Harris County, TX - Presidential results precinct map link
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Harris County, TX - Presidential results precinct map link
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Harris County, TX - Presidential results precinct map link  (Read 11432 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

also one of my questions is this: if you live in Tomball or Cyfair and you are sort of a Mark Kirk republican, what party do you run as if you want to run for office (congress or state lege)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »

The "White Flight havens" on Houston's periphery have always creeped me out. I tend to think if you want to have 90%+ of your neighbors be non-Hispanic whites, you need to find somewhere other than Houston to live (Utah or Minnesota, perhaps). I'm occasionally in Cypress visiting family friends who are a Santorum-Palin GOP's wet dream: wife never attended college, they go to an evangelical church twice a week, husband collects bumper stickers that are the Right's equivalent of snark ("Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing its idiot"). And the cookie cutter houses around the cul de sac are full of cookie cutter neighbors; an F-150 and an Expedition in every driveway (preferably with a Browning deer or Semper Fi sticker) and Fox News on every plasma TV.

what's the SES of the area like? The way you're describing them, I'm surprised they can afford to live in that area.

Houston-area real estate is dirt cheap. It's a combination of flat land that doesn't have to be graded; no zoning laws restricting housing supply; cheap immigrant labor; and ample real estate as the small farms and ranches that used to occupy most of the outlying areas have been sold by their heirs. You can get a 3-bedroom/2.5-bath house in a fairly decent neighborhood for less than $150K in these parts. You could argue that this contributes to the conservative proclivities of the inhabitants. A working-class family that would be renting in other parts of the country can own their own home and have it paid off within a fairly reasonable time frame, and they view themselves more as "taxpayers" and "stakeholders" in the middle- and upper-class sense.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »

also one of my questions is this: if you live in Tomball or Cyfair and you are sort of a Mark Kirk republican, what party do you run as if you want to run for office (congress or state lege)

You don't. A moderate Republican couldn't get elected in this area before 2010, let alone in the current Republican primary climate. This is the part of Harris County that keeps sending Debbie Riddle - famous for her illegal immigrant and terror baby conspiracy rants on CNN alongside Louie Gohmert - to the State House. She got primaried last year by a man who thought she wasn't conservative enough.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »

You don't. A moderate Republican couldn't get elected in this area before 2010, let alone in the current Republican primary climate. This is the part of Harris County that keeps sending Debbie Riddle - famous for her illegal immigrant and terror baby conspiracy rants on CNN alongside Louie Gohmert - to the State House. She got primaried last year by a man who thought she wasn't conservative enough.

so do you run as a dem instead?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »

so do you run as a dem instead?

You don't run. Period. Most of the state/local races in that area have Republicans running unopposed. Occasionally you have a token Democratic candidate, but it's usually either a liberal who has no chance of winning or an Old White Trial Lawyer type who also has no chance of winning.

I would really like to see the Texas Democrats find more Kathleen Sebelius types who can appeal to suburban Republicans - probably not many in the area we're discussing but more in the inner suburbs where the KBH-type Republicans are.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »

Hey! I live in Harris County. YAY!
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

Obama won it though. Tongue
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »

I would really like to see the Texas Democrats find more Kathleen Sebelius types who can appeal to suburban Republicans - probably not many in the area we're discussing but more in the inner suburbs where the KBH-type Republicans are.

I think we have a few but they are too scared to run.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »

Seems like a very polarized county (Houston is hard blue in non-Atlas colors, the suburbs hard red)
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »

Wow this is a pretty amazing map. You can tell what demographic groups live where base on this map. haha
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies