gone in 2014 ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI-PPP: Snyder (R) gone in 2014 ?  (Read 3012 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »

Do you approve or disapprove of Governor Rick Snyder’s job performance?

Approve .......................................................... 38%
Disapprove...................................................... 56%

Virg Bernero.................................................... 49%
Rick Snyder .................................................... 38%

Gary Peters..................................................... 47%
Rick Snyder .................................................... 39%

Mark Schauer ................................................. 44%
Rick Snyder .................................................... 39%

Gretchen Whitmer........................................... 46%
Rick Snyder .................................................... 38%

PPP surveyed 650 Michigan voters from December 13th to 16th. The margin of error is +/- 3.8 percentage points. This poll was not paid for or authorized by any campaign or political organization. PPP surveys are conducted through automated telephone interviews.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_MI_1218.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »

I'd love to see a Democratic Governor called Gretchen ... Wink

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »

Trust me, Snyder won't run again.  Bill Schuette will win in 2014.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »

Ah, Gretchen Whitmer might run? Cheesy
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »

Trust me, Snyder won't run again.  Bill Schuette will win in 2014.

Yeah I'm not sure if Snyder will run. there has been speculation that he will only serve one term since he was elected.

Although according to this article he plans on running. but of course he could change his mind.
http://www.michiganradio.org/post/governor-snyder-lays-rest-one-term-and-out-speculation

His approval ratings were quite low earlier in his term but he rebounded. But the reason they were low were do to having to make hard choices due to a huge deficit. Any governor would have had bad ratings. The drop now is due to the Right to Work and will be harder to come back from. There is still 2 years left though, we will have to see what happens. If Gary Peters runs I think Snyder will lose but against the others he may have a chance. Hopefully for him Peters runs for Senate. Also according to the same poll Right to work is opposed but only 51% oppose to 41 who support I would have though more would oppose. That is not much of a majority.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »

I still don't think he will run again.  But if he does, please pardon me while I puke.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »

Bill DeVos? L. Brooks Patterson?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »

I still don't think he will run again.  But if he does, please pardon me while I puke.

Most governors do have the power to pardon.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Having my County Commissioner become Governor would be pretty awesome. Especially since from what I hear my county's pretty well off fiscally.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »

I think Snyder understands that he's a one-term governor, which is why he's taken a turn to the right. Busting unions isn't exactly the kind of thing that's going to get a dude re-elected in Michigan.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:47 AM »

...Loses to a one-term Congressional Representative who lost in the Tea Bag election of 2010 to an infamous mediocrity that he had defeated in 2008.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »

Those numbers for Bernero are way too high... honestly, he'd probably lose in a rematch with Snyder.

I don't think Peters has any interest in running, and Schauer doesn't have the name recognition to do it.

Whitmer would be a good candidate.

Brooks Patterson is a great county exec, but he's got way too much baggage to run for anything outside of Oakland County.

There's been talk that Fieger will run again.  If the Democrats let that happen, I could see that marking the end of Mark Brewer.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »

Those numbers for Bernero are way too high... honestly, he'd probably lose in a rematch with Snyder.

I don't think Peters has any interest in running, and Schauer doesn't have the name recognition to do it.

Brooks Patterson is a great county exec, but he's got way too much baggage to run for anything outside of Oakland County.

There's been talk that Fieger will run again.  If the Democrats let that happen, I could see that marking the end of Mark Brewer.

This.

There's no way Bernero makes it through the primary, unless he's being put up as a sacrificial lamb. I can't imagine a scenario where Brooks gives up his current position--too much power, and health issues add to it. My guess is that Gary Peters is looking to take Carl Levin's seat one day, and as odd as it sounds, it seems like the Governorship would hinder that ambition.

In an open race, or if Snyder runs again and his approvals are still in the dumps, Whitmer has a very real shot at winning. I wonder if it helps that she was named the Eighth Hottest Politician in the World: http://www.maxim.com/tv/the-worlds-hottest-politicians
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2012, 04:51:24 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Trust me, Snyder won't run again.  Bill Schuette will win in 2014.

Yeah I'm not sure if Snyder will run. there has been speculation that he will only serve one term since he was elected.

Although according to this article he plans on running. but of course he could change his mind.
http://www.michiganradio.org/post/governor-snyder-lays-rest-one-term-and-out-speculation

His approval ratings were quite low earlier in his term but he rebounded. But the reason they were low were do to having to make hard choices due to a huge deficit. Any governor would have had bad ratings. The drop now is due to the Right to Work and will be harder to come back from. There is still 2 years left though, we will have to see what happens. If Gary Peters runs I think Snyder will lose but against the others he may have a chance. Hopefully for him Peters runs for Senate. Also according to the same poll Right to work is opposed but only 51% oppose to 41 who support I would have though more would oppose. That is not much of a majority.

That article is over a year old, and so it doesn't take into account all the things that have happened since then.  

There's been talk that Fieger will run again.  If the Democrats let that happen, I could see that marking the end of Mark Brewer.
Inks, I disagree.  Although it is a PPP poll (and thus is heavily biased toward Dems), Bernero would probably win because he's considered more pro-union.  But I don't think that Snyder's running, at least if he understands what's best for the GOP and the state.  If Bill Schuette wants to be Governor as badly as I hear he does, then he will probably run in 2014 (rather than wait until 2018) regardless of what Snyder does.  I would certainly vote for Schuette over Snyder in a GOP primary.  And I really don't want Gretchen Whitmer to run; I think she's just being pushed by Democrats to run and the hype surrounding her running is probably higher than the actual chance of her doing it.  She's kind of like a liberal equivalent of Sarah Palin because she draws attention and fires up the base, but she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would run for much higher office.  But maybe I'm overly optimistic here.
As for Mark Brewer, he is one of the most disgusting, vile scumbags that Michigan Democrats have ever had.  I'm not sure I want him to go, because I like having him as a punching bag.  
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »

That article is over a year old, and so it doesn't take into account all the things that have happened since then.  

There's been talk that Fieger will run again.  If the Democrats let that happen, I could see that marking the end of Mark Brewer.
Inks, I disagree. Although it is a PPP poll (and thus is heavily biased toward Dems), Bernero would probably win because he's considered more pro-union.  But I don't think that Snyder's running, at least if he understands what's best for the GOP and the state.  If Bill Schuette wants to be Governor as badly as I hear he does, then he will probably run in 2014 (rather than wait until 2018) regardless of what Snyder does.  I would certainly vote for Schuette over Snyder in a GOP primary.  And I really don't want Gretchen Whitmer to run; I think she's just being pushed by Democrats to run and the hype surrounding her running is probably higher than the actual chance of her doing it.  She's kind of like a liberal equivalent of Sarah Palin because she draws attention and fires up the base, but she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would run for much higher office.  But maybe I'm overly optimistic here.
As for Mark Brewer, he is one of the most disgusting, vile scumbags that Michigan Democrats have ever had.  I'm not sure I want him to go, because I like having him as a punching bag.  

LoL
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

Inks, I disagree. Although it is a PPP poll (and thus is heavily biased toward Dems), Bernero would probably win because he's considered more pro-union.  But I don't think that Snyder's running, at least if he understands what's best for the GOP and the state.  If Bill Schuette wants to be Governor as badly as I hear he does, then he will probably run in 2014 (rather than wait until 2018) regardless of what Snyder does.  I would certainly vote for Schuette over Snyder in a GOP primary.  And I really don't want Gretchen Whitmer to run; I think she's just being pushed by Democrats to run and the hype surrounding her running is probably higher than the actual chance of her doing it.  She's kind of like a liberal equivalent of Sarah Palin because she draws attention and fires up the base, but she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would run for much higher office.  But maybe I'm overly optimistic here.

LoL
What's so funny about that?  In late spring/early summer of this year, PPP had polls that showed Obama leading Romney by about double digits in Colorado and Virginia.  Say what you will about those states, but there is no way Obama was ever that far ahead there.  They may have been the most accurate at the end, but they were way out in left field (literally) before then.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

How can a guy who was elected with almost 60% of the vote have lost so much support in two years? I mean, if he won by a hair then it would be more plausible. But he's lost support from 20% of the electorate. I hope this isn't a naive question. What's happened in Michigan in two years? Is it just that MI is a very elastic state?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »

How can a guy who was elected with almost 60% of the vote have lost so much support in two years? I mean, if he won by a hair then it would be more plausible. But he's lost support from 20% of the electorate. I hope this isn't a naive question. What's happened in Michigan in two years? Is it just that MI is a very elastic state?

Granholm left office with a 29/63 approval rating.

I think that helped to inflate Snyder's margin a bit.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »

Easy D pick-up.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

Easy D pickup if Snyder runs without primary opposition, lean R hold with Bill Schuette, toss-up with another Republican.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »

That Americans use that name is one of the most hilarious things ever. How do they pronounce it, though?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

LoL
What's so funny about that?  In late spring/early summer of this year, PPP had polls that showed Obama leading Romney by about double digits in Colorado and Virginia.  Say what you will about those states, but there is no way Obama was ever that far ahead there.  They may have been the most accurate at the end, but they were way out in left field (literally) before then.

By double digits in VA? I don't recall that. Not sure about Colorado, but it's probably true that he was leading by that much before the Ryan pick. Remember he carried Colorado by 5.5 points and won by 4 nationally. If Obama was ahead by 6-8 in the summer, his margin in Colorado was something between 7.5 and 9.5 points. A 10-point lead (and I'm not sure PPP had a poll showing him ahead by double digits) was not that unaccurate Wink The same about VA.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »

That Americans use that name is one of the most hilarious things ever. How do they pronounce it, though?

Like in the German word "grätschen" (straddle) maybe ?

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »

['gɻɛ.tʃɪn] - "greh" like in "regret", "chin" like the word, stress on the first syllable.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »

I'd love to see a Democratic Governor called Gretchen ... Wink

She's hot. But, Snyder seems to be doing a good job.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies