It's Hagel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It's Hagel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
Author Topic: It's Hagel  (Read 42306 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: February 24, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

It was one of the right's favorite talking points.

It's just a typical right wing drop.  Make something up, have the constituents hear it, and then never issue a correction.

Did you know Jeep is moving to China?

I hear Obama has budget $100 bil a year in Foreign Aid to his family in Kenya.

Did you know Obama is planning a $200 million dollar trip to India, with a couple thousand people, booking to the Taj Mahal, and its going to be with 34 warships?

And then he's going to decommission those warships in order to make America less safe so that Taliban can establish Sharia in the public schools.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #551 on: February 24, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »

Also, isn't it ridiculous how that whiny fag lover coon Obama always resorts to name calling instead of logical arguments in policy debate?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #552 on: February 24, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »

Also, isn't it ridiculous how that whiny fag lover coon Obama always resorts to name calling instead of logical arguments in policy debate?

I literally laughed out loud at that. Kudos.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #553 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »

Bob Dole has spoken out in favor of Hagel.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/21/4079263/bob-dole-supports-hagel-nomination.html
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #554 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »

The New York Times formally came out in support of Hagel's confirmation yesterday.

Also, a vote is scheduled for mid-afternoon to end the filibuster.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #555 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »

The New York Times formally came out in support of Hagel's confirmation yesterday.

If he gets confirmed will you please get his mugshot out of your signature?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #556 on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »

But he's a librul...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #557 on: February 26, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

If he gets confirmed will you please get his mugshot out of your signature?

Or just turn off signatures...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #558 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »

What stellar qualifications does Hagel have over others?  None.  It's going to be a disaster when he gets confirmed.  Get used to hearing his name a lot on TV.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #559 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »

What stellar qualifications does Hagel have over others?  None.  It's going to be a disaster when he gets confirmed.  Get used to hearing his name a lot on TV.

And what do you propose? Withdraw his name?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #560 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »

I respectfully disagree.  Yeah, he'll get slammed by Republicans, but in 15-20 years, I think he'll be in the history books as one of the greatest Defense Secretaries of modern times.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »

At this stage of the game, no way.  What I want to know is why Obama nominated him, and not from some bullsh**t Rose Garden spiel or Jay Carney bullsh**t talking points.......this guy was not the best person available.  He's going to go down as a disaster, not as Inks thinks, a hero.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

At this stage of the game, no way.  What I want to know is why Obama nominated him, and not from some bullsh**t Rose Garden spiel or Jay Carney bullsh**t talking points.......this guy was not the best person available.  He's going to go down as a disaster, not as Inks thinks, a hero.

Agreed. Even without his seeming incompetence, you can't be a good defense secretary if half of congress doesn't trust you. I don't think he will end well...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »

Agreed. Even without his seeming incompetence, you can't be a good defense secretary if half of congress doesn't trust you. I don't think he will end well...

But it's not that half of Congress doesn't trust him.  It's that half of Congress is playing partisan games.  His stances are the same as they were in 2006, and back when he left Congress, major Senate Republicans were talking about how great of a Senator he was.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »

But it's not that half of Congress doesn't trust him.  It's that half of Congress is playing partisan games.  His stances are the same as they were in 2006, and back when he left Congress, major Senate Republicans were talking about how great of a Senator he was.

He's not running for Senate.  I can't wait until his first real appearance before the committee as SecDef.  His senate buddies are still not going to trust him, which is Gamecock's very good point.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »

He's not running for Senate.  I can't wait until his first real appearance before the committee as SecDef.  His senate buddies are still not going to trust him, which is Gamecock's very good point.

He wasn't running for Senate then.  And since when does the opposition's opinion of a cabinet member affect how good of a job they objectively do?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #566 on: February 26, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

Inks, I hope I am not opening a Pandora's box here, but why are you so fond of Hagel?  It is one thing to support him; quite another to make him some kind of icon. Just curious.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #567 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »

He wasn't running for Senate then.  And since when does the opposition's opinion of a cabinet member affect how good of a job they objectively do?

Inks, he won't be on an island.  He needs Congressional support to objectively do his job.  He's not a dictator, he needs to go up on the Hill to get what he wants.  If he doesn't have credibility when making his requests to Congress, or looks like a bumbling fool, he's not going to succeed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #568 on: February 26, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »

Inks, I hope I am not opening a Pandora's box here, but why are you so fond of Hagel?  It is one thing to support him; quite another to make him some kind of icon. Just curious.

I wouldn't call him an icon.  Apart from foreign policy, there are certainly things I disagree with him on.  But I think his foreign policy stances have been unique and non-partisan, which is ultimately what the Defense Secretary should be about.  DoD shouldn't be about who's right and who's wrong or who's trying to win an election - it should be about defense.  Apart from the Secret Service, it should be our most non-political government department/agency/office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

The filibuster has ended so he's in. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »

The filibuster has ended so he's in. 

71-27, with 2 not voting, for those who care.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »

Loking at the cloture vote map, it's funny to see that so many Deep South Republicans end up being saner that the Western/Midwestern types.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

Loking at the cloture vote map, it's funny to see that so many Deep South Republicans end up being saner that the Western/Midwestern types.

Yeah, for some reason Deep South Republican senators are generally less insane on these sorts of common-sense things than those from the Midwest, who you would expect to be more moderate. That's probably just them being older/longer-serving though. Once they retire I assume they'll be replaced by insane teabaggers.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #573 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »

I'm glad to see Tom Coburn exercising his reputation for being sensible by the standards of people with his positions.

What is even up with Rand Paul?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #574 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »

I'm glad to see Tom Coburn exercising his reputation for being sensible by the standards of people with his positions.

What is even up with Rand Paul?

he seems to want to stall everything until he gets answers on drones.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies