Census population estimates 2011-2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:48:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census population estimates 2011-2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census population estimates 2011-2019  (Read 181191 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 18, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »

Here is a map of change (I think 17 - 18) at the county level.

discuss with maps
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »

Sometimes, you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, the bear, he eats you.

(copyright Universal Pictures, source indiewire)

Really surprised at VA being below average considering the Amazon HQ2 decision in late 2018. Of course, it could be statistical noise - @cinyc do you have at hand the VA growth estimates and the national estimates?

I'm also kinda surprised at the low growth in the last decade in Alabama. I'd love to see a county-level breakdown there. I was under the impression that Madison/Huntsville is exploding and, although I guess the Recession was tough on Birmingham, when I visited I got the impression it was experiencing some growth. Maybe being so close to Atlanta is sucking away a lot of talent.

peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »

I would be shocked if OH didn't lose a congressional seat this cycle. Also, I think VA might actually gain another electoral vote, as NOVA is historically undercounted, but it'll be a close call.

It would have to be a massive several 100K undercount for VA to gain.  VA actually fell below nationwide growth in the second half of the decade.  

Wow that's actually suprising, I wonder why that was, I thought VA was growing faster than the rest of the country overall, while the NE and Rust Belt were shrinking.

VA is experiencing growth along the I-95 corridor but Appalachia and the Southside are shrinking. There are still a lot of rural areas of the state; anywhere more than an hour outside of a metro area (Richmond, Roanoke, Charlottesville, Hampton Roads) is not attracting enough people to compensate for brain drain.

Looking at decline in SWVA I bet VA-09 is drawn to include Roanoke. Wouldn't make the seat competitive in a normal year but maybe this would be vulnerable in a D-wave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies