Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:53:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34259 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »

Some of the polarities here meet in the middle...

Comments, anyone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

Gloriously appropriately middleish.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

Outliers only to the downward, I see. Makes sense, I suppose.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »

For a week I couldn't log on... These will probably be the last maps for a while anyway...

This uses ESRI/CSO data and uses the official unemployment rate (or rather 'live register' rate which is what the media reports as unemployment). They speak for themselves... Unfortunately, this data was only available at level of those ridiculous and arbitrary regions (Louth with Donegal, seriously?) but anyway...

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »

Just to keep the thread alive somewhat...

I remember a while back on this forum we had a discussion on which regions here would vote for which UK parties in the magical event (yes, Niall Ferguson, a unicorn is more likely to fly by your house while copulating with Shergar than this has of ever, ever happening) of Ireland being part of the UK and having the same parties (ha!). Obviously political cultures, etc are different (to say the least) but anyone willing to speculate... I would say the same for the US except that would be too obvious...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »

I remember a while back on this forum we had a discussion on which regions here would vote for which UK parties in the magical event (yes, Niall Ferguson, a unicorn is more likely to fly by your house while copulating with Shergar than this has of ever, ever happening) of Ireland being part of the UK and having the same parties (ha!). Obviously political cultures, etc are different (to say the least) but anyone willing to speculate... I would say the same for the US except that would be too obvious...

Er... everywhere but bits of South Dublin voting "not Tory"? Wink

Interesting to know that the more I find out about Niall Ferguson the more of a bizzaro alternate-universe BRTD he becomes. Did you know he's married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali? There are no words.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »

Interesting to know that the more I find out about Niall Ferguson the more of a bizzaro alternate-universe BRTD he becomes. Did you know he's married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali? There are no words.

... and possibly West Cork, yes.

Actually, I did not know that, I am... amazed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »

For a week I couldn't log on... These will probably be the last maps for a while anyway...

Which seems like a good excuse to write (again) that these maps are things of goodness or something.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2013, 02:23:34 AM »

This uses ESRI/CSO data and uses the official unemployment rate (or rather 'live register' rate which is what the media reports as unemployment). They speak for themselves... Unfortunately, this data was only available at level of those ridiculous and arbitrary regions (Louth with Donegal, seriously?) but anyway...

These maps are 'impressive'. I knew the situation wasn't good in Ireland, but I had no idea it has become so bad. What has happened ? I mean, this threefolding of unemployment cannot only be due to construction workers getting out of business. Any chance for maps tracing the change over time and on a economic sector level ?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »

Sounds like a good reason to annex Ireland into UK(Unless the rural areas decide to vote BNP or something else retarded).
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:15 AM »

Sounds like a good reason to annex Ireland into UK(Unless the rural areas decide to vote BNP or something else retarded).
[/quote]

Yeah, but it should be done quickly, in order to give the Irish a chance to coordinate with the Scotch on the next move ..
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:16 AM »

Yeah, but it should be done quickly, in order to give the Irish a chance to coordinate with the Scotch on the next move ..
[/quote]
Why would the Scottish try to cooperate with the Irish though?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Niall Ferguson is married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali and possibly West Cork? Now I'm intrigued.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »

Niall Ferguson is married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali and possibly West Cork? Now I'm intrigued.

We did point out that West Cork tended to be a bit hippyish.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »

Again with the compare and contrast... from earlier in the thread:

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »

Found some useful information recently so... Bumpity Bump.

Here's births outside of marriage - the timespan is probably too short to get a really good picture but trends are obvious:

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »

Bumping this thread for a slightly hilariously map. This was inspired by the house data Al had for Birmingham. Unfortunately I found nothing directly about the type of housing other than residence or apartment. So I did a 'living in Apartments' map

Again, it speaks for itself.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »

Any reasons for the dark colors outside of Dublin area? Universities?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »

Yes. But also because that's where the cities are.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »

That's what I thought, but I thought than Cork was too pale.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »

That's what I thought, but I thought than Cork was too pale.

Yeah, that's somewhat of an anomaly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »

Does Limerick feel like a small city or a large town?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »

Well, right now, it feels more like a medium sized swimming pool Tongue.

I'm not sure how to answer that actually. This is Ireland, even Dublin feels like an oversized village at times. And like elsewhere there is a lot of sprawl with the city centre feels a bit undersized in comparison to its population. The whole 'central area' can be walked in about an hour and a bit. On the other hand however, this is a city which has very much its own self-contained culture which is quite distinct from the rest of the country. It's much more self-consciously proletarian than any other Irish city as well as the most overtly and quite publicly Catholic (ObserverIE may correct me here, but it's the only city in Ireland I know where it's normal for shops to note on their windows that they sell mass cards). Rugby is very important. On the flip side, poverty, social deprivation, unemployment and violence (it's not known as 'stab city' for nothing) are much higher than almost anywhere else except the worst parts of Dublin.

Any other requests for Maps/topics?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2014, 03:35:31 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 03:37:29 AM by Јas »

Should be pretty self-explanatory.
It's simply the aggregated number of recorded murders by Garda division for the past 5 years (from q3 2008 through q3 2013 - the latest available quarter).

By my maths, it seems the over that 5 year period Ireland has recorded an average of exactly 1 murder per week.

Source: http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=CJQ03&PLanguage=0
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »

Well, right now, it feels more like a medium sized swimming pool Tongue.

I'm not sure how to answer that actually. This is Ireland, even Dublin feels like an oversized village at times. And like elsewhere there is a lot of sprawl with the city centre feels a bit undersized in comparison to its population. The whole 'central area' can be walked in about an hour and a bit. On the other hand however, this is a city which has very much its own self-contained culture which is quite distinct from the rest of the country. It's much more self-consciously proletarian than any other Irish city as well as the most overtly and quite publicly Catholic (ObserverIE may correct me here, but it's the only city in Ireland I know where it's normal for shops to note on their windows that they sell mass cards).

(Summoned from the deep...)

<snark>They sell more Mass cards in Limerick because they have more funerals per head of population than anywhere else.</snark>

The Mass card-buying demographic (a Catholic form of sympathy cards for the benefit of any non-Irish in the audience) would tend to be older and less prosperous than average, I suspect.

I'm afraid most of our "cities" are a bit too far south for me to visit on any sort of regular basis (I've been in Limerick about three times and was just relieved to get out alive). The notices Gully refers to would be unremarkable in rural towns; I wouldn't expect them in Dublin city centre, but I'd not be surprised to come across them in smaller shops in older, working or lower-middle class "traditional" areas of other cities (Crumlin or Finglas in Dublin, for example, or more down-at-heel areas of Cork or Waterford).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's been less violent over the last few years because of some of the main players being (temporarily or permanently) out of circulation. As Jas's map below indicates, west Dublin (the banlieues of Blanchardstown, Clondalkin and Tallaght) is now the main danger area.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies