For our religiously conservative brethren....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For our religiously conservative brethren....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: For our religiously conservative brethren....  (Read 9451 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »

OK, looks like a I messed up a bit with chronology. Anyways persecutions between Christians obviously don't count, and while some communist regimes have tried to eradicate faith I don't think this has concerned the "western world".

Anyways, maybe I was excessively absolute in my comment, but overall I don't see christianity in itself being much persecuted in the last, say, 1500 years.

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

You mean people are getting bullied or harassed for being christians in canadian schools ? While the atmosphere might not be perfect, I strongly doubt it.
DreamTheater
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »

I definitely don't think homosexuality is a choice, however, it is equally absurd to think it is caused by a gene, because I'm pretty sure a "gay" gene would die out rather quickly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

I definitely don't think homosexuality is a choice, however, it is equally absurd to think it is caused by a gene, because I'm pretty sure a "gay" gene would die out rather quickly.

I have no idea whether there is a gay gene or not, but the concept is hardly absurd.  There are any number of genes for which having one copy is beneficial while having two has a baneful effect.  For example, if one takes the stereotypes of being gay as being correlated with greater creativity, compassion, etc. as true, then gays would improve the chances that their non-gay siblings (who would have a 2 in 3 chance of carrying a recessive gay gene if there be such a thing) are able to have offspring who reproduce successfully.

So in other words, gays could be like worker ants and bees.  They wouldn't have descendents of their own, but help their close relatives to have them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »

I don't buy the argument that homosexuality is entirely genetic, but this logic doesn't really track -- there are plenty of fatal genetic diseases that survive in the genepool.  Even if homosexuality were relegated to one gene, things would be a lot more complicated than just "gay gene->automatically gay->no reproduction."  Each of those stages is inaccurate.  And, even if homosexuality is purely genetic, it would be unlikely to involve only one gene, making your claim against homosexuality being purely genetic even weaker.  (Again, I don't think it is purely genetic; my point is just about genetics.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »

I don't buy the argument that homosexuality is entirely genetic, but this logic doesn't really track -- there are plenty of fatal genetic diseases that survive in the genepool.  Even if homosexuality were relegated to one gene, things would be a lot more complicated than just "gay gene->automatically gay->no reproduction."  Each of those stages is inaccurate.  And, even if homosexuality is purely genetic, it would be unlikely to involve only one gene, making your claim against homosexuality being purely genetic even weaker.  (Again, I don't think it is purely genetic; my point is just about genetics.)
Obviously it's a complicated issue.  The one thing I can say for certain myself, is that it was not a choice.  Given the anxiety and trouble my sexuality has caused me growing up, had I had a choice, I would have chosen otherwise.

But it wasn't my choice.  I am emotionally, romantically, and physically attracted to men.  But it's probably not the same as a woman's attraction to men, either.  Because I am still a man.  So it is different.

The claim that homosexuality is genetic is probably only a part of the equation, at best.  It seems more logical that there is a critical time during pregnancy in which sexuality is "wired" into the brain.  This probably provides a basis for heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, and the various other sexualities. 

Beyond this, it is probably environmental and cultural.  I don't think it'd be inappropriate to assume that there are people out there that might naturally be bisexual, but come to prefer one gender over the other through environmental and cultural factors.  Many might feel pressured to suppress their homosexual desires and thus only seek out heterosexual relationships (which they find fulfilling because they are also attracted to the opposite sex).

There just seems to be a lot of gray area.

But again, the only thing I can say for certain, at least for myself, is.. by the time I became aware of my sexuality at all, I knew I was attracted to guys.  It's not as if I started getting off to boobies and then decided "let's corrupt guys instead!!!"

And to Tj:  The Catholic church is not infallible.  There are numerous priests/monks who vehemently disagree with the official positions of the church regarding homosexuality and want to see the policies changed.  And they don't believe this because they are corrupt.  They believe this because they believe the church's interpretation of the Bible regarding the issue is wrong and needs to be revisited.  A church can be grounded in tradition and still evolve.  And the church can be flat out wrong as well.

Please don't have children until you can accept them for who they are.  By interfering with something as base as their sexuality in the way you suggested earlier in this thread, you are causing major psychological harm.  You don't have to like the behavior, but you do have to love your child and you do have to try and understand them.  That is just common sense.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.

In my current state there's a teenage girl still getting death threats for asking her high school to remove a prayer mural that technically was illegal. That's how crazy a lot of americans take their religion. Mind you again, again I'm very right wing and could support your "Christian Heritage" party even from the looks of it. But it's a different ballgame over here.

I assume you mean right wing in the non-egalitarian sense rather than the economic sense?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »

OK, looks like a I messed up a bit with chronology. Anyways persecutions between Christians obviously don't count, and while some communist regimes have tried to eradicate faith I don't think this has concerned the "western world".

Anyways, maybe I was excessively absolute in my comment, but overall I don't see christianity in itself being much persecuted in the last, say, 1500 years.

You mean people are getting bullied or harassed for being christians in canadian schools ? While the atmosphere might not be perfect, I strongly doubt it.

There's nothing systematic, but conservative Christians do tend to get bullied in Canadian public schools. I was never part of Christian Fellowship at my school, but I recall some jocks were disciplined for egging one of the meetings.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »

There's nothing systematic, but conservative Christians do tend to get bullied in Canadian public schools. I was never part of Christian Fellowship at my school, but I recall some jocks were disciplined for egging one of the meetings.

Yeah I'm definitely calling BS on that one.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »

I think it is more likely that any 'harassment' is due to conservatism, not the fact that they are simply Christian. I know exactly the type from experience; people who say outrageous things about the position of women and LGBT students and yet cry foul when they are called out on it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »

Smells like BS. I went to a Canadian school too, which was full of non Christians, and I don't recall any anti-Christian activities.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »

Smells like BS. I went to a Canadian school too, which was full of non Christians, and I don't recall any anti-Christian activities.

Hatman, it wasn't systematic. It was just two guys thinking "lets pick on the weird kids" and they threw a couple eggs. It was harassment, but it certainly wasn't "anti-Christian activities" like you are calling it.

As I have said before. There isn't any systematic issues with Christians in public schools, any more than there is systematic issues with the D&D kids. They just get picked on now and again.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »

As I have said before. There isn't any systematic issues with Christians in public schools, any more than there is systematic issues with the D&D kids. They just get picked on now and again.

And sometimes they are the ones who pick on others.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

And sometimes they are the ones who pick on others.

They were bigger dicks than the aggies and jocks when  I was in High School and people wonder why a lot of people hate Democrats.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

Hatman, it wasn't systematic. It was just two guys thinking "lets pick on the weird kids" and they threw a couple eggs. It was harassment, but it certainly wasn't "anti-Christian activities" like you are calling it.

Your exact quote was "conservative Christians do tend to get bullied in Canadian public schools"

There is absolutely no way that conservative Christians, who number in the millions in Canada, tend to be bullied.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »

There is absolutely no way that conservative Christians, who number in the millions in Canada, tend to be bullied.

There are only about 5 million Canadians of school age period.
How small does a group have to be in order to be bullied in Canadian schools? 

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »

"Conservative Christians" include some of the most vile, two-faced, mean-spirited, and narcissistic people around. In fact, based on both my personal experiences and the experiences of many  I have known, those people are disproportionately represented among conservative Christians.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.

Yes, Mississauga does suck. Luckily we can all choose to pretend it doesn't exist. Then it can't hurt us.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies