Wayne LaPierre's complete presser meltdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wayne LaPierre's complete presser meltdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Wayne LaPierre's complete presser meltdown  (Read 6003 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »

What has doubled? Contrary to what London Man believes, as he is a typical extremely ignorant leftist, it's not the number of students.

It's the number of staff.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577465413553320588.html

Since 1970, the public school workforce has roughly doubled—to 6.4 million from 3.3 million—and two-thirds of those new hires are teachers or teachers' aides. Over the same period, enrollment rose by a tepid 8.5%. Employment has thus grown 11 times faster than enrollment. If we returned to the student-to-staff ratio of 1970, American taxpayers would save about $210 billion annually in personnel costs.

Why aren't we firing teachers?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

Of course we do have 1.3 million more teachers making enormous profits.

Workers don't make 'profits', krazen, they receive wages or salaries.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

The only teachers that should be fired are the ones who "taught" krazen (if, of course, they are still working).

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 02:37:59 PM by Nathan »

Stats please? I also would like numbers of children in public schools as America's population has doubled since 1970.

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d09/tables/dt09_064.asp

Enrollment 1970: 45,894
Enrollment 2012: 50,767

Teachers make an incredibly paltry amount of money relative to the intrinsic value of the work they do, you disingenuous hoplophile. You know what does turn 'enormous profits' out of proportion to the good paid to society? The private security industry.

Then again, it's eminently understandable that you'd think the people who taught you should be fired in favor of hiring armed men to be around small children.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »

You know what does turn 'enormous profits' out of proportion to the good paid to society? The private security industry.

"But they're not the taxpayer's dole!"

(actually, they often are, but don't tell krazen that).
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »

Radical lefties in the 60s and 70s made liberal a bad word. And "card carrying member of ACLU" an attack line.

Will this kind of out of touch gun radicalsm and defending easy access to assault weapons turn "card carrying member of the NRA" become an attack now? Is defending Bushmaster AR15s the new 'legitimate rape'?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

'G4S' used to be one of those logos I saw everywhere and which meant nothing to me. Now, when I see it, I laugh and pity whoever hired them.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

I wonder what laPierre and krazy's base would think about the tax increases nescessary to put armed guards in every elementary school.

Hahahaha. No, no, no. We already know that Republican voters wouldn't go for tax hikes to pay for more guns in schools. Why not just cut essentials to find the money? Who needs this silly "SCI-INCE" class thing when God just makes everything?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

I wonder what laPierre and krazy's base would think about the tax increases nescessary to put armed guards in every elementary school.

Hmm? There wouldn't have to be any tax increases. Just fire some teachers.

You can't be serious.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »

Stats please? I also would like numbers of children in public schools as America's population has doubled since 1970.

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

Teachers make an incredibly paltry amount of money relative to the intrinsic value of the work they do, you disingenuous hoplophile. You know what does turn 'enormous profits' out of proportion to the good paid to society? The private security industry.

Then again, it's eminently understandable that you'd think the people who taught you should be fired in favor of hiring armed men to be around small children.

Hmm?

No.

They make far over $300 billion.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »

Not these workers. Despite a massive decline in student enrollment between 1970 and 1990, somehow teachers unions were able to swell their legions.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »

Radical lefties in the 60s and 70s made liberal a bad word. And "card carrying member of ACLU" an attack line.

Will this kind of out of touch gun radicalsm and defending easy access to assault weapons turn "card carrying member of the NRA" become an attack now? Is defending Bushmaster AR15s the new 'legitimate rape'?

The Bushmaster AR15 is not an assault weapon.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

Not these workers. Despite a massive decline in student enrollment between 1970 and 1990, somehow teachers unions were able to swell their legions.

That's not relevant - profits are a privilege of capital, krazen - the ones actually robbing us.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 04:25:37 PM by Mideast Assemblyman Mr. X »

Krazen: The Early Years:

"Mom, check that there aren't any teachers hiding in the closet" Little Krazen did shout/
Just before the lights went out.  
There were no teachers hiding in the closet that night/
Or even any other night
But little Krazen still couldn't sleep/
He was too scared to make even a peep.  
Tomorrow was his first day of school and if there was school there were sure to be teachers/
Truly the most vile of all God's creatures.  
Little Krazen was a clever lad/
He knew the truth about the evil that all teachers do and society's ignorance of it made him quite sad.  They don't hit kids nor do they scream and shout/
But they didn't fool little Krazen, no, he knew what they were all about.  
Teachers live the high life in apartments with $50,000 per-year pay instead of in a box by a gutter/
Thought Little Krazen with a shudder.  
Little Krazen was smart as a tack/
Much too smart for any union thugs that the teachers might send to attack.
Day after day in the classroom he would sit silently and despair/
While the teachers got paid, isn't life most unfair?
Years later Pre-Teen Krazen would find/
An internet forum on which to vent and unwind.
"The union thug wouldn't think of checking my posts, cause he's just a dumb jerk"/
Thought Pre-Teen Krazen with a smirk.
And that is how Krazen1211 came to be/
Attempts to reason with him about teachers are futile, don't you see?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 04:39:32 PM by Nathan »

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

Hmm?

No.

At forty to eighty thousand each, most closer to the lower end? In that case there would mathematically have to be far more than your National Center for Education Statistics numbers indicate. Oh no! They're spreading! Quick, we must hire armed guards! 速く!!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »

I only hope that the the days of NRA as it currently exists are numbered. I feel that people should have every right to keep a pistol in the night table, but these hard core gun nuts are really living in an '80s era action movie. It's just not reality.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 05:17:32 PM by Runeghost »

While LaPierre didn't do himself, the NRA, or the causes they ostensibly support any favors with his "press conference", I find it interesting that I've seen little criticism of Sen. Boxer's new Save Our School's Act. (Which is different from the 2009 House bill of the same name.) The Senator proposes allowing (and encouraging via federal reimbursement) state Governors to deploy National Guard soldiers for police work, freeing up police to stand guard outside of schools.

http://www.kqed.org/news/story/2012/12/20/113044/boxer_pushing_school_safety_measures?category=bay+area

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see much difference between Boxer's "use the Guard to free up police to stand guard at schools" and LaPierre's "put armed police officers in every single school".

Edited to correct my quote of LaPierre.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

Hmm?

No.

At forty to eighty thousand each, most closer to the lower end? In that case there would mathematically have to be far more than your National Center for Education Statistics numbers indicate. Oh no! They're spreading! Quick, we must hire armed guards! 速く!!

40-80,000 is not an accurate measure of the average teacher compensation in these United States in the year 2012.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

Hmm?

No.

40-80,000 is not an accurate measure of the average teacher compensation in these United States in the year 2012.

Accurate or not, it's every interested party's but yours.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

It's funny. We spare no expense occupying foreign nations and acquiring the best weapons to kill each other.

Putting armed guards in schools? Too expensive and barbaric.

And yet, it's perfectly fine to have a drone drop a missile on an Afghani village and incinerate everyone who gets in our way.

I don't get our country anymore.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »

Of course it's barbaric; it's a place of education and a place for kids to be kids.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »

Of course it's barbaric; it's a place of education and a place for kids to be kids.

We really need to discuss arming the kids. I mean, what would be more effective than 25 good pupils with guns to fight 1 bad guy with a gun? I just don't get America...why don't they take such a common sense measure?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

Krazen: The Early Years:

"Mom, check that there aren't any teachers hiding in the closet" Little Krazen did shout/
Just before the lights went out. 
There were no teachers hiding in the closet that night/
Or even any other night
But little Krazen still couldn't sleep/
He was too scared to make even a peep. 
Tomorrow was his first day of school and if there was school there were sure to be teachers/
Truly the most vile of all God's creatures. 
Little Krazen was a clever lad/
He knew the truth about the evil that all teachers do and society's ignorance of it made him quite sad.  They don't hit kids nor do they scream and shout/
But they didn't fool little Krazen, no, he knew what they were all about. 
Teachers live the high life in apartments with $50,000 per-year pay instead of in a box by a gutter/
Thought Little Krazen with a shudder. 
Little Krazen was smart as a tack/
Much too smart for any union thugs that the teachers might send to attack.
Day after day in the classroom he would sit silently and despair/
While the teachers got paid, isn't life most unfair?
Years later Pre-Teen Krazen would find/
An internet forum on which to vent and unwind.
"The union thug wouldn't think of checking my posts, cause he's just a dumb jerk"/
Thought Pre-Teen Krazen with a smirk.
And that is how Krazen1211 came to be/
Attempts to reason with him about teachers are futile, don't you see?
You win.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »

It's funny. We spare no expense occupying foreign nations and acquiring the best weapons to kill each other.

And yet, it's perfectly fine to have a drone drop a missile on an Afghani village and incinerate everyone who gets in our way.

I don't get our country anymore.

False equivalency, but I agree with the concept you're arguing. Getting the US to tone down war-lust is as easy as telling them they really don't need as many guns as people.

Boxer's Bill isn't getting the same attention because it isn't an alternative to gun control, unlike the NRA's.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »

False equivalency, but I agree with the concept you're arguing. Getting the US to tone down war-lust is as easy as telling them they really don't need as many guns as people.

Boxer's Bill isn't getting the same attention because it isn't an alternative to gun control, unlike the NRA's.

I think Cenk Uygur said it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLqm3eDYMg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies