What is your take on this comment regarding the Republican primary in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:44:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What is your take on this comment regarding the Republican primary in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is your take on this comment regarding the Republican primary in 2008?  (Read 4770 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 11:18:09 PM »

Frist needs to content himself to running for Gov of TN.  He isn't presidential material.
Agreed. Not that I want him to be gov though.

Off topic but I'm interested in your take on the Senate race- who do you think the GOP nom for Frist's seat will be?

As a Dem, I like Harold Ford, but I think his uncle has just killed his chances. Kurita doesn't do much for me. On the GOP side, I don't really like any of them. Corker seems the least die hard partisan, but I'm betting Blackburn surprises the conventional wisdom.
Notre Dame rules!

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 11:58:26 PM »

Ford is very, very bright.  Having talked to him on several occasions, I can testify that he is also a very likable guy, unlike his father and his uncle.  It is his family  connections that will most hurt him in any race for the Senate.  Outside of Memphis, his family name is far more of a hindrance than a help. 

Ford's chances would be substantially better if he ran as a Republican.

Personally, I'd like to see former Congressman Ed Bryant win the seat.  I campaigned for Bryant in his primary run against Lamar Alexander, and would be very willing to do so again. 
Snowe08
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »

I think that it's something of an overstatement; while there's certainly truth that those two primaries in particular are important to gaining momentum and public perception of success, candidates can and have survived defeats in Iowa and New Hampshire. Of course, since I'm backing a New Englander, I'd really like for it to be true that New Hampshire calls the election, but it just doesn't seem supportable with the evidence available from previous elections, and in terms of 2008, the wider the primary field, in terms of the candidates' ideological dispositions and geographical origins, the less relevance any one state primary will hold, I suspect.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies