Most painful 2008 ==> 2012 map for you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most painful 2008 ==> 2012 map for you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most painful 2008 ==> 2012 map for you  (Read 5445 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

Wisconsin.  Look at all that red vanish!  : (
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:00:26 AM »

WV. I felt like some counties that held out in 2008, like Braxton and Webster, should never be lost by a Democrat.

I remember first looking at the WV results on election night and being pretty shocked. I knew Obama would slip, but I wasn't expecting an all-county shutout.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »

probably the house races in Arkansas.  I just couldn't believe how bad the democrats fared.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2012, 03:42:06 PM by Senator Snowstalker »

WV. I felt like some counties that held out in 2008, like Braxton and Webster, should never be lost by a Democrat.

I remember first looking at the WV results on election night and being pretty shocked. I knew Obama would slip, but I wasn't expecting an all-county shutout.

The first clue of that was Kentucky; counties that went >60% Kerry were showing as >70% Romney. He nearly even won Elliott! Sad

I guess I was disappointed in PA; the GOP's gerrymandering worked really well in the House races (suburban Philly's been sliced into an unholy abomination), and thanks to Romney's last-minute money dump and Obama mostly ignoring the state, it was closer than it should have been.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »

North Carolina's gubernatorial election.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »

I think this is more for President, but I agree.

It was inexcusable that McCrory won Columbus and Richmond Counties. The damage along the eatsern coast was especially brutal (given Perdue's unique 2008 strength there). Onslow County went from 50-46 Perdue to 65-33 McCrory. Ouch.

The worse part, IMO, was that his coattails pulled Forrest past the finish line.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »

North Georgia for me haha. These days it's pretty much the reason why Georgia is a red state. If Obama could have performed there as well as he did in Western NC, he would have come closer to winning the state.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »

It was inexcusable that McCrory won Columbus and Richmond Counties. The damage along the eatsern coast was especially brutal (given Perdue's unique 2008 strength there). Onslow County went from 50-46 Perdue to 65-33 McCrory. Ouch.

The worse part, IMO, was that his coattails pulled Forrest past the finish line.
It's more depressing for me because:
      -Obama won in the end, whereas Dalton didn't;
      -McCrory will probably end up being a rubber stamp for the tea party General Assembly
      -McCrory has appointed Art Pope as the budget writer!!!
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

-McCrory will probably end up being a rubber stamp for the tea party General Assembly
I live in NJ not NC but I saw the debate between McCrory and Dalton on C-Span. McCrory seems sort of moderate. You seem to think he will be Rick Snyder 2.0 though. There is no way McCrory is as right wing as Rick Scott though in my opinion.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »

I live in NJ not NC but I saw the debate between McCrory and Dalton on C-Span. McCrory seems sort of moderate. You seem to think he will be Rick Snyder 2.0 though. There is no way McCrory is as right wing as Rick Scott though in my opinion.
McCrory doesn't really have a choice. The General Assembly is super-far-right, and they're likely  to pass legislation that advances their agenda. McCrory will probably be forced to sign any piece of wacky legislation, especially as the Republicans have a veto-proof supermajority.

Furthermore, McCrory might not be as moderate as you think. He has appointed Art Pope as Deputy Budget Writer, after all.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »

Missouri. Seeing long-time swing states go firmly into one column is always sorta sad, but usually the Dems benefit from that due to population movement patterns.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

The congressional district lines in suburban Philadelphia.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »

Is it sad that as a Democrat I'm upset that the GOP can't manage to run a caucus properly?
Iowa, Maine both "finding" delegates and votes for Romney(Maine) or not being able to count the votes(Iowa)... makes wonder if the 2012 GOP race was rigged...
timothyinMD

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »

Is it sad that as a Democrat I'm upset that the GOP can't manage to run a caucus properly?
Iowa, Maine both "finding" delegates and votes for Romney(Maine) or not being able to count the votes(Iowa)... makes wonder if the 2012 GOP race was rigged...

Coming from someone whose state couldn't count 400,000 votes until 8 weeks after the election?  That makes me wonder...
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »

McCrory doesn't really have a choice. The General Assembly is super-far-right, and they're likely  to pass legislation that advances their agenda. McCrory will probably be forced to sign any piece of wacky legislation, especially as the Republicans have a veto-proof supermajority.

Furthermore, McCrory might not be as moderate as you think. He has appointed Art Pope as Deputy Budget Writer, after all.
Nah, I was thinking McCrory could rein in the far right wingers in in the state legislature idealogically. McCrory was the Mayor Of Charlotte for a good amount of time so he does have alot of political experience unlike Scott and Snyder. I do think McCrory maybe wants to be VP or a US Senator sometime so I have a moderate amount of hope that he won't follow the far right wing loons in the state legislature.

I have no idea about Art Pope's political background.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Well, Pope was and is the man behind an enormous conservative ad machine, not unlike the Koch Brothers.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »

I'm sad to see Berclair, the most overwhelmingly working class white neighborhood in Memphis remain Republican, even with the infusion of many Mexicans. It is, however, the least GOP white neighborhood outside of the "metro" areas in Midtown and Downtown.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

It is INEXCUSABLE that GARLAND BARR IV of all people won that congressional seat in Kentucky.

Count on him being a one-termer.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

2014 seems to be shaping up to at least tilt Republican...who do you think will challenge him?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »

2014 seems to be shaping up to at least tilt Republican...who do you think will challenge him?

Not Ben Chandler, because I think his electoral viability was overstated in the past.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »

It is INEXCUSABLE that GARLAND BARR IV of all people won that congressional seat in Kentucky.

How much must it hurt that several >60% Kerry/Gore counties gave Obama less than 30% of the vote?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »

How much must it hurt that several >60% Kerry/Gore counties gave Obama less than 30% of the vote?

It ain't good, but at least those are shrinking counties.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »

Why did Elliott in particular hold for Obama? Is it particularly poor, or is there a presence of non-Blue Dog Democrats?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »

Why did Elliott in particular hold for Obama? Is it particularly poor, or is there a presence of non-Blue Dog Democrats?

It's actually the only rural county in the area that's rapidly growing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »

I have many, MANY painful results and maps, but maybe the governor's race in New Hampshire.  It was an open seat and closer than the 2010 race, yet Lamontagne managed to lose every county in the state, something the previous GOP nominee avoided.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies